E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

The NAV Replacement Saga (Most interesting story yet)!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The NAV Replacement Saga (Most interesting story yet)!

Been incommunicado for a while...

OK--I have no idea why I go through what I go through, but I daresay my experience with my E500, my dealer and certainly with MBUSA has been quite unique.

So...I was called and notified early this week that my car was in. I was on travel, so I went in today to the Evil Dealership (TM) to pick up the new car.

They checked my mileage, and said I was above the limit. I have 16304 miles. At first they said the cost to cover the excess mileage was $400. I said, I ain't paying a dime--and they said OK they will eat the cost.

10 minutes later, the new car sales manager pops his head in and said can I speak to you in PRIVATE? I was like, wtf now? He takes me to see the Retail Manager who is responsible for coordinating the replacement and they both sit down and tell me that since I have had my car for nine months, the prorated mileage above the limit is close to 5000, thereby resulting in a charge of close to TWO GRAND! At this point I was ballistic--I said where is the official MB communication to the customer telling them that the mileage will be an issue? They said, well MB expects normal wear and tear and yours falls outside of that. To that I said MB determines this out of their *** and are charging me FORTY CENTS per mile? This is ludicrous. So yes, the rumors are 100% true. They are charging for mileage, but they claim it is MBUSA and not the dealer who is setting that fee. Nevertheless, because I was visibly furious, they let the charge go.

They also informed me, regrettably, that they neglected to order my phone with voice activation from the factory and that they will install it later. I made a big deal out of the fact that I STILL DON'T have voice activation. And of course they threw in NO freebies for my trouble. By the way, I went outside to my car to grab my registration and neither of my keys opened the door! The keyless entry was jammed or something, maybe because it was about 95 degrees outside today. I had to get someone from service to enter my car manually, start it with one of my keys, and that reset the system. Weird.

OK, so now I am a bit calmed down and I go to sign the paperwork. That takes about 45 minutes and I finally go back to my car and my salesman starts taking the CDs out of my changer so we can transfer my stuff. I happen to glance rearward where there were a couple of silver Es and a CLK500. I thought something was weird so I asked my salesperson which E was mine, and he pointed to the right one. I looked at it and I said:

"Dude, IT HAS NO SUNROOF!!!"

Guys, I kid you not, this E, had NO sunroof! I have the sports package with panorama roof, and this E did not even have a REGULAR sunroof, let alone the panaroma. My salesperson now pretends to go ballistic--i.e. 'This is bull**** man, I never seen a fsucking E-class without a sunroof' etc. Come to think of it, I haven't either. And it wasn't too pretty! Although the charcoal interior was.....different. I think I prefer the contrast of my ash interior with the sports package burl.

So now we are back to square one, I was beyond angry, I was just resigned. My salesman says, we will get you an '04, and that we have done it for one other person who had heated seats and the factory screwed up on those. So they will talk to the marketing manager on Monday and call me back with the options. I have no idea who was responsible for the screw-up.

They have an '03 E55 on the lot that someone backed out off. I told them that I will consider it if they got me into that and I did not owe MB Credit any money on my E500 loan. I think they will do the math and let me know, but I think an '04 E500 with a 7-speed tranny is a much better deal financially. I can always turn around and sell that and stick with my '04 E55 that's on order. Of course, I have been sour on MB in general for a while, but damn the E55 makes me drool.

What a day! The whole episode took three hours. Hours spent much better elsewhere than in a lame-o dealership that is undergoing renovations and so there isn't even a decent place to sit.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:48 PM

2003 E500
Man, that's rough luck man.

On a side note.. WHAT IS UP with the KEYS thing on NAV replacements? It seems like SEVERAL people had "key" issues when they went in to turn in their pre-NAV cars (did the cars NOT want to go?). Odd.....

Anyways, good luck with the E55 (drooool).

Peter
Old 08-16-2003, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
Dude i cannot belive that MBUSA gave you a car without a goddamn moonroof. See this is why i said in another thread that all cars 430 and above shoudl come standard with moonroofs..
Old 08-16-2003, 06:03 PM

2003 E500
I saw that happen one other time. When I was shopping for my E5 in the first place.. I came across a beautious black/charcoal E5 with all sorts of goodies... only.. no E2. It was a special order for someone.. and the salesman messed up and omited the E2 (it had E1, KG, phone, AVS, all sunshades, distronic, etc). The guy didn't take the car obviously. Sat in the showroom.. for a LONG time. I wonder if it's still there =)
Old 08-16-2003, 06:10 PM

2004 E500
Did the factory really screw up or the dealership? To me, it is unfathomable to think that MB with all of the detail checking, parts ordering, line planning, etc. would be making these mistakes all over the place.

But if they are, I pity anyone who has to wait for their dream car and then be surprised when they come pick it up
Old 08-16-2003, 08:27 PM

one of seven
wow, what a saga!! If you can get a printout of the dealers replacement Netstar order, that could shed some light on who screwed up. Regardless, in a strange way, you end up a winner - getting an '04!! I know you will have to wait a bit longer but IMO, it's worth it. And if you trade in or sell when your E55 arrives, you'll have more value in the '04.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
man, monk im really sorry. if they get you an 04, thats basically 1 year without NAV sorry about all of your troubles man hope they give you a great deal.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I had over 18,500 miles on my pre-nav and the excess mileage never even came up. Seems that the "rumor" started in Northern Virginia...and so far they are the only ones to try to screw somebody.

Keep us advised as to how this comes out. This forum should be mandatory reading for someone in Dealer relations at MBUSA.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
I'm of course still waiting for my 04 custom build, but I can feel your pain. If I wasn't careful, my order would have been screwed up. I originally just wanted heated seats, and they had AVS instead. It took two times to get it resolved, before I actually got the printout with the right information. This is why I am always fanatical about about checking the order sheets to see if they are right.

Sorry to hear about your problems. When it rains it pours.

On a side note, the 04's have already started production in some cases. My friend who ordered an SL at the same listed his as in production, and mine has a Aug 20 build date. I'm hoping to have it my hot little hands on around September 15-20.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:03 AM

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.
Yeah--I hope this will work out for the best. I am trying to stay positive about this.

Yeah--an '04 would be good. Let's see what happens. I am going to have even more mileage on my car by the time that '04 rolls around, and I am dreading THAT argument.

Ed's experience is a good one with the 18,000 miles and he is probably right about the Northern Virginia thing, although rayscar and I bought from two distinctly dealerships--they are both Evil (TM).

Will keep everyone posted on this.

p.s. I did see the NetStar printout and it appeared that this is the way it was built, i.e. that's the way it was ordered. The dealer claimed that even the window stickers says the car has a sunroof, but it doesn't for sure. I think my salesman was probably lying about that bit.

Last edited by monakh; 08-17-2003 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
OMG, i'm speechless. The excess mileage thing is total BS. They are just trying to screw you. If it were true there would have been a SPECIFIC number alloted. "normal" is way to vague. I keep saying, it's the dealer that makes the difference. I continue to be amazed at how some dealers treat their customers. We should start some kind of dealership database or thread. Unfortunately for some, it's already too late and you have already bought your car from a lousy dealer.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:50 PM

Hmmmm

Where is that Monday phone call from my dealer?

Typical. Looks like I will have to call them (as usual). Even after major f**k-ups they don't take the initiative.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:26 PM

2003 E500 & 2003 C230K
Exclamation

Just to let you know.....I ordered my 2003 E500 M-B WITHOUT a sunroof. After seven vehicles in a row with the proverbial requisite sunroof (including the last two, Lexus LS and Audi A6 4.2 which I always kept closed), and going to the dermatologist for my routine and annual check up (including the multi-point pre-cancerous skin spot blasting). I took the test recently regarding accumulated hours of sun exposure (yearly and life-to-date), and realized (much to my dermatologist's delight) that the number of hours of exposure that I was ( and had been) accumulating while driving exceeded all other forms of sunlight exposure (including golf since I wear a sunscreen when I play). As we are all living longer and longer due to major advancements in mitigating heart disease, stroke and inner body cancer, we are facing the compelling need to reduce the rapidly accelerating skin cancer threats as the next "limiter" to our most enjoyable lives. I have decided to begin managing my skin health with at least as much effort as the "big three".

This is just food for thought, but I would also suggest just how much you REALLY use your sunroof? You may be suprised if you compare it to how much you use all of your other options and accessories (except COMAND Nav).
Old 08-18-2003, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Re: Hmmmm

Originally posted by monakh
Where is that Monday phone call from my dealer?

Typical. Looks like I will have to call them (as usual). Even after major f**k-ups they don't take the initiative.
Did you hear from them today?
Old 08-19-2003, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 White on Stone E320
wow, what a horrible story. And they didn't even offer freebies? I hope there was at least some SERIOUS apologizing by the various managers, whether sincere or not.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:24 AM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by BenzBy2
Just to let you know.....I ordered my 2003 E500 M-B WITHOUT a sunroof. After seven vehicles in a row with the proverbial requisite sunroof (including the last two, Lexus LS and Audi A6 4.2 which I always kept closed), and going to the dermatologist for my routine and annual check up (including the multi-point pre-cancerous skin spot blasting). I took the test recently regarding accumulated hours of sun exposure (yearly and life-to-date), and realized (much to my dermatologist's delight) that the number of hours of exposure that I was ( and had been) accumulating while driving exceeded all other forms of sunlight exposure (including golf since I wear a sunscreen when I play). As we are all living longer and longer due to major advancements in mitigating heart disease, stroke and inner body cancer, we are facing the compelling need to reduce the rapidly accelerating skin cancer threats as the next "limiter" to our most enjoyable lives. I have decided to begin managing my skin health with at least as much effort as the "big three".

This is just food for thought, but I would also suggest just how much you REALLY use your sunroof? You may be suprised if you compare it to how much you use all of your other options and accessories (except COMAND Nav).
Sorry to hear that. I use my pano roof at least 3-4 times a week and love it. I will not order a car without a sun roof. I can always pull the shade when I want to avoid the sun but I don't think I'm getting much exposure from my roof since I don't trvel for work and i'm not in my car for extended lengths of time. With the hours I work I don't get much sun anyway. The pano roof sure makes the car special IMHO.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:02 AM

W211 & Q7
it is rare that mb cars without roofs in US but it is quite common in Singapore.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:41 AM

BenzBy--food for thought indeed. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

etenn--I left my salesperson a message, he hasn't called me back yet (typical).

Otto--Yes it may be common in Singapore to have E240s and E320s without sunroofs, but an E500? That is an insult for a car that is almost touching USD 70K here (I know cars are horribly expensive in Singapore, but we Americans have different expectations).

codex57--Nope, no freebies. There was no profuse apologising, there was literally bare-minimum 'Oh? Sorry for the trouble'--it was perfunctory lip-service at best, and clear as crystal to see through as that.

rayscar--I love my pano roof, as well. I always leave the shade open. I love sunlight.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:37 PM

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by monakh
Otto--Yes it may be common in Singapore to have E240s and E320s without sunroofs, but an E500? That is an insult for a car that is almost touching USD 70K here (I know cars are horribly expensive in Singapore, but we Americans have different expectations).
To me the discussion of whether the car should have a sunroof, or how much you use it, or the health concerns are all a moot point. If you want a sunroof, told them you want the sunroof and have paid for a sunroof.....you should not settle for anything less than a sunroof.....
Old 08-24-2003, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Thought I would revive this so monakh can give us an update. We lost all the later posts in the crash.

What are they telling you now about the miles and about replacing it with an '04. I don't see how they have any choice but to replace it. Unless they can dig up an '03 with Nav, equipped like your ordered, they will have to pop for the new car.
They have to replace your car just like they did for all of us.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:27 PM

Oh yeah..

I guess, they don't keep daily updates of the site--when it crashed, they lost a couple of days of data. You must have missed the update, Ed We had a half-dozen or more posts that were lost in the crash.

They placed the order for an '04 without running it by me first. In fact, I wanted to switch the interior back to Ash (from Charcoal) because charcoal with the Sport black burl was a bit too batman-ish for me. The salesman is claiming that they cannot change the order since it has been put in already. That isn't true, is it?

I posted the Netstar order copy which was put in and faxed to me. Wanted to make sure it was aligned with the '03 equipment since the codes and packages have changed a bit for '04. I think they got it all. However, they did mention that there are no split seats available for MY '04.

For my trouble, I am getting absolutely NOTHING. Nada. They feel an '04 is compensation enough. I mean at least compensate me for the seats, for god's sake. Presumably I won't be bothered about the miles--BUT I have nothing in writing, and MBUSA is asking me to take it up with the dealership. This is as discretionary as it gets...

I concluded by saying I HATE my Evil (TM) Dealership.

BTW, for those who want to know, my dealership in American Service Center's Evil offshoot in Alexandria, VA. The original store is in Arlington. I had a couple of PM's asking to confirm if it was ASC. Well, it most certainly is. Steer clear if you can.

Too bad there is no Beverly Hills MB equivalent here in the DC area.

Last edited by monakh; 08-24-2003 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:57 AM

Update..

Figured I would drop a line sharing my final experience with the dealership. The dealer put the order into Netstar without running it by me first. When I got back to them a couple of days later about changing the interior back to Ash (from Charcoal)--the guy who is responsible for the replacements told me that it just can't be done. He said he has gotten me one of the early cars in the first allocation of the '04s and he cannot change it because it would mean a delay inthe delivery of the replacement car. He said the dealership is not willing to take that risk as my miles are being clocked up at an alarming rate. So no flexibility--no freebies--no nothing!

Damn this dealership! They are evil, evil, evil! Stay away from ASC!

I am incredibly distressed by the way my dealership has serviced me throughout this ordeal and in general. Everyone, from the salesman to the General Manager, are a bunch of losers. When you go to the dealership--all you see is a bunch of guys hanging around outside. It is worse than going to a used car parking lot. I intend on sending a letter to MBUSA expressing my disappointment with them and their dealer and telling them why I chose to sell my car, but I doubt it will make much difference. I will send it anyway--to vent. C'est la vie.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:20 PM

'03 E320
I got my replacement E320 and ...

I got my replacement E320 and it wasn't pretty either. However I guess everything worked out pretty good so I'm not too mad, but boy do I feel for ya. My pre-nav Tectite/Stone came with the E1, E2, heated seat package (Which I loved the seats came winter time) and I got it early Sept. 02, so you can pretty much tell how heated I was when I heard about the Navi fiasco. Anyway I bit..hed and nagged for about a month and they finally ordered me a replacement. They told me that they ordered the same exact car but w/ Navi. I then told them I also wanted to add some options and change the color. They told me that this was going to go outside of what MBUSA was permitting, but I told them if I'm paying for the changes, then what should they care right? Well they said if it hasn't been placed in the computer yet, then yes they can change it. I added the Sprt Pkg., the pano, and the solar, and change the interior to charcoal. When the car finally arrived after what it felt like forever, I found out that I have no more heated seats and H/K sound. Now at first I was upset and demanded them to compensate somehow either with free Changer or phone kit. But they look at their netstar report and yes it was specified, so I think a lot of this is Stuttgart f-cking us over. Since they claim it wasn't there fault they weren't going to do a damn thing about it, not even ordering an '04. And then they too, tell me because I have 16363 miles that I should be glad they are not charging me for the excess. I simply told them that they had nothing in writing about this requirement and that can't even be used as leverage against me. We finally negotiated to just offset the cost of my options with my lost treasures and a free cd changer because of the hassle. In the end I still paid for some of it but I think the exchanges were worth it, all in all I'm happy with what I got now. But I'm sure there will be plenty of these stories to come. Perhaps we should just start another thread about people, their replacements, and dealer experiences.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:37 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems

But hey--welcome to the forum!
Old 09-09-2003, 10:16 PM

2007 E63, 2007 BMW 335i Coupe & 1991 Honda Accord
Monakh, Sorry about your dilemma. It just comes down to customer service and your dealership is definitely lacking in that area. Based on what I know, at some point during the order process, a dealer can modify a dealership ordered car. When we got ours, the dealership had placed an order for non-sport tectite gray with very few options. Since that was our color of choice, and the car hadn't entered the production stage, our sales person was able to change the order to accommodate the options we wanted. This move also sped up the delivery process.

Now, in my little mind, I believe in the name of good customer service, your dealership could reorder another car for you even if the one in the system is too late to modify. After all, if it's a '04 they will be able to sell it off the lot. If time is not of the essence, you are under no obligation to accept an ordered car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The NAV Replacement Saga (Most interesting story yet)!