E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Cadillac SLS vs. E500... no contest!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 996 C2 Cabrio
Cadillac SLS vs. E500... no contest!

Yes, these cars are in different price categories (SLS maxes out around $55K), but the difference in refinement between these two vehicles is embarrasing!

I recently rented a Caddy SLS with the Northstar V-8 engine and some Michelin passenger tires and here are my impressions compared to the E500 (sport).

1. The SLS hops and jumps all over the road. Bouncy tires with a bouncy suspension make for... guess what... a very bouncy ride! The E is a "sports car" compared to the Caddy.

2. The SLS rear end was all over the place. Really poor body control. The E is stable, even at really high speed with the air suspension in its softest mode.

3. The Northstar V-8 is SLS trim is really poor. It may be a result of the tranny... late and weak power delivery with a lot of noise. With the E, jam the pedal and WHOOSH! You get smooth, effortless power delivery!

4. Interior level of finish is nice for an American car (GM), but pales in comparison to the detail in the E.

5. American seats. Simply not ergonomic. Nothing more needs to be said here!

I know the Caddy STS would be a better comparison with the E500 sport, but nonetheless, my impressions of the top of GM's line are less than impressive.

This E is really sweet. Knick-knacks aside, this car is really a refined machine...
Old 06-22-2003, 11:01 PM

very true

Its sad but the American automobile industry cannot compare to that of Europe or Japan for that matter.I have waited many years for the US to produce a serious contender in the luxury/sport department,and we have gotten NOTHING.From the fit and finish,to the designs,the cheap plastics used in the interiors,the handling, and refinement of the engines and trannys.American cars in general just plain SUCK.And this is coming from a red blooded American tax paying citizen.I used to think it was our society and the type of work ethic it produced,and maybe thats still the case.But the BMW X5 I had(fantastic truck in all aspects, fit and finish included) was built in South Carolina I believe,by American workers,so there has to be more to it.Why the hell can't Caddy or Lincoln design and build a world class car??? Its pathetic if you ask me,and its why I have owned nothing but 2 Volvos,1 BMW and 3 Benzes in the past 7 years,Europeans build the best cars,and I'd even choose a Jap(God forbid,hehe) if I had to over an American car.......
Old 06-22-2003, 11:53 PM

14 'E550
Come on, the current SLS/STS date back to 1998......there hasn't been a full redesign since. The new STS will be out soon, I believe as an 05. Should be a hot car, its going to be RWD and is going to pack at least 320hp base (probably more). There will most definitely be a V series as well.

The new CTS V is just a sign of things to come from Cadillac, there are rumors of V12s and Twin Turbos in the pipeline.

You can't compare a 6 year old car to one that just came out 9 or 10 months ago, that's silly.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had never even considered a Cadillac in my purchase decision. Bob Seger is cool with Chevy trucks, but Zeppelin with Cadillac was a bit of a let down.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:04 PM
RAI
Almost a Member!

2003 E 500
I don't think/hope that most M-B buyers wouldn't even consider a Cadillac! Sheesh!! BMW, Luxus, Audi, Jaguar-yes. But, Cadillac? I'd hate to think that they're on the same shopping list!

-RAI
Old 06-23-2003, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally posted by RAI
I don't think/hope that most M-B buyers wouldn't even consider a Cadillac! Sheesh!! BMW, Luxus, Audi, Jaguar-yes. But, Cadillac? I'd hate to think that they're on the same shopping list!

-RAI
yea i think your right. i think people who drive MB's would consider Caddy in 10-15 years, i remember getting a avis loaner 02 DeVille. very nice car, its big, its quiet, and smooth. the power is good on it too, but overall it is very boring....not in the same class at all with an E
Old 06-23-2003, 08:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 G Wagon / 2012 CLS 550
Beyond the 'differences' they are made for 'different' buyers.

Both are great cars for their respective age groups.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
they are different cars, but I have driven in a new Deville DTS. Very smooth ride, smooth drivetrain, plush seats, no handling, floaty steering. But they are going for different buyer segments.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
American cars have fallen behind, that's why chrysler is coming up with the 300C, Cadillac with the CTS-V, but they will still lack interior room and refinement.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:30 PM

SL500
The only true contenders Cadillac makes is the CTS & the upcoming XLR. Once they introduce there new trucks (not rebadged chevys), Seville & Deville the transformation will be complete. I feel that Cadillac does have the ability to compete with the best from Germany and Japan, there problem is two-fold. First, they don't improve enough model year to model year. MB is constantly making adjustments/improvements year to year, does Cadillac? Second, they come out with a breakthrough design (i.e. Allante, CTS) and a few years later decide to give up on it and come up with something completely different. A successful auto company needs to choose a design theme and build on it, not keep trying to reinvent the wheel.

The real test is not how well the CTS will sell the next 3-5 years, but what Cadillac does to improve this automobile through it's model life and even more importantly, will the next generation CTS follow the same "theme" as the current car but with major improvements, such as MB did with the C,E, & SL classes.

It'll be interesting to see how good Cadillac really is.