Battery drain 2006 wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006e350 4matic wagon
Angry Battery drain 2006 wagon

Hello Gents:

My 2006 E350 wagon seems to have intermittent battery drain after it is parked.

I don't drive it that often two or three times a week. Some days when I first start it, I get a message stating convenience features unavailable due to low battery. I drive for about a block and features come on.

I recently was away for eight days and was worried that battery might be dead. It started right up with no messages. I drove it that day, parked it,
and the next morning the low battery message was on .

Anyone out there have similar problem?

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks for any input.

Cheers
Old 05-10-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211
You may have to check the battery and the alternator. In my case, the lights that were on were pulsing at times so I replaced the regulator on the alternator. I checked the battery but it was borderline, so I kept but a few days later it died. I replaced it with a DieHard AGM battery from Sears (purchased from the web, with in-store pickup- cheaper than buying from the store). Now, everything is fine, no more "convenience function unavailable" messages.

You can check the voltage by putting ignition in Position 1,make sure the IC displays the Speed, and press the reset button on the left of the IC three times. The voltage should appear.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:56 PM

2006e350 4matic wagon
2.7 Tallroader (battery drain)

Hey thanks very much for your reply. At least I have enough info now thanks to you, to narrow down the problem.

Cheers
Old 05-10-2014, 02:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
84 300d 2009 e320 bluetec
Originally Posted by americanyankee
Hello Gents:

My 2006 E350 wagon seems to have intermittent battery drain after it is parked.

I don't drive it that often two or three times a week. Some days when I first start it, I get a message stating convenience features unavailable due to low battery. I drive for about a block and features come on.

I recently was away for eight days and was worried that battery might be dead. It started right up with no messages. I drove it that day, parked it,
and the next morning the low battery message was on .

Anyone out there have similar problem?

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks for any input.

Cheers
Cheapest fix are case by leaving something on:
On an older MBZ wagon someone would leave the rear tailgate door light on. The light is not very noticable in daylight nor night time. Your could check the drain with an amp meter. I need to preload the computer circuits before the amp meter will give a good reading.

( - of battery) to (AMP meter shorted) to (- of ground) Let the electronics stability.

remove the short from the AMP meter. Have meter on high amp setting at first. Then switch to lower ranges. Reads a pulsating value of about 5mA to 40mA. Without the shorting, my meter just gets too confused to give a reading due to the high inital current and all the pulses.

If you meter will record the min. and max. reading, let if find the high reading. Then is elimination by looking for light that are on, then pulling fuses.

Check your charging system using a volt meter. Some cheaper volt meters can be almost 1 V off at 12V, so unless you have an accurate volt meter go by the difference in readings. Measure battery voltages. At rest. Turn on headllights and remeasure, Turn off headlights and remeasure. Difference between last two value about <0.5V Check battery if more than >0.5V on a fully charged battery. Start engine. Voltage should be about 14.3 V. Turn on headlight, HVAC fan on high, and see if voltage can be maintained at 1500 rpm. If not check charging system with the engine off, cable connections, belt, etc.

There might be an internal short in the battery that my come and go with a lose grid/plate. Batteries only last about 3 years with hot summers.

Driving 3 X a week for 15 minutes each time is usually good enough to keep a battery charged. Lots of people do it every other week.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:47 AM

2003 E500 sport
Check your bcm battery control module I had the same problem with mine 2003 e500 and it fixed it because my battery would drain over night or even driving just to the corner store .i am no mechanic just from my experience . Maybe that helps good luck.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:17 PM

2006e350 4matic wagon
Thumbs up

You the man. You were absolutely right. I I checked my rear interior lights and found one on. Three days now and no battery drain .
Thanks for your help!!!!!

cheers
Originally Posted by dave2001auto
Cheapest fix are case by leaving something on:
On an older MBZ wagon someone would leave the rear tailgate door light on. The light is not very noticable in daylight nor night time. Your could check the drain with an amp meter. I need to preload the computer circuits before the amp meter will give a good reading.

( - of battery) to (AMP meter shorted) to (- of ground) Let the electronics stability.

remove the short from the AMP meter. Have meter on high amp setting at first. Then switch to lower ranges. Reads a pulsating value of about 5mA to 40mA. Without the shorting, my meter just gets too confused to give a reading due to the high inital current and all the pulses.

If you meter will record the min. and max. reading, let if find the high reading. Then is elimination by looking for light that are on, then pulling fuses.

Check your charging system using a volt meter. Some cheaper volt meters can be almost 1 V off at 12V, so unless you have an accurate volt meter go by the difference in readings. Measure battery voltages. At rest. Turn on headllights and remeasure, Turn off headlights and remeasure. Difference between last two value about <0.5V Check battery if more than >0.5V on a fully charged battery. Start engine. Voltage should be about 14.3 V. Turn on headlight, HVAC fan on high, and see if voltage can be maintained at 1500 rpm. If not check charging system with the engine off, cable connections, belt, etc.

There might be an internal short in the battery that my come and go with a lose grid/plate. Batteries only last about 3 years with hot summers.

Driving 3 X a week for 15 minutes each time is usually good enough to keep a battery charged. Lots of people do it every other week.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
84 300d 2009 e320 bluetec
You the man. You were absolutely right. I I checked my rear interior lights and found one on. Three days now and no battery drain .
Thanks for your help!!!!!

cheers
americanyankee,
Glad you found it was the cheapest problem to fix. 0 cents. It can also be accidential turned on from the front of the car too.

For me, the rear interior light was more trouble than what it worth. I disconnected it and had a LED flashlight in the car. Much brighter and no dead car battery. It can also be accidential turned on from the front of the car too.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:39 PM

2006e350 4matic wagon
Thumbs up 0 cent fix

Originally Posted by dave2001auto
americanyankee,
Glad you found it was the cheapest problem to fix. 0 cents. It can also be accidential turned on from the front of the car too.

For me, the rear interior light was more trouble than what it worth. I disconnected it and had a LED flashlight in the car. Much brighter and no dead car battery. It can also be accidential turned on from the front of the car too.
Thanks again Dave for your solution: I think I'll let the rear light live unless it happens again, then for sure it's LED time.

Cheers
Old 05-15-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
You were absolutely right. I I checked my rear interior lights and found one on.
Shouldn't the CAN BUS shut off all interior lights after one minute? I notice that if I leave my trunk open the light will go out after a couple of minutes.
Mike T.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:35 AM

2006e350 4matic wagon
Question CAN BUS

Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Shouldn't the CAN BUS shut off all interior lights after one minute? I notice that if I leave my trunk open the light will go out after a couple of minutes.
Mike T.

Not sure what you mean about CAN BUS however, Whatever button I pushed, seemed to have worked because I no longer have low battery warning.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:35 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Not sure what you mean about CAN BUS however, Whatever button I pushed, seemed to have worked because I no longer have low battery warning.
The cars computer (CAN BUS) should shut down all electronics after approximately one minute. Even if you leave a door open, the interior lights will go out in one minute, at least on my cdi they do.
Mike T.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:02 PM

2006e350 4matic wagon
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mtrevelino
The cars computer (CAN BUS) should shut down all electronics after approximately one minute. Even if you leave a door open, the interior lights will go out in one minute, at least on my cdi they do.
Mike T.

I see what your saying Mike. It makes sense.
What doesn't make sense is I pushed my light switches on and off including my phone connect ,and today is the fourth day I drove my Benz in a row with no low battery warning. Next time I'm in for service, I will talk to tech about it. I'm a little mystified about it ,but happy at the same time because battery drain seems to be gone. Many thanks for your thoughts

Cheers