E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

About to hit 100K and need help with a gameplan before my warranty expires.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 Nissan Maxima
About to hit 100K and need help with a gameplan before my warranty expires.

My 06 E350 is about to hit 100K and my aftermarket warranty will expire. Is there a specific gameplan I should follow, IE do you take it to the dealer and have a complete inspections done, etc...

Thanks,

BC
Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
Im in the same boat so I'll be paying attention to this thread. Car was at the dealer this week and is in great condition. Service rep gave me a checklist and said the car was perfect.

I want to keep the car. Are there any warranty options at this point?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 AM

01 Nissan Maxima
anyone??? I guess I should have posted in the main section.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:01 PM
brm

2008 E350 Sport
Smile

I'm surprised at the lack of response, but FWIW, it depends on your tolerance for risk. You're not going to get another warranty, so it makes sense to have the car thoroughly checked out and replace anything that needs replacing while your current warranty is still in effect. After that, it's your decision as to whether to continue to drive an older, expensive car at the risk of having to put large amounts of money into it if it breaks, but enjoying the experience if it doesn't. It's usually cheaper to drive a car into the ground than to trade regularly, and Mercedes' mechanical bits are generally quite long-lived, so if you still trust the car, there's no reason to get rid of it. On the other hand, if you get palpitations at the thought of owning a luxury car whose parts and service prices remain at the luxury level while its value has declined to used Ford levels, without a warranty, then it may be time for a new Merc--or Ford.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
As I recall there was an MB program to extend the warranty for another year or 30k, for a charge at least.

I'd take the car to an MB indie for a Ppi inspection with the warranty booklet in hand. have them go through every section and take notes if they find a leak, failure, etc. If they do find a problem, reference and quote the section in writing. Before going to the dealer, document the problem vaguely. For example, Mb warranty section 21 covers power steering components. Problem: "possible leak found in area of power steering" Don't let them blame it on a non covered component unless they put it in writing and reference their service documents.Be prepared to pay for an oil change or a brake fluid change. Ask to see the senior service person.When I did this,I got over $4k in repairs done for the cost of an oil change on the G.

But they still can't fix the door latches on the G500.

Last edited by grane; 01-04-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
If no warranty do proper maintenance. Pay for repairs. That is what I do at 115,000 miles.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Take it to an indie/mb dealer and let them know that your warranty is going to expire soon. And for them to go over what they think needs to be repaired. Below are common issues/repairs:

CPS sensor
tranny sensor- if there is a tranny leak detected
check for rear main seal leak
valve cover gaskets leak
heater valve for rear
a/c motor valve under the ps dash
motor mounts
ball joints
Old 01-05-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 E350-4M SPORT
Call it blasphemy, but I suggest you sell your car, before the warranty expires.

I have 2 years and 25K left on my extended factory warranty (6/75). I can assure you that I will sell my car when it reaches 74K. NFW will I get stuck with paying for repairs. One burp or fart can cost thousands of dollars. I love to gamble, but not with these cars... it's the worst bet in the house.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:32 PM

01 Nissan Maxima
Originally Posted by SteveC325
Call it blasphemy, but I suggest you sell your car, before the warranty expires.

I have 2 years and 25K left on my extended factory warranty (6/75). I can assure you that I will sell my car when it reaches 74K. NFW will I get stuck with paying for repairs. One burp or fart can cost thousands of dollars. I love to gamble, but not with these cars... it's the worst bet in the house.
Thanks for all the replies.

I do not intend to sell the car and I am aware of the risks. I am about 40 miles short of 100K and just needed a gameplan to get any work done prior to the warranty expiring.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:09 AM

03 Eclass, 03 BMW 06 Porsche Cayman S, 03 Harley Davidson "bored & stroked"
what i did was take mine to several MB dealers for a free comprehisive check (mulitpoint check) since different tech focus on different things. That was 2 years ago and the car has had no issues. There is no additional extended warranty offered by MB.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by SteveC325

Nope, not Blasphemy. good advice if you can afford to do it. I would have traded mine at 100,000 but economics today prohibit me from buying a new car at this time.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Davel
what i did was take mine to several MB dealers for a free comprehisive check (mulitpoint check) since different tech focus on different things.
There is no additional extended warranty offered by MB.
There is no free check where i frequent.

Guess that warranty extension program disappeared.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
During the past holidays, MB was sending me emails/mail for free winter check/inspection. The thing is this is just visual stuff. But you want to knock out any leaks that you may have. ( tranny, rear mail, valve cover) that costs alot for labor.