E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Lowering airmatic suspension?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering airmatic suspension?

Has anyone lowered their car using the washer method and moving the rear sensor? If so could you please tell how the car rides and if it just as good as lowering it by taking it to the dealer and resetting the computer. I don't know if my dealer would do that.
please help. want to lower car 1 inch.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Re: Lowering airmatic suspension?

Originally posted by 2003mb
Has anyone lowered their car using the washer method and moving the rear sensor? If so could you please tell how the car rides and if it just as good as lowering it by taking it to the dealer and resetting the computer. I don't know if my dealer would do that.
STFF A lot has been posted with pics about lowering these cars for under $50.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:11 AM

do you think its safe

do you think it is safe? and would it void warranty of shocks go bad for some reason?
Old 09-16-2003, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Re: do you think its safe

do you think it is safe? and would it void warranty of shocks go bad for some reason?
I've seen it done dozens of times without problems but that doesn't mean much. Problem with shocks? Probably not since the ride heights are lower in EU with the same shocks.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:28 AM
Almost a Member!

2003mb- I had mine done by the dealership. They lowered the car via the computer and finished it by moving the rear sensor. Since then I have had zero side effects. I was worried about the ride, however, it feels the same as when I took it in. I did see an improvement in handling though.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Originally posted by ealpha
2003mb- I had mine done by the dealership. They lowered the car via the computer and finished it by moving the rear sensor. Since then I have had zero side effects. I was worried about the ride, however, it feels the same as when I took it in. I did see an improvement in handling though.

Hope that helps.
did they charge you, if so, how much?
Old 11-13-2003, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
yeah my car is lower the same thing as ealpha said!! i'm still worried if using the washer method!!!
Old 11-14-2003, 10:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
'05 E55
Re: Lowering airmatic suspension?

rides perfectly, no problems at all since I did it a few months ago...here is the thread with all the info on how to do it. best part is that if you don't like it (which I can't imagine), you can put back to stock in less than 30 minutes...have fun
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=43822
Old 05-26-2004, 01:50 AM

W211 Sport AMG Package
Just curious, when you guys said the dealer lower the car using the computer method.. how low can I get? can I get super low.. :P ? I'm thinking putting 20" in my W211.. can any1 help? with tire sizes sothat I won't get any rubbing...

thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Elite
Just curious, when you guys said the dealer lower the car using the computer method.. how low can I get? can I get super low.. :P ? I'm thinking putting 20" in my W211.. can any1 help? with tire sizes sothat I won't get any rubbing...

thanks
Dealer probably wont do it. if they could, very limited from what I understand
Old 05-26-2004, 12:48 PM

W211 Sport AMG Package
Well, I've seen pics of your black E class with LDR 20". that setups is pretty low to me.. could you tell me did u use the computer method thing or springs/shocks replacement such as coilover. etc...

thanks man..
Old 05-28-2004, 04:03 AM

E500
Hi Brav,

Have you lower your E class? what way did you do it? I ask the tech in the back and the ride hight can decrease via computer, but need to be a "flat bed" as use for alignment machine. The front can be low down, but the rear has to done by alter the sensor. The factory setting is 1.6 degree.

Under the screen I see total of 3 numbers.
1. the front airmatic height

2 and 3 are for rear.

I am thinking to do it, but the tech is using my E500 as lab, so I still haven't do it yet....
Old 05-28-2004, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by rusnakmb
Hi Brav,

Have you lower your E class? what way did you do it? I ask the tech in the back and the ride hight can decrease via computer, but need to be a "flat bed" as use for alignment machine. The front can be low down, but the rear has to done by alter the sensor. The factory setting is 1.6 degree.

Under the screen I see total of 3 numbers.
1. the front airmatic height

2 and 3 are for rear.

I am thinking to do it, but the tech is using my E500 as lab, so I still haven't do it yet....
My salesman was trying to get his service tech to do it, but he backed out after I took delivery of the car.. so I don't have any info for you. I dont see why adjusting it in the computer would be much different from tricking the sensors. Dont think the suspension is going to adjust its characteristics bases on lower height. You work at Rusnak, cant you find out??
Old 05-28-2004, 01:18 PM

E500
Hi Brav,

The front is easy, just enter the new value and save it. The back 2 sensors is more complicated. You can either alther the sensors height by what the others say here or alter the sensor's angle in computer, which i think it is the best way. But the car need to be at flat bed as alignment flatbed to get perfect flat. The original setting is 1.6degree. which we need to change the number on both side to reach the proper heights that you " desire"

The also the voltage setting, which I believe is the airmatic firmness. I am trying to put a E55 on computer to see the different voltage setting differ as E 500. So I guess to tuning the E 500 to E55 firmness is possible since both using the same airmatic, but I am not to sure on that. If you are willing to use you car as "lab mice", let me know. I can call the tech and we can spend few hours in Saturday afternoon to find out

You will be resposible for any damages...
Old 05-28-2004, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi Brav,

The front is easy, just enter the new value and save it. The back 2 sensors is more complicated. You can either alther the sensors height by what the others say here or alter the sensor's angle in computer, which i think it is the best way. But the car need to be at flat bed as alignment flatbed to get perfect flat. The original setting is 1.6degree. which we need to change the number on both side to reach the proper heights that you " desire"

The also the voltage setting, which I believe is the airmatic firmness. I am trying to put a E55 on computer to see the different voltage setting differ as E 500. So I guess to tuning the E 500 to E55 firmness is possible since both using the same airmatic, but I am not to sure on that. If you are willing to use you car as "lab mice", let me know. I can call the tech and we can spend few hours in Saturday afternoon to find out

You will be resposible for any damages...
I'm down to be the test rat. I do think that E55 has the fully active suspension, whereas E500 has semi-active, no? Maybe not. Whats wrong, dont want to test your car??
Old 05-28-2004, 04:53 PM

E500
Hi brav,

The semi airmatic on all W211 are the same. E55 and E 500 are identical. i am not interested in lab mice, but I want to do it. Just becasue the old tech i used to work with left the job before complete my car and the new guy did not know how do di it yet
Old 05-28-2004, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi brav,

The semi airmatic on all W211 are the same. E55 and E 500 are identical. i am not interested in lab mice, but I want to do it. Just becasue the old tech i used to work with left the job before complete my car and the new guy did not know how do di it yet
Well, lets do this then. When can we do it? I need some service on my car anyway - have him fix this clunk..

Where is the dealership, Pasadena?
Old 05-29-2004, 12:25 PM

E500
Hi,

We are at Arcadia now.

55 W Huntiongton Dr
Arcadia, CA 91007

you can call main line to service center. Ask for Augie as advisor. He is my partner. But we have to arrange a good time for the tech the doing while he is servicing your vehicle.