A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
A Few Questions

Hello again everyone, well I was at a car meet the other day and brought my freshly waxed E550 - it was well received but as one person put it "too stock" since I really haven't started down that road yet. So, I have a few questions about things I am wanting to do here soon:

1) Where can I get white side-marker plastic covers to replace the ugly orange ones that they mandate on cars here in the US? Anyone have a part number? And do I need to replace the bulb with an amber colored bulb, if so where can I get that as well?

2) Has anyone installed a lip spoiler? About how much do they run for and where can I get one (any good GENUINE parts suppliers)?

3) I'm thinking about getting new wheels as well. How wide can I run the tires (mind you it's a 4Matic and after looking into it staggered isn't worth it as it has to be within such a small percentage rolling diameter)? I was looking at some 9.5s and possibly running 275s or 285s, would those be too wide or would I have to roll the fenders, etc?

4) Lowering... I want to lower the car for sure but not super low, maybe slightly lower in the front to get a sort of aggressive stance. I know of the Kleemann lowering module and other expensive $2000 systems but can I do this with lowering links even with the AirMatic suspension? Will my ride height adjustment still work? Does this really adversely affect the ride/performance?

I know this is a lot but I have tons of questions and not enough time to search for them all - which I have tried but have come across some inconsistent answers. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CLS550, 2013 GLK350 4-Matic
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
1) Where can I get white side-marker plastic covers to replace the ugly orange ones that they mandate on cars here in the US? Anyone have a part number? And do I need to replace the bulb with an amber colored bulb, if so where can I get that as well?

I bought these on eBay. They came with a bulb that was silver colored but glowed orange. Went on easy and I've had them about a year with no issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-2007-20...110572&vxp=mtr

Best of luck on your mod's but be aware, it is a slippery slope. Starts with side markers and lip spoilers - then you find your self looking at superchargers.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails A Few Questions-side-marker.jpg  
Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 AM

2005 c55 AMG, 2006 Kleemann E50 K, 1997 Acura-CL Custom
Mods and more Mods

Hey whats wrong with a supercharger?

First off-- dont make it too ghetto. a front lip and side markers are great if you get the quality ones. Go with MB parts if you can. I have a new "standing star" and an 040 Black grille..both genuine MB and quality.

2d- Lowering..if you have airmatic you can get the car lowered thru the Star Diagnostic Computer at an MB auto tech. Otherwise I have had great results with the Eibach Pro Kit. I've lowered 3 vehicles with them..even my son's acura cl and it rides steady ..not bouncy.

3d- wheels-- you can fit 19" s on your car comfortably. I have AMG 19x9.5 in the rear `19x8.5 in the front and they clear the massive kleemann brakes with no issue.

Find genuine MB parts..the markers for sure.
Take your time (measure twice and cut once)
Attached Thumbnails A Few Questions-img_20120428_164826.jpg   A Few Questions-img_20120527_173148.jpg   A Few Questions-img_20120929_151446.jpg  
Old 10-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350
If you are worried about nailing it down perfectly for the 4Matic and aggressive fitment, we can do that.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:57 PM

2009 W211 E350 AMG Sport PKG
1) I dont think there are clear OEM side markers available. Check eBay, I picked mine up for $40 for the pair. I know some people go for the euro impact strips, but I haven't come across a pair of these yet. You can always take our your amber side markers, sand it down and paint match it for a relatively low price.

2) I know Suvneer sells a lip for your bumper. (looks like you don't have the amg sport package)

3) I dont think you can run 275's in the front..

4) I'm on CKS coilovers (fully adjustable [height/damper]) and I picked them up for under $2000. Best mod I've done to the car so far. But since you have the 550, you probably have airmatic so just get it lowered via STAR or links.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by Mike_W
I bought these on eBay. They came with a bulb that was silver colored but glowed orange. Went on easy and I've had them about a year with no issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-2007-20...110572&vxp=mtr

Best of luck on your mod's but be aware, it is a slippery slope. Starts with side markers and lip spoilers - then you find your self looking at superchargers.

Mike
Perfect. Thanks for the link Mike I'll definitely be installing those. And yeah I'm quite aware it's a slippery slope. The semi-famous car modder/photographer/God Ronnie Renaldi lives right near me (I'm sure he's annoyed beyond belief that I always mention his cars and how much I look up to him haha) and I've seen his new SL55 go from stock to hugely custom in such a short period of time. If only I had a lot more money or rather fewer things that take so much of it lol.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 10-26-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by kompression
Hey whats wrong with a supercharger?

First off-- dont make it too ghetto. a front lip and side markers are great if you get the quality ones. Go with MB parts if you can. I have a new "standing star" and an 040 Black grille..both genuine MB and quality.

2d- Lowering..if you have airmatic you can get the car lowered thru the Star Diagnostic Computer at an MB auto tech. Otherwise I have had great results with the Eibach Pro Kit. I've lowered 3 vehicles with them..even my son's acura cl and it rides steady ..not bouncy.

3d- wheels-- you can fit 19" s on your car comfortably. I have AMG 19x9.5 in the rear `19x8.5 in the front and they clear the massive kleemann brakes with no issue.

Find genuine MB parts..the markers for sure.
Take your time (measure twice and cut once)
Needs moar turbo that's why . Yeah I told myself any customization I start to do with this car will be strictly high quality parts and a refined and sporty look. I HATE vehicles that looked "riced" out for lack of a better and less offensive term, especially German vehicles. No reason.

Can I really do that with the STAR Computer??? That's EXCELLENT news! Is there a limit to how much I can lower it using that method and can I adjust the front/back individually to nail the perfect stance? Do you think it would look dumb to lower it to just slight wheel gap on the back and slightly lower in the front to have an almost tilted (but SLIGHT) stance?

I was thinking about doing staggered width tires that were within the 4Matic tolerance but I've heard they really tend to degrade ride quality especially with 4Matic. Do you know if 19.5's will clear on the front? Really I just want to fit the widest tire on all four wheels probably 19s. I think 275s on a 9.5 will work...

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 10-26-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by D2FORGED
If you are worried about nailing it down perfectly for the 4Matic and aggressive fitment, we can do that.
Browsed your site and I really like a lot of the photos on there. I might be in contact with D2. Do you know of any packages for 4Matic as far as maximum width? Thanks.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 10-26-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by 09W211
1) I dont think there are clear OEM side markers available. Check eBay, I picked mine up for $40 for the pair. I know some people go for the euro impact strips, but I haven't come across a pair of these yet. You can always take our your amber side markers, sand it down and paint match it for a relatively low price.

2) I know Suvneer sells a lip for your bumper. (looks like you don't have the amg sport package)

3) I dont think you can run 275's in the front..

4) I'm on CKS coilovers (fully adjustable [height/damper]) and I picked them up for under $2000. Best mod I've done to the car so far. But since you have the 550, you probably have airmatic so just get it lowered via STAR or links.
1) Didn't think so and yeah about $40-$50 seems to be the average and as long as I stay with the white/silver and black look I think it'll look nice.

2) Sorry I didn't see any Suvneer products for anything other than US vehicles... maybe I'm looking on the wrong place?

3) I really want to find out I'll have to check with MB because since I'm on 4Matic I have to really go with the widest I can get on the front for the rear as well. You might be right seems a little wide. I'm starting to find that 255s might be the widest.

4) Thanks for reiterating that, it is really an option I've never heard of before and nice to know I can do it that way, now I just need to find an Indie shop here in Denver or someone with a STAR Computer that can do that for me. I'm guessing the raise vehicle button and comfort/s1/s2 will still work?

As a side note, all of you guys are awesome thank you very much for all of your contributions. One last question I forgot to ask. In the interest of having a louder exhaust that doesn't take away from refinement too much what mods do you recommend? I don't want excessive droning in the cabin but just a heftier sound - secondary CAT delete? Resonator delete? Engine Delete? Square wheels?

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 10-26-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
1) Didn't think so and yeah about $40-$50 seems to be the average and as long as I stay with the white/silver and black look I think it'll look nice.

2) Sorry I didn't see any Suvneer products for anything other than US vehicles... maybe I'm looking on the wrong place?

3) I really want to find out I'll have to check with MB because since I'm on 4Matic I have to really go with the widest I can get on the front for the rear as well. You might be right seems a little wide. I'm starting to find that 255s might be the widest.

4) Thanks for reiterating that, it is really an option I've never heard of before and nice to know I can do it that way, now I just need to find an Indie shop here in Denver or someone with a STAR Computer that can do that for me. I'm guessing the raise vehicle button and comfort/s1/s2 will still work?

As a side note, all of you guys are awesome thank you very much for all of your contributions. One last question I forgot to ask. In the interest of having a louder exhaust that doesn't take away from refinement too much what mods do you recommend? I don't want excessive droning in the cabin but just a heftier sound - secondary CAT delete? Resonator delete? Engine Delete? Square wheels?
http://www.jl-motoring.com/v/vspfile...MBFS1105-1.jpg
This is the front lip I was talking about. Pictures a little small, but you should be able to find it easily online. Just google 2007-2009 W211 sport bumper lip or something along the lines of that and you should see some results. I know some members on here have the lip. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Is that the liip you want?

I have it in stock.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...0-shipped.html
Old 10-26-2012, 04:59 PM

there you go! i think if you took off those 2 chrome bars going through the fog shroud it would look pretty clean.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Thank you all! I'll definitely look into the front lip. Anyone know about a rear spoiler/lip as well to match that?

And funny thing happened last night. I took my car over to the crowded SouthGlenn by mistake and while parking clipped the wheel of an SUV that had its wheel turned outward. No damage to his wheel other than a scratch but other than a surface scuff on my car it broke the sidemarker lens. So now I have an excuse to pick the new ones up from eBay. Who would have thought? The only accident (actually a minor blip) I've been in damages the one part of my car I was planning to replace the next week. AND they have a 15% markdown on the lenses/bulbs right now.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 10-27-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Ronnie has a W211 as well, you should get in contact with him and see what extra stuff he has for sale maybe.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Michael,

I've been in contact with Ronnie as well but we are both quite busy so we always play tag it seems. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

R350
We got something that would look really good on your E. What do you think?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 PM

2004 E500 (W211)
Did you checkout jpbspeed.com? Purchased my roof spoiler from them and am awaiting delivery.

Also, are you looking to move your stock wheels and tires? I've always like the look of the 18s multi-spoke OEMs on the late model w211s.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
D2Forged that is incredibly sexy. However I ultimately went with EuroSport wheels as you can see in my newest thread which outlines my newest endeavors with my W211. Right now looking to do an E63 conversion - about the get the bumper but trying not to pay an arm and a leg for a paint job. Here is my thread, thanks: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...omization.html
Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
@NBDT I have not really decided what I am going to do with the OEM wheels yet. I will contact you if I look to move them, they are in decent condition but have a few issues so I might just use them as snow wheels with snow tires.