E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Command II DVD Navigation for 03 Es has arrived

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-24-2003, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk430, e500
and can u play VCD on it?
thx nice pic!
Old 06-24-2003, 08:31 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Originally posted by bmms8
wow, nice big screen, whats the difference between NAV, and map? thankss again for the pics
map is the map of where you are. It can be zoomed and panned. Nav is a set of options to find a place to go, places of interest, etc.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:37 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Originally posted by AMGB
Thanks for the pics.

1. Can you scroll through the presets from the steering wheel?
2. What does the center spedometer look when the navi is on?
3. How is the sound of the stereo system?
4. Did you get the voice activation? If so, can you tell it letters of the street name by voice command?
5. Can you enter designation while the car is in motion?
6. Can you play a dvd in it?

So excited...

amgB
1. I will try this later.
2. It shows the street you are on, direction of the upcoming turn, distance to turn.
3. Sounds great. Nav voice causes audio station to dim when issuing a command.
4. I will get that next. It is supposed to work with nav.
5. I will try this later.
6. I will try this later.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the pics.

1. Can you scroll through the presets from the steering wheel?
2. What does the center spedometer look when the navi is on?
3. How is the sound of the stereo system?
4. Did you get the voice activation? If so, can you tell it letters of the street name by voice command?
5. Can you enter designation while the car is in motion?
6. Can you play a dvd in it?

So excited...

amgB
Old 06-24-2003, 08:42 PM
drb

Originally posted by etenn
Have you noticed anything different on the last of the 03's from the original one you had. Anything else change?

Ed
Yes, there is now a stalk on the steering column to adjust the steering wheel up/down, back and forth.
The tires are great...Conti Sport Contact 2. Dealer did not have Michelin in stock. The tires on the other car were noisy and bumpy. These are soft, quiet and corner very well. The steering feels much tighter than the other car. The audio seems richer. I pass along more impressions when I get time to drive it.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
whoa that was wierd, double posted, but 5 minz later
Old 06-24-2003, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by drb
Yes, there is now a stalk on the steering column to adjust the steering wheel up/down, back and forth.
The tires are great...Conti Sport Contact 2. Dealer did not have Michelin in stock. The tires on the other car were noisy and bumpy. These are soft, quiet and corner very well. The steering feels much tighter than the other car. The audio seems richer. I pass along more impressions when I get time to drive it.

wasnt there always a stalk for that, on my car, it has that, it wasnt on your last car?
Old 06-24-2003, 08:46 PM
drb

Originally posted by bmms8
wasnt there always a stalk for that, on my car, it has that, it wasnt on your last car?
True, my last car adjusted the steering wheel from a space next to the seat adjustment. I did not use it much once I had the ideal position.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:49 PM
drb

I recall mention of the birds eye map view in 3d. I cannot find that option in this model. Maybe I was dreaming.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by drb
I recall mention of the birds eye map view in 3d. I cannot find that option in this model. Maybe I was dreaming.
yea, i forgot who, but someone said that MB will no do that for this NAV i guess when they swithed companies, the new one didnt offer it, but i still like the gauges part the best, even if the 3d view did come, the color of the car wouldnt be right, and i am sure it would be boring to watch, it would most likely show your car on an empty street ;p
Old 06-24-2003, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally posted by drb
True, my last car adjusted the steering wheel from a space next to the seat adjustment. I did not use it much once I had the ideal position.
This is kind of confusing as my existing car as a stalk on the steering column to adjust the up, down and in and out of the steering wheel. Nothing by the seat adjustment.

Strange that our original cars would have been different as they were built about the same time.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
This is kind of confusing as my existing car as a stalk on the steering column to adjust the up, down and in and out of the steering wheel. Nothing by the seat adjustment.

Strange that our original cars would have been different as they were built about the same time.
yea, thats what i was thinking, i think he might of had an earlier MB, and maybe reffering to that, because i remember the CLK's had the wheel movement on the door
Old 06-24-2003, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
The people on the West Coast are going to keep drb up all night with questions. It is about 10 pm on the East Coast...but we still have a lot of daylight left to ask questions.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
The people on the West Coast are going to keep drb up all night with questions. It is about 10 pm on the East Coast...but we still have a lot of daylight left to ask questions.
lol, yea, he better not go to sleep tonight! :p
Old 06-24-2003, 10:02 PM

BMW 330CIC
congrats drb. tihis is the same unit that KevinR has in europe. Looks like it's close to what we are all expecting.

I assume dvd in the trunk, but the unit in the dash should play the demo dvd which came with the car. Is this correct?

do you have voice activattion with v60?
Old 06-24-2003, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
drb i just saw the pic of your nav.. man i was jealous, how come i dont have one in my car.... that's really tight bro. congrats on your nav and car
Old 06-24-2003, 11:55 PM

drb, thanks for going to the trouble of posting all the pictures, much appreciated.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
It is 9 pm on the Left Coast so I guess drb is in bed at midnight.

I thought he would stay up all night and tell us more and post pictures
Old 06-25-2003, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Originally posted by Double Eagle
Congratulations on getting the first new Nav in a 2003 and look forward to seeing your pictures and answers to other querys by board members.

I spoke with my dealer today, and he advised they haven't made any of the 2003 E-500's as yet and thought there may be some type of parts problem. However, I don't see why the parts for the E-500 would be any different than those used in the E-320.

Has anyone else heard of a possible delay in the builds of the '03 replacement E-500's for those of us that ordered the Nav/Comand system?
drb is posting about his replacement E-500 so they obviously are putting them thru the line. You dealer must have been mistaken. Check with him again and see what he says.

I would not mind if mine got delayed and they had to give me an '04 . My E-500 is supposed to be built this week so I guess I will know if there is any kind of delay shortly.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Wow....I just noticed that this thread has had over 60 replies in just about 6 hours. That is a bunch for the W211 forum.

Lot of pent-up interest in the Nav for those waiting for it. On the other hand....those that don't give a crap about it are probably hoping we will get tired of talking about it soon

We should probably just keep this thread open and post our experiences in it as they come about. Much like the "lights and fog lights" thread. No sense starting a new thread everytime someone gets his replacement.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:26 AM

2003 E500
Congrats dude... I still have about another month or so to wait for mine (sigh).

The NAV looks awesome!!!!
Old 06-25-2003, 01:08 AM

03 E55
Very Nice !!! I'm sure we all can't wait now Happy for you drb!
Old 06-25-2003, 01:27 AM

2013 S550
Originally posted by AMGB
Originally posted by drb
4. I will get that next. It is supposed to work with nav.
First, congratulations drb and thanks for being so quick to supply us with both pictures and preliminary details.

I am particularly interested in the voice activation and whether I need to see about ordering it now. My dealer told me last month that if the voice activation was related to the system for the phone, I would not have it as they had not yet perfected it for the phone system. Just last week I think I saw a post saying that it now works, dealers may place orders for it, and a part/reference number was provided. Since my replacement vehicle it not scheduled to be built until the first decade in July, I am thinking of contacting the dealer and attempting to order the voice activation for the phone (which I do not have) with the hope it works with the navigation system. I just don't want to sound like an idiot or be misunderstanding the information on the board.

Beyond that, I'd love satellite radio also. I listen to CDs 98% of the time because I can't stand commercials on radio (or TV). While your salesman indicated that it might be possible to add later, did he give a reason why you can't add it now?

Finally, did you request replacement tires? I would like Michelins also, even if I had to pay a differential. I just don't want to have to purchase them outright.

Thanks again for all the info.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:54 AM

one of seven
now, that's what I'm talkin' about!!!!!!
1)where is the dvd player/reader located
2)is that still a CD slot above the screen

thanks
Old 06-25-2003, 07:33 AM

LEXUS
Originally posted by ctouhey

While your salesman indicated that it might be possible to add later, did he give a reason why you can't add it now?

Finally, did you request replacement tires? I would like Michelins also, even if I had to pay a differential. I just don't want to have to purchase them outright.

Thanks again for all the info.
No reason given other than it was not yet available. Sirus will be offered. I subscribe to XM. I understand Sirus is inferior to XM, but I do not know why. I have an option to install a Pioneer XM in the ashtray space which I will look into.

I asked for Michelin instead of Conti. The original Conti was noisy and bumpy for the first 2k miles. The replacement Conti (I described this earlier) is very comfortable, quiet and seems to grip the road well...the two tires are like night and day. This tire is better than the original (even after break in) on day one. I'm much happier with the replacement than the original.

I am on another computer where I use Slipnby instead of DRB. I have not been able to log in with DRB for some reason.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Command II DVD Navigation for 03 Es has arrived