E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Compressor isn't requesting any freon.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
'12 528i, '05 E320, '05 Jag XJ8L, '04 CLK500, '03 S600, '92 Jeep Briarwood, '79 Rolls Royce
Compressor isn't requesting any freon.

I was recently in an accident and I had the condenser & radiator replaced as part of the repairs... I wasn't informed of my compressor being damaged at all.

I took my car to the mechanic today because it was turning into Hell on wheels. It's getting hot here in Southern California and Lola (my car) is black on black.

When I took her in my mechanic (different from the one that did my original repairs) said compressor isn't requesting any freon after looking at it for about an hour and a half & running the computer diagnostics. While he was in there he was able to fix my fan that was going crazy because a wire to the fan sensor was sliced in the accident, but that's beside the point.

He said I should bring the car in so he can examine it all day and see what's going on.... but I don't want to be without a car for so long.

Has anyone had this problem before where their E class wasn't having the compressor accept any freon injections??

Should I just pay the extra $$ and have it taken to the dealership to see if they can fix it? I don't want to have to replace my compressor

It's getting HOT, please help!

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
So confusing. Sounds like flux capacitor is leaking.

Is the compressor generating pressure.? What pressures? Hi/Lo side?

Expansion valve open? Failed closed? Control system functioning? You need a professional to check it out. Not a corner check your a/c for $19.95 Hopefully the MB dealer did the origional repairs and it should be warranty covered with all the new parts. If the ins co paid for the repairs and you used an insurance approved shop they will also stand behind the repairs. But don't bring a 3rd party into the mix because then they can refuse everything saying the other guy did it.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Excellent advice.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
If they didnt replace the receiver/dryer when replacing the condensor you probably have moisture in the system..
Old 02-15-2012, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Originally Posted by Zach8131
I was recently in an accident and I had the condenser & radiator replaced as part of the repairs... I wasn't informed of my compressor being damaged at all.

I took my car to the mechanic today because it was turning into Hell on wheels. It's getting hot here in Southern California and Lola (my car) is black on black.

When I took her in my mechanic (different from the one that did my original repairs) said compressor isn't requesting any freon after looking at it for about an hour and a half & running the computer diagnostics. While he was in there he was able to fix my fan that was going crazy because a wire to the fan sensor was sliced in the accident, but that's beside the point.

He said I should bring the car in so he can examine it all day and see what's going on.... but I don't want to be without a car for so long.

Has anyone had this problem before where their E class wasn't having the compressor accept any freon injections??

Should I just pay the extra $$ and have it taken to the dealership to see if they can fix it? I don't want to have to replace my compressor

It's getting HOT, please help!

Thanks!
Benz AC compressors work differently then most other cars in that they are ALWAYS running when AC is on. It spins up and down to match demand. There is no off and on like in older/American cars.

Now it's not "requesting" freon because it has been shut down by the car. So many reasons...its hard to pinpoint. Low freon and the a/c sensor shuts off the compressor to protect it from spinning up and out of control and blowing eventually. Could be water in system......bad ac sensor......bad expansion valve or faulty evap sensor or the dreaded compressor. It does happen and they do go south.

Dealers are rape but they deal with Benz ACs all day. I say take it in and pay the hundred beans for an hour labor with one of the guys checking it out. He should be able to pinpoint it pretty quick.

Then possibly take it to a another shop and have them do repairs. Hopefully just something minor. Sometimes you do luck out and they can top you off with R134 and you go on your way.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
...Sometimes you do luck out and they can top you off with R134 and you go on your way.
Wouldn't you say that if it needs to be "topped off" with 134a that there is a leak in the system or something else happened that caused it to blow its 134a out?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Wouldn't you say that if it needs to be "topped off" with 134a that there is a leak in the system or something else happened that caused it to blow its 134a out?
I haven't seen a mechanical compressor seal that doesn't leak a small amount over time, even new. 2 oz/yr is about normal. If the car is 5 yrs old leaking 2 oz/yr (very small amount) the system might not cool properly. Mine was 8 yrs old when I topped it off and now it is cooling.

Trending Topics

Old 02-18-2012, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by vettdvr
I haven't seen a mechanical compressor seal that doesn't leak a small amount over time, even new. 2 oz/yr is about normal. If the car is 5 yrs old leaking 2 oz/yr (very small amount) the system might not cool properly. Mine was 8 yrs old when I topped it off and now it is cooling.
Probably right. Mine is an 07 & it needed A/C service in Sept. Evac/recharge & replace orefice or whatever the MB equivalent part is. Had some debris clogging the orefice.