E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Fog Light Bulb Replacement 2009 E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E320 Bluetec
Fog Light Bulb Replacement 2009 E320

Howdy fellow MB enthusiasts. I am the proud owner of my very first MB, purchased yesterday. Its a 2009 E320 Bluetec. First item I want to tweak is replacing the yellow fog light bulbs with the new Extreme White PIAAs I have purchased.Problem: How the Heck do I access the bulb assembly? I can't reach through the engine compartment, and after search this forum, I learned that there is supposed to be an access cover below the fog light, BUT my car does not have an access panel (no screws to loosen, no access from below). Do the Fog Lights pop out from the front? Please help. Sorry for this Noob question And thanks for any tips you can provide.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,424 Likes on 3,148 Posts
'71 Pinto
You will need to detach lower engine paneling – check PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:21 AM

2009 E320 Bluetec
Awesome, infos, thank you for your PM! Will install tonight.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E550
Originally Posted by SauerkrautE320
Howdy fellow MB enthusiasts. I am the proud owner of my very first MB, purchased yesterday. Its a 2009 E320 Bluetec. First item I want to tweak is replacing the yellow fog light bulbs with the new Extreme White PIAAs I have purchased.Problem: How the Heck do I access the bulb assembly? I can't reach through the engine compartment, and after search this forum, I learned that there is supposed to be an access cover below the fog light, BUT my car does not have an access panel (no screws to loosen, no access from below). Do the Fog Lights pop out from the front? Please help. Sorry for this Noob question And thanks for any tips you can provide.
I've had a pair of PIAA extreme's sitting on my shelf too.. have been too lazy to put them in. Did you PM instructions? I would like them as well.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:17 PM

2009 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by MB4tronic
I've had a pair of PIAA extreme's sitting on my shelf too.. have been too lazy to put them in. Did you PM instructions? I would like them as well.
Its pretty simple actually: you must remove the forward sound shield. 8 screws (4 per side). A little maneuvering to get it out from underneath the bumper and the center sound shield (sits above both). Once removed, easy access from below to each fog light. I was emailed the diagram showing screw location, if you want these, PM me your email and I'll forward.

Kinda curious that with all MB's engineering they forgot to create a little access door in that panel vs needing to remove it just to change a light bulb.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:52 PM

2009 C300
re: fog light bulbs swapout;
I have an '09 C300 & want to replace the 55w foglight stock bulbs, ( they're really not bad , probably German Phillips) with the 65w Osram Hypers. Before I call my dealer, ( don't like them) can anybody advise if these 65's will do any damage to the harness or box. 65W is legal in my jurisdiction, which I could care less about, but do care about wire overheat/fuse /harness problems.
Any help greatly appreciated.Thanks All.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:50 AM

2009 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by introoder
re: fog light bulbs swapout;
I have an '09 C300 & want to replace the 55w foglight stock bulbs, ( they're really not bad , probably German Phillips) with the 65w Osram Hypers. Before I call my dealer, ( don't like them) can anybody advise if these 65's will do any damage to the harness or box. 65W is legal in my jurisdiction, which I could care less about, but do care about wire overheat/fuse /harness problems.
Any help greatly appreciated.Thanks All.
Sorry mate, a little beyond my scope of knowledge, other then this: in past wiring projects for other vehicles (including motorcycles), I never exceeded the original wattage for which the harness was designed for. I may have used high discharge bulbs (i.e. Xenon or LED even) which drew the same or less wattage but had increased Lumens output. Personally, I wouldn't go with higher wattage bulbs on the same harness - yes, it'll take it in short spurts, but if left on for long times you may run into problems. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Kinda curious that with all MB's engineering they forgot to create a little access door in that panel vs needing to remove it just to change a light bulb.
You mean if owners want to swap the bulbs for different colour every now and then? Other than that there is no need to access those bulbs within the lifetime of the car (assuming fogs are used only when the weather conditions allow).
Old 11-11-2011, 12:01 PM

2009 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
You mean if owners want to swap the bulbs for different colour every now and then? Other than that there is no need to access those bulbs within the lifetime of the car (assuming fogs are used only when the weather conditions allow).
Sorry but beg to differ. Having the Canadian Model with driving lights, the fogs also come on every time I corner or engage the turn signals - believe it or not, bulbs do burn out. This makes access a necessity for maintenance
Old 01-23-2014, 07:21 AM

Mercedes E320 Sport
Its pretty simple actually: you must remove the forward sound shield. 8 screws (4 per side). A little maneuvering to get it out from underneath the bumper and the center sound shield (sits above both). Once removed, easy access from below to each fog light. I was emailed the diagram showing screw location, if you want these, PM me your email and I'll forward.

I need to replace my nearside fog lamp, can you please advise me where the 8 screws are located