Thinking of trading in my Audi A6 for a E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55, Audi A6, VW New Beetle
Thinking of trading in my Audi A6 for a E500

hi, just bought a clk55 a month ago, fell in love with mercedes right away. i am thinking of trading in my Audi A6 for a E500. since i already have a clk55, i think E500 is good enough. i am really pissed with all the rattling inside the cabin of my A6. do you guys think this is a good idea? any comments is appreciated.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Thinking of trading in my Audi A6 for a E500

Originally posted by mswoo
hi, just bought a clk55 a month ago, fell in love with mercedes right away. i am thinking of trading in my Audi A6 for a E500. since i already have a clk55, i think E500 is good enough. i am really pissed with all the rattling inside the cabin of my A6. do you guys think this is a good idea? any comments is appreciated.
well, this is a MB board, so most of us are gong to think its a great idea congrats on your AMG. the new E500 is of course newer than the A6, and the 2004 i guess might have a 7 spd auto tranny. which will make it faster than it already is, and its already 0-60 in 5.7. there is new stuff on the e500, like the air suspension, SBC brakes, and much much more, and of course the elegant options. i thinks its a great idea if you would like to switch, but i just want to tell you that you might have problems with the e500. the 2004 will have less problems, but the new tranny will be so new it might have problems...also, on a 03 you will get a better deal...gl with your decision,you can pm or e-mail me personally if yo have any questions, gl
Old 07-25-2003, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Alright this is comin from a fellow audi member by the name of audiboi on socaleuro and audiboi2.7T on the audiworld forums. I currently have a 2000 audi a6 2.7T wit rims...or did. Well anyways I am thinkin about doing the same thing you are. Well it has been decided on the trade. I will be honest with you the audi has been awesome and a pleasure to drive. Had some nice rims on it and even got to be a guniea pig for sway bars from H-Sport ( Hotchkis performance euro division) Had some great experices with the car and got to mete soo many koo people. But I must admit I look foward to the E. actually got to sit in the E and must say it is ALOT better. haven't driven it yet but from the stories and numbers i've been seeyin i am a very happy person. Can't wait to get the car and slap some nice HRE's on em Just my 2 cents
Old 07-26-2003, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
mswoo... i think that is a very good idea change from audi to MB... i'm also an MB maniac. I love MB because they really build a perfect and nice car.. so changing it will not make you regret...
Old 07-26-2003, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Mswoo, changing your A6 to an E500 will be a good move. You won't regret it. Make sure you get the HK sound system and panorama roof.....load it up!
Old 07-27-2003, 01:40 AM

2006 Acura RL
I seriously considered an A6 before I got my E320. The A6 has many nice things. It handles well. The 2.7 bi-turbo and quattro all-wheel drive is very cool.

However, I find the A6 interior a little crude and the outside styling drab. Moreover, my girlfriend has a Passat and everytime I got into her car, I couldn't help thinking how the A6 is just a fancied up Passat.

Also the reliability on Audis is awful. Even worse than MB. I have a friend who has an 2002 A6 and he has had that thing in the shop 5 times for stupid ****.

The E500 has a hell of a lot more punch than the A6. I am glad I didn't get an A6. They're good cars, but the Benz is a lot classier.

Natrually, this is a MB board, so we're all going to think MB is better.

Andrew
Old 07-28-2003, 02:56 PM

2003 E500 Sport
I traded in my 2000 A6 2.7T last April for an E500. I am very happy with the change. When I bought the Audi, I thought it had the best interior in its class, the exterior styling was new, and the quattro was great in New England (where I lived at the time). The current A6 is basically unchanged since 2000. The E500 is all new. I prefer the look of the new MB in and out to the Audi. The performance of the 5.0L engine is much more satisfying, though I do miss the quattro when it rains.

Both cars get criticized for reliability problems, however I have not had a problem with either car of any merit. The MB is quieter inside, both in keeping out exterior noise and in having fewer rattles.

I will consider Audi again in the future as I had good experiences with Audi cars. But only if the next A6 is as improved over the current one as the E500 is improved over the 2002 version. That will make the comparison much more interesting.

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:15 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK55, Audi A6, VW New Beetle
guys, thank you very much for your coment. i am leaning towards a trade-in it too. i'll probably get it some time in the spring. maybe i'll start placing the order in oct/nov. which is a better color choice: pewter or tectite grey? pano roof is a must. but hk sound system, i dont know about that, i think i will get aftermarket system.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:39 PM

2003 E500
What color choice?

It's a matter of personal opinion, as you are aware.

On another recent post, I sing the praises of my brand new pewter/ash/wood steering wheel E500. I don't think the E looks its best in the darker colors - seems to shrink it to my eye. And we all know the issues related to keeping dark exterior color cars properly detailed. I also prefer the lighter color interiors, but they have their own set of problems.

In Chicago, I see mostly brilliant silver and the different blacks. I have only seen one other E with my combination and I like that I don't see my car 5 times a day. However, if you think you may choose the pewter, be sure to look at the car carefully in varying light conditions. It will look quite different on cloudy days which bring out the bronzy/brown tone.

Also, definitely consider the wood steering wheel. Expensive for a non-functional option but it really makes my car.

Last edited by rdtjr; 08-07-2003 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:07 PM

2003 E500 Sport
I got it down to the same two exterior colors. I prefered the pewter (and ultimately got it), particularly because I decided not to get the pano roof. If I were getting the pano, I would probably have gone with the tectite, because I don't care for the way the pano looks on a lighter car. On the tectite and black cars, it blends in from the outside, so you don't realize it is there. Another factor for me was the SoCal. sun. The tectite is pretty dark.

I highly recommend the HK sound system. It is the best stock system I have ever had, and the in-dash six disc changer is great. For the money, it is a great choice. Also, since the radio is so integrated with the other electronics in the car, I didn't want to mess with it.

Good luck. I don't think you will go wrong with either color choice.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:12 PM

2003 E500 Sport
I got it down to the same two exterior colors. I prefered the pewter (and ultimately got it), particularly because I decided not to get the pano roof. If I were getting the pano, I would probably have gone with the tectite, because I don't care for the way the pano looks on a lighter car. On the tectite and black cars, it blends in from the outside, so you don't realize it is there. Another factor for me was the SoCal. sun. The tectite is pretty dark.

I highly recommend the HK sound system. It is the best stock system I have ever had, and the in-dash six disc changer is great. For the money, it is a great choice. Also, since the radio is so integrated with the other electronics in the car, I didn't want to mess with it.

Good luck. I don't think you will go wrong with either color choice.