E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Airmatic Susp Question (attn ex-bimmer)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Airmatic Susp Question (attn ex-bimmer)

I was wanting to get a "concensus" from ex-bimmer owners on the various settings of the airmatic versus various suspension setups in comparable bimmers.

Personally I went from a 99 528i with Sport Package to my E500 (non-sport). I'd have to say the Comfort setting is softer than the Sport BMW, the Sport1 seems like a good match though.

How about Sport2? Is that more like an M5 or stiffer.. maybe like a Dinan Stage 2 or 3 suspension?

Anyone drive a M5 to compare? Just wondering =)

Thanks
Peter
Old 06-23-2003, 12:19 PM
RAI
Almost a Member!

2003 E 500
I'd say Sport 1 is close to a standard 528i suspension. It's not exact, though, 'cause the E class has the ability to switch from softer to harder and back again. To me, this makes the E on Sport 1 seem a bit softer than a 528i when just cruising, but a bit stiffer than a 528i when you're driving more aggressively. Sport 2 seems too stiff to me for everyday driving- but awesome on a very twisty road with good surface condition.

-RAI
Old 06-24-2003, 10:36 AM

does the E's computer change to comfort mode when in sport I or II during certain driving conditions?

i've never just drive a long time in sport I or II. i change the setting all the time depending on road conditions and speed.

i find the comfort mode in city (low speed) driving to be annoying (too much body movement) but necessary on hwy.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:48 PM
Almost a Member!

MB E320, BMW 323i
NitroShredder,

I sold my '98 528i for an E320 with the Sports Package. I think the Sport I setting is close to feeling most like the 5-series. However, as I mentioned in another thread, even with the Sport I setting, the E-class still drives "bigger" than the 5-series did. It's a driving experience that is hard to explain. That said, I'm still glad I got the E320.

The Sport II is way too harsh of a ride for everyday driving. It jolts every bone in your body - esp. with all the badly paved roads here in the Bay Area.

bmw2mb: I do not believe the car automatically switches between the comfort and sports settings per se. I believe the only thing the car does automatically is lower the ride height depending upon the speed.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:41 PM
RAI
Almost a Member!

2003 E 500
bmw2mb,

According to what I've read in a bunch of car mag reviews, an E with airmatic suspension has several primary stiffness settings- 4 settings, if I recall correctly. In Sport I, the softest of these settings (comfort) is locked out. In Sport II, the softest TWO of these settings is locked out- leaving only the stiffest 2 settings. In Sport I setting the car will NOT go into the softest (comfort) setting at any time, and in Sport II it will NOT go into the softest two settings at any time. So, to answer your question, the E's computer will NOT change to comfort mode when in sport I or II during any driving conditions, at any time. You can see this for yourself- put the car in Sport II and drive on the smoothest road you can find, and you will note that the car is not reverting to comfort mode- it will lack the "float" of comfort mode and it will still obviously be in a stiffer mode setting. You will see that, no matter how smooth and straight the road, the car will NOT go into comfort mode when in Sport I or Sport II setting. Because of the smoothness of the road it won't be as apparent that you're not in comfort mode, but if you pay attention to movement damping especially it will be obvious that the car is locked out of comfort mode. This is a good thing as far as I'm concerned- I've
set my car to Sport I and I wouldn't want it to switch over to comfort mode.

According to the car mags, airmatic adjusts spring stiffness, shock stiffness, and ride height. So, all of these are variables that are adjusted by the airmatic- not just ride height. Supposedly, these adjustments can occur within a fraction of a second! I, for one, can clearly tell that this is going on. When duffing about, the car seems a tad soft to me, but I can feel it stiffen up when cornering aggressively. I can also feel the transmission shift more crisply when driving hard. It's all pretty cool!
Old 06-26-2003, 03:17 PM

that makes sense...when in comfort mode and taking a corner...the car does react differently than you would expect. it's not as soft and you have more control. i guess in comfort mode, it could quickly change to sport I or II and when the sensors detect no more 'aggressive driving', sport mode is disabled.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:05 PM

I have found that it is easy and very cool to shift to Sport I or II just before entering a tight turn, freeway ramp, etc. to tighten up the suspension, then shift back to Comfort setting when back on the straight. The reaction time is nearly instantaneous. Just one of the many tricks in this highly techno automobile.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:59 PM

Suspension settings vs M5

I would say that sport 1 is the most equivalent to the M5 and sport 2 is stiffer. I really like this adjustable suspension better than the one on my M5 which I thought was too soft and allowed too much roll in corners.