Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
7th Most Profitable car - Money Magazine

Mercedes-Benz E Class

"Est. profits since 1995: $13 billion

The E-class combines the desirable attributes, from a business standpoint, of being both pricey and popular.

In fact, the E-class would have even fatter profits than the S-class but for one problem: huge warranty costs for the last problem-plagued generation [ W211] that drained virtually all the profit from that version, according to Warburton.

Fortunately, the new E-class seems to have the bugs worked out, said Warburton, and it's selling very well."

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 11-29-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
I wonder if "profitable" includes all the parts their owners had to replace after warranty
Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Mercedes-Benz E Class

The E-class combines the desirable attributes, from a business standpoint, of being both pricey and popular.

In fact, the E-class would have even fatter profits than the S-class but for one problem: huge warranty costs for the last problem-plagued generation [ W211] that drained virtually all the profit from that version, according to Warburton.

Fortunately, the new E-class seems to have the bugs worked out, said Warburton, and it's selling very well."
Hopefully they will use some of that money to redesign the interior...

The interior of the W212 has yet to grow on me. I wish it looked more organic and elegant and had some curves. It's like the only shape they used is a trapezoid.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55
Love the W211s!
Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by togaclk55
Love the W211s!
Safety-wise I prefer the W212 and even the exterior has really grown on me. Also the ergonomics are also much better with the W212.

However, each time I'm in my car, I really appreciate the interior of the W211. It is elegant and classy with so much detail. If you ever park the car and look over it from an upstairs window you will really appreciate how all the interior and dashboard curves and layers seamless blend together. I've tried very hard to like it but the W212 interior seems so cold and just a notch above tat of the C class. What a shame because MB designed such a great interior with the new S class and they could have used some of those design details on the E class...
Old 11-30-2011, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
I agree. The 211's interior is much more elegant than the 212's. Even the newly freshened C class is better than the 212's interior.

Yeah... I agree, the 211's must have been a financial disaster for MB... after trying so hard to come up to date with the competition. I hope their lesson wasn't "simple & stodgy has always worked, let's go back to that."
Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
I agree. The 211's interior is much more elegant than the 212's. Even the newly freshened C class is better than the 212's interior.

Yeah... I agree, the 211's must have been a financial disaster for MB... after trying so hard to come up to date with the competition. I hope their lesson wasn't "simple & stodgy has always worked, let's go back to that."
I hope they don't fall behind on technology as that is what I find special about these cars. It's a shame MB has yet to implement a proper heads up display for navigation and basic driving information, as is available with the new BMWs. Also how you can spell out the names of who you want to call with your finger on the new Audi A6 is brilliant!

I like the interior feel of the CLS and it should have been the new E class but MB has made sure I would not consider it with the ridiculous back seats that only seats 2 and stupid contraption compartment in the middle where the third person would sit that I'd never use for anything...

Hopefully they will do something special with the W212 interior with the mid cycle refresh.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ya the w211 interior is really nice. i can't speak for the mb tex, but with the full leather i really like it. I mean the styling and buttons/knobs layout is quite nice. Only complaint is wish the comand screen was higher

Last edited by gaazmon; 11-30-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Eclass, 03 BMW 06 Porsche Cayman S, 03 Harley Davidson "bored & stroked"
Mercedes-Benz E Class

i'm not sure if that accolade is positive or not for owners, does that mean MB is over charging for the Eclass? Reason i say that is i always see articles stating that Porsche is the most profitable car manufacturer, and the reason is the sharing of parts through out its line-up and that the cars are very option laden. Example the price range of a 911 can vary from $90k to $180 for a 911 turbo S and a well optioned Porsche can easily have $15K to $25 worth of options and can still go up from there for options like "paint to match" and 100% full leather interior (includes air vents, pillars, sun visors, ignition key surround, etc.) The S class falls into that option trap too And i'm sure service adds to the profit margin too even more so now that MB discontinued the free scheduled maintenance....
Old 12-01-2011, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Davel
i'm not sure if that accolade is positive or not for owners, does that mean MB is over charging for the Eclass? Reason i say that is i always see articles stating that Porsche is the most profitable car manufacturer, and the reason is the sharing of parts through out its line-up and that the cars are very option laden. Example the price range of a 911 can vary from $90k to $180 for a 911 turbo S and a well optioned Porsche can easily have $15K to $25 worth of options and can still go up from there for options like "paint to match" and 100% full leather interior (includes air vents, pillars, sun visors, ignition key surround, etc.) The S class falls into that option trap too And i'm sure service adds to the profit margin too even more so now that MB discontinued the free scheduled maintenance....
it's ridiculous the option list for porsches and there are so many variants now it's unbelievable. kind of bothers me to what the company's philosophy has become
Old 12-01-2011, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by gaazmon
it's ridiculous the option list for porsches and there are so many variants now it's unbelievable. kind of bothers me to what the company's philosophy has become
Custom designed/Built cars helps justify the price charged and makes car a truely unique piece.