E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Anyone with the audio problem....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with the audio problem....

How long did it take you guys cars to be fixed (with the Audio Gateway problem)?

My car has been in the shop for one week, and it still has not been fixed. They also have not given me a loaner car, i'm very frustrated.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:16 PM
Almost a Member!

MB E320, BMW 323i
Superboy10022,

I had to leave mine overnight. I'm not sure if it was due to the service technicians not starting until late in the day, though.

For sure, you should demand a loaner car since this is a defect. The two times I've had to bring my car in, my dealership has offered loaner cars.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:44 PM

2013 GL550
You probably don't want to hear this but I dropped mine off in the morning and picked it up that evening. New auido gateway installed to fix dead radio and defective teleaid message.

Good luck!!

Bruce
Old 06-19-2003, 11:09 PM

2010 E550
When I tried to turn on Audio today I got the MB logo and "Mercedes Benz" on the display and then turns off. I tried teleaid and it said it was connecting then connected but I heard nothing, Is this the same problem you all had. I'd like to be able to tell them how to fix it when I bring it in rather than them futz around trying to figure it out.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
Hey superboy what happen to your audio
what is audio gateway?
Old 06-20-2003, 12:25 AM
Almost a Member!

Here..

STKLAW- When I dropped the car at the dealership, I just told them that the audio system shuts off periodically. He then told me it was an Audio Gateway malfunction....so they should know what your talking about!

sf49ers79- The audio system just shuts off like once every 30 min. Then after that it just starts to shut off like after every song or so. When I turn it back on, the MB logo shows...and then it takes like another 15 min to come back on.

The dealership called me and said it will be ready tommorow morning. I hope it is really true, because they have been telling me this for the past 3 days or so. They are also spraying 'Perma-Paint' or something like that on the car tommowo..which takes another 4 hours!!

I MISS MY E500!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2003, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
I don't get that kind of problem... my problem is different. I order the HK sound. Everytime i turn it out loud, the back cover seems not seal properly so when the bass kick, the back cover seems to with it and have a sounds that like speaker is broken... do you guys understand what i'm trying to say because it's really hard to explain it in english. Anybody having this kind of problem?
Old 06-20-2003, 06:05 AM

SuperBoy,

Before I had my audio gateway replaced, the radio would show an error and would not do anything. I would have to restart the motor to reset it. The SRS visit workshop would also come on too. They replaced the gateway 5 months ago, no problems since. The dealer first ordered the part which took about 4 days to get here, I then took my car in to get the part replaced. They always provide me with MB loaner from C, ML, and E class. I left the car with them for 5 hours and it was ready for me to pick up on the same day. I do not understand how your dealer did not provide you with a loaner.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:07 AM

2003 W211 E240
I just had my audio gateway replaced today. I left my car in workshop this morning and pick up in the afternoon.
they not only replace the gateway for me but also upgrade all the software. I hope the audio system and phone system will not have problem anymore.
my car also had the "SRS visit workshop" message displayed before, and the dealer replaced the electrical gateway.
so far, everything seems allright
Old 06-20-2003, 09:18 AM

2010 E550
Originally posted by shtsai
I just had my audio gateway replaced today. I left my car in workshop this morning and pick up in the afternoon.
they not only replace the gateway for me but also upgrade all the software. I hope the audio system and phone system will not have problem anymore.
my car also had the "SRS visit workshop" message displayed before, and the dealer replaced the electrical gateway.
so far, everything seems allright
Was your audio system shutting down and/or not turning on?
Old 06-20-2003, 10:30 AM

2003 W211 E240
To: STKLAW
it was shutting down and couldn't turn on?
after restart motor, it can be turned on again

Old 06-22-2003, 10:56 AM

e-500 AUDIO PROBLEM

within a week of purchase of my new E-500 I had audio problems. Radio would shut off and on, when changing stations I could change audio not video. Brought car in 3 times but they did not fix it. Filed car under the LEMON LAW. Had to bring in 4th and final time. NO FIX. I now am receiving a check for what I paid for this car, tax, tags, and title. Minus 20 cents a mile for usage. I was the right solution for me. Not certain if I have the faith in MB to purchase another. However it is such an awsome car. Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2003, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
Re: e-500 AUDIO PROBLEM

Originally posted by springtime
within a week of purchase of my new E-500 I had audio problems. Radio would shut off and on, when changing stations I could change audio not video. Brought car in 3 times but they did not fix it. Filed car under the LEMON LAW. Had to bring in 4th and final time. NO FIX. I now am receiving a check for what I paid for this car, tax, tags, and title. Minus 20 cents a mile for usage. I was the right solution for me. Not certain if I have the faith in MB to purchase another. However it is such an awsome car. Hope this helps.
Change video?? Didn't know this was a released feature. I am still waiting for the retrofit of DVD Nav to get the TV/Video functionality.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:41 PM

When I refer to video I mean the screen that shows the stations and options. As far as Nav being retro fit good luck. From all that I have found out that is not possible. MB is however offering to any that ordered and paid for Nav. a brand new car with Nav. for others that had asked for nav. from tha beginig and was not available MB is offering a $3,250 voucher towards your next MB.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:20 PM
DHS

2008 G500, 1969 280SL, 2008 Porsche Carerra C2S and 2011 BMW Z4
SPRINGTIME

I THINK YOU ARE WAY TO PICKY......LEMON LAW FOR A RADIO....GO BUY A LEXUS..........
Old 06-22-2003, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
Originally posted by springtime
When I refer to video I mean the screen that shows the stations and options. As far as Nav being retro fit good luck. From all that I have found out that is not possible. MB is however offering to any that ordered and paid for Nav. a brand new car with Nav. for others that had asked for nav. from tha beginig and was not available MB is offering a $3,250 voucher towards your next MB.
I am in Aust, we have euro options here. My command retrofit is scheduled for next month. The E55 comes standard with DVD Nav here (it's supposed to anyway!). The TV tuner is an option that I selected.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:25 AM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I've had the "Audio Gateway" or "connection not established" error code before. Today the "SRS Malfunction - visit workshop" warning lit up.

Drove home - shut the car down - SRS light must have reset.

I'm beginning to think that purchasing this car when my lease is up might not be an option.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:50 PM

CLS63
Rattling noise when music turned up

In regards to SF's rattling noise complaint. I'm 99% sure it's not a broken speaker. turn you music up and sit in the back seat. it's probably not even your rear shelf. check the your roof where the window meets the roof of your car. The padding inside tends to rattle when bass hits. you need to use something to eliminate that.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:00 AM

2003 E320
Originally posted by sf49ers79
I don't get that kind of problem... my problem is different. I order the HK sound. Everytime i turn it out loud, the back cover seems not seal properly so when the bass kick, the back cover seems to with it and have a sounds that like speaker is broken... do you guys understand what i'm trying to say because it's really hard to explain it in english. Anybody having this kind of problem?
Is what you are discribing a sort of rattle/vibration that corolates with moderate base setting?

If so, mine does the same thing. I have further comments from the tech. if other people are experiencing same.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:12 PM

2003 E320
HK Logic 7 Audio anomaly (2003) Non Nav

Originally Posted by CaptMike
Those of you with 03 HK surround sound stereo systems...try this test and tell us what your results are.

1. Make sure LOGIC-7 is selected.

2. Use FM or a CD

3. Select the balance to FULL Right then go left ONE segment.

4. Select fader FULL REAR

5. Select the TREBBLE about 6/8ths scale.

6. Select the BASS about 4 segments lower than the treble.

7. Make sure music is playing

8. Listen for about 3-5 mins. at moderate volume level (normal)

What do you hear?

The point here is NOT to dissect the reasons for listing at this setting. It is ONLY to point out a possible abnormality

konigstiger-I received a call from Niles counter part for central/northern California area. I explained the audio problem to him. He in turn called my dealer and got there side of the story. The dealer stated that ALL of the 03 E class with the HK Logic 7 head have this anomaly...which I would agree based on myself be able to duplicate the problem on about 8 cars that were on the lot at that time. The gentleman could only say that in fact there is a anomaly when listened to in that setting position but that is not the NORMAL position for usage (so don’t set in that position) and unfortunately there is no remedy for it. We discussed installing a 04 head unit...which would fit..but he indicated it would not work with the rest of the system.

He acknowledged that I was dissatisfied and offered me a CD changer (told him I had one)..he offered me a 1 year extended warrantee...told him I already have one and don't plan on keeping the car that long.

Any ideas on what you might want to ask for as a comp?
Old 12-20-2004, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
For those of us who don't have the problem, what exactly are you hearing?? What you hear determines what to ask for.

I dont know what the dollar value (to the people offing the settlement) of a CD changer plus installation time is... or what the cost to them of a 1 year warranty is. Why not get something you could use like 1,2,3 or 4 tires, (which you surely will need during the lifetime of the car (or sell them brand new on line!)

Some wheels, a $$ off your best deal certificate redeemable towards your next MB purchase (redeemable at any dealer). A travel voucher for a weekend away, or to apply towards ED... a new Bowling Ball Bag. There are many things that might be a nice free bonus!

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 12-20-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:02 PM

2003 E320
The Wheels are noted....thanks Barry
Old 12-20-2004, 07:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by CaptMike
Any ideas on what you might want to ask for as a comp?
Check your PM.