E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rear seats do not fold down on my '05 MB E500 Wagon (Video Included)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 MB 380SE
Exclamation Rear seats do not fold down on my '05 MB E500 Wagon (Video Included)

I've researched the forum and have not found the solution to my problem. On my 2005 E500 4Matic Wagon, the back part of the rear seats do not fold down. I've read the manual and tried to lift both the latches up and push the backrest down. It does not seem to want to fold down. When I lift the drivers side latch up the headrest drop down and that's it.

I've made a video of what I'm talking about. If someone could help that would be great.

If you know how to tear apart the 2nd row seats or how to get to the seat lock mechanism on the drivers side I would greatly appreciate it.

I know quite a few others have this problem and it's annoying.

Video:
Old 08-18-2013, 10:47 AM

2004 E500 Wagon
I Know this is not much help, but the lift in your mechanism is clearly disconnected from the pawl that grabs the metal loop behind the seatback. It is a fairly robust latch so you will not be able to force it. You may be able to prise the plastic frame around the lift and then get some kind of hook down there to release it, don't know. The pieces you showed that were orphaned under the seat bottom don't look like anything I recognize in my latch/release mechanism.
As you probably know, you need to fold the seat back on the passenger side first, then fold the driver side.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Best,
g
Old 08-18-2013, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 MB CLK320
Originally Posted by enochbell
I Know this is not much help, but the lift in your mechanism is clearly disconnected from the pawl that grabs the metal loop behind the seatback. It is a fairly robust latch so you will not be able to force it. You may be able to prise the plastic frame around the lift and then get some kind of hook down there to release it, don't know. The pieces you showed that were orphaned under the seat bottom don't look like anything I recognize in my latch/release mechanism.
As you probably know, you need to fold the seat back on the passenger side first, then fold the driver side.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Best,
g
Thank you for confirming what I suspected. I'd like to remove the latch/lift but I'm not sure how it's secured. I didn't see any screws holding it in. I don't want to ruin the leather that surrounds it either.

If anyone knows how to remove the top latch on these cars, please help. One of the main reasons we have a wagon is so we can carry large items.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:00 PM

E350 Wagon and CLK430
I Had this same issue on my 06 E350 Wagon.. Wish i could tell you a DIY fix. I bought the car used and the used car lot couldn't figure it out.. so I took it to the benz dealership near my house expecting it to cost me an arm and a leg to repair but the guys there said its a safety issue and repaired it for free. took them about an hour while I went to eat at In & Out. Hopefully your dealer is just as kind and helps you out...
Old 08-31-2013, 12:06 PM

w211
any luck on this?? I've got the same issue
Old 09-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
The broken pieces of plastic are part of the mounting "track" on the rear of the 2nd row seats that is used to mount the rear luggage cover. Doesn't help with the issue outlined in the video but thought I'd mention it.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:08 PM

1985 MB 380SE
Originally Posted by murman
The broken pieces of plastic are part of the mounting "track" on the rear of the 2nd row seats that is used to mount the rear luggage cover. Doesn't help with the issue outlined in the video but thought I'd mention it.
Is it possible for you to take a picture of the location? Thanks in advance.

-The problem has not been resolved yet.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Originally Posted by Benz Structure
Is it possible for you to take a picture of the location? Thanks in advance.

-The problem has not been resolved yet.
Here's close-up of one of the cargo cover storage unit's mounting brackets, and another picture showing the location of the brackets with the rear seats folded down (sorry, that was not meant to rub it in) and the retracted cargo cover "slidden" off the mounting brackets, to expose the brackets. As far as I know, the cargo cover storage unit can only be removed if the back seats are folded down.
Attached Thumbnails Rear seats do not fold down on my '05 MB E500 Wagon (Video Included)-image.jpg   Rear seats do not fold down on my '05 MB E500 Wagon (Video Included)-photo-1.jpg  
Old 12-17-2013, 11:24 PM

w211
any help with the seat fold down issue? I'm still stuck!
Old 12-20-2013, 11:09 PM

2002 MB CLK320
Originally Posted by MarrakeshRed
any help with the seat fold down issue? I'm still stuck!
I haven't fixed this problem yet. I've contacted MB about the seat lock mechanisms and they've told me that they cost $300 each. No way I'm purchasing them for that price. Especially since I can't get to the locks. So, I plan on purchasing a backrest from a salvage yard. I've located one that has a car with the exact color backrest I need.

After purchasing the backrest, I plan on breaking into the lock mechanism on my current backrest from the top. I'm going to try my best to remove the plastic handles and find a way to release the backrests that way. Once I do that I believe I can remove them.

A guy on one of the UK Mercedes Benz forums had the same problem and told me that's the route he took. He broke the plastic handle and released the backrest by putting a long screwdriver down the lock mechanism. After that he simply switched out the backrests.

I'll respond to this thread again when I finally fix the issue.

Last edited by structure; 12-21-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:35 PM

2004 E 500
Time to revisit this one- I have a nice waterfall of issues to overcome to get to what I actually want done. Has anyone figured out how to remove the rear headrests in a 2004 wagon? I can't seem to find anything on wagons, specifically. Alternately, is there a way to reach in to unlock the rear seats so they fold down? The latches on top are useless, and obviously something is broken inside. If I can get the headrest off, I can peel off the cover and have a look, and then get the seats down. If someone knows a trick about the latches, I have one cover sort of half-off and can wriggle my hand over to the latch side of the seat, but I can't find anything that moves.

I've been searching most of the afternoon, and coming up empty on this for wagons. I hope someone can help.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rear seat cushion.pdf (124.5 KB, 306 views)
right rear seat upholstery.pdf (137.3 KB, 207 views)
headrest guides.pdf (153.5 KB, 139 views)
left rear seat upholstery.pdf (222.3 KB, 207 views)
armrest.pdf (86.2 KB, 137 views)
backrest.pdf (364.6 KB, 182 views)
install rear seat cushion.pdf (535.6 KB, 200 views)
The following users liked this post:
DrBEC15 (06-07-2022)
Old 04-21-2018, 03:26 PM

2004 E 500
Thank you, Konigstiger.

I thought it should be as simple as "push the button and pull" but these feel like they encounter a hard stop. I push in the button and yank upward and Bump- they don't budge from the fully extended position.

I'll risk a bit more force this time.

The PO had the double rolls (cargo, rear screen) attached to the rear seats, and of course nothing happens when I pull the passenger split to pull lit down. Driver's side give me the jingle from the dash, but of course the passenger side needs to come down first. I guess I'll work off the upholstery and see if I can hack the locking mechanism to release the seat back.

All this just to get to the shocks, which I plan on replacing while I drop the subframe to replace the airmatic springs and frame bushings.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:45 PM

2004 E 500
well, had to resort to the teeter totter method, where I put a bucket in the back of the wagon, slid a 2x4 through the headrest, and pushed. It finally came free. Really stuck, that one. Managed to get the seat un-upholstered sufficiently to get to the latch and get the seat down, and get at the tops of the shocks. What an ordeal.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:34 AM

2004 E500