E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Introducing my E500. Got Couple of Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 Sport
Introducing my E500. Got Couple of Questions

Hey, just picked up an 03 E500 sport beautiful black with white interior. Love the car. Back in 05 my Paps bought brand new beautiful black E55 and since then I have been in love with the E class.

Found this beauty, one owner older lady, 59,000 miles in great condition. With just couple of imperfections. Hence the questions

To begin with, here she is.

Now regarding the imperfections. This little part is broken. I have a feeling that this is a common problem. I see that some people super glued it. I want to do the same but first I want to buy a new one with the tabs still there. Anyone know where I can find this part.

The second more important issue is this malfunction. It comes on and off every once in a while. The car is still normal hight, so I don't thinks it's anything with the airmatic. It still goes up and down but randomly this malfunction will come on.

I found this article saying it's something with a relay. Anyone know anything about this, know where to get this relay? http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/6...ght-comes.html

This is my other girl, 06 CBR 1000RR

Anyone know of Benz, Euro car meets around Fort Myers - Sarasota Florida, let me know.

Last edited by TigerShark333; 04-25-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:14 PM

E500 Sport
I don't feel comfortable putting in my credit card number but calling the dealer is a good idea.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
The plastic cover part is as you say is apart of the airmatic comfort and sport switch which is apart of the lower control unit which sends a CAN message to the airmatic control unit.
If my memory is correct the switch is integrated into the lower control unit, and not able to purchase just the switch which is an expensive part to keep as a spare. Hopefully the dealer will give you more advice as to refixing the plastic cover
Old 04-25-2013, 07:06 PM

E500 Sport
I never said "plastic cover," the piece that I am holding is part of the trim on the clam center console. It's what you pull up on to open the center. That's what I am looking to replace. I'm pretty savvy with ebay and searching google. Haven't been able to find the replacement. I think I'll be calling MB dealer tomorrow unless someone here has a suggestion where to find it online.

The airmatic comfort and sports switch is working fine. The airmatic malfunction showing on the dash is an unrelated issue. According to the article it seems like it has something to do with a relay. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and fixed it by replacing the relay.

Last edited by TigerShark333; 04-25-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
The plastic part can be purchased from dealer. You will need your cars VIN when you order to make sure the wood color matches.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
The part number for the center console catch varies by color/wood code.

A2116803684 - burred walnut
A2116803784 - birdseye maple black
A2116804284 - carbon high-gloss trim

These part numbers get you both left and right catches.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:26 PM

E500 Sport
Thank you
Old 04-27-2013, 12:07 PM

2004 E500
Congrats on the purchase. I just picked up an 04 E500 in midnight blue a few months ago, fun car to drive and it looks great.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Hi TigerShark333 - Not to put a damper on your enthusiasm for your newly purchased toy, but I have an important recommendation to consider. The 2003 W211s, and some very early 2004's, have a systemic defect in the Valero radiator's line connectors with the transmission cooling line that also uses the radiator for cooling. I had this connector break on my 2003 E500 in 2007 at around 75,000 miles. One day I noticed a rough feeling, like going over small speed alert strips on pavement, when accelerating and immediately took the vehicle to my MB Dealer. The warranty covered the repair that required radiator replacement with the new upgraded radiator part, replacement of torque converter, and flush of transmission and cooling system. It was caught soon enough that the transmission was not harmed or required replacement. Since your vehicle is out of warranty, and you probably still have the original OEM radiator installed, you might want to consider having a MB Dealer replace the radiator with the new upgraded radiator that has a different connector system for the transmission cooling line. It's obviously much cheaper doing this preventative maintenance approach than taking the risk of killing your transmission and torque converter. I'd be pleased to send you the MB Technical Service Bulletin on this radiator issue if you'd like to send me your email address. Also, if you do a search on this forum under radiator and/transmission problems for the 2003 - 2004 W211 vehicles, you'll see many postings about the issue and solution, including mine. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:27 PM

E500 Sport
Hey, thanks for the information. PM with email address sent.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
I just trim adhesive use for installation of trim and weather stripping in cars to glue mine back on. Once glued with this material it stayed. After all it is used by auto makers to put trim on the outside of the car.

For the up arrow. You have an air bag leaking either front or rear.

If the car parks for a few days you will see one corner lower than the other. I suggest with engine running car level you take measurements around the fender at the center of the wheel record the measurements then after it sits go back and measure. You will probably find one lower than the other. THis condition will only get worse until you replace the part. The front struts can be bought from arnott for about $400+ then you have to install it. Or the dealer can do it for around $1800. Given the age of your car the rubber will crack as it gets older and cause this problem If you change one strut I would recommend you do both.

The other possibility could be rear air spring or the line to the accumulator tank on the right side of the trunk under the covers. If it is the rear airspring the cost will be about $4000 for the dealer to do the service. If you are willing to compromise arnott also has a replacement air spring that will probably cost you around $800.

My guess is it isn't electrical because the car does correct to level.

Warning.. The leak will get worse and this will make the compressor run longer and eventually fail the compressor. IF you come out and the suspension has collapsed totally dont' drive it have it put on a flat bed and taken for service.

I would also suggest if you can find fuel without ethanol it would be a better choice for the car.

Welcome to the Mercedes Family of "fine vehicles'