Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
4-Matic Big Brakes

Hey everyone,

So in a previous thread I asked about using larger rotors with my standard calipers and found out from all the information you provided me that this was a really bad idea that would end up being costly and ineffective... and well as of Friday my brake pad wear indicator came on & it's about time to replace most of the system anyway due to wear: rotors, calipers, pads, etc...

I am considering getting a big brake kit for my W211 but I don't want it to be Brembo expensive at $3000 for the front two, half of that for all four would be great but I don't know if its possible. StopTech was a name that came up a lot in my searches but I can't find ANYTHING for 4-Matic E550s almost every kit from StopTech or Brembo or other companies are for the RWD version, or not even compatible with the W211 at all!

-Why is this (how are they different in their setup E550 v E550 4-Matic)?
-More importantly, what's a good big brake kit for 4-Matics?
-If not then I might go with the EBC dimpled and slotted calipers, or maybe a StopTech kit. What's best?
-Can I do this without spending an arm and a leg or should I go with my initial plans of just changing the rotors and pads out?

Thanks.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 02-26-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
Your car has the biggest brake calipers of all non-AMG cars on the front – 330mm ok by itself, crappy thing are the calipers. Next size up is the AMG or one of the others you mentioned. You can find used AMG calipers from junkyard network like Car-part.com they have front set of E63 AMG calipers for 600$ but first you have to verify that they will fit, because RWD cars vs. 4-Matics probably have different front spindle. Rear should be same. Other thingis the wheel size, I do not know what you are running but you may have to buy new wheels and tires. And those AMG disks and pads are expensive.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I'm guessing there is a space issue which prevents the use of the RWD brakes on the front of 4matic cars. You have the halfshaft, different spindle, different suspension components, etc.

My question is this:

Why do you want this? i'm guessing its basically for looks? Really, even with the 4matic components, the cars brake just fine. If you want better braking performance, you can switch your pads to something more aggressive like Hawk HPS or similar. Be warned, this can result in some squealing.

Since you're not tracking this car, do you really need more powerful brakes (especially given that your stockers can easily lock up the tires)
Old 02-26-2013, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
I am currently running 18" wheels so I know I have barely enough room for AMG-sized big-brakes based on wheel size but I'm not sure how that would play into the 4-Matic setup.

Two reasons I want this, first is aesthetics of course. I have a more open-spoke design and I want to look of powerful brakes. Second of all I like to go on a lot of drives in the Colorado area that involve winding canyon and mountain roads, usually with a group of high-end cars at high speeds. Many of them have carbon ceramic brakes that are incredibly powerful, so even though I don't want to get to that level of performance/expense I want something that can effectively stop me very quickly in these conditions. My current brakes are fine but could be better as the OEMs reach their max performance very quickly.

I mean as isstay mentioned, if they are considered one of the largest sizes already with the next step up being an AMG brake kit, I might just keep the same specs when I go to replace my brakes and just sand/paint my calipers for aesthetics. Might be cheaper in the long run and have almost the same effect.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 02-26-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 PM

06 E320 CDI (GONE), 14 Jeep GC EcoDiesel, 01 Disco II (GONE), 09 BMW X3 3.0 Si Xdrive
Best thing to do before you proceed is to compare front spindles from both cars - E550 vs. E55. I did this before upgrading to E500 4-piston fixed calipers upfront.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Yeah I will have to do that I wonder if EPC has anything on it or where I can find diagrams. To Google it is.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 PM

EPC has diagrams and part#.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Awesome, thanks.