E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

NEED HELP>w211 E550 secondary cats delete+Xpipe+stock mufflers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 e550
NEED HELP>w211 E550 secondary cats delete+Xpipe+stock mufflers

Please,Anyone.....I need video before I go for it...i know somebody here did this on this car.I want to hear video of a E550 with NO secondary cats+x pipe+stock mufflers....so far I've only done the resonartor delete and want a little louder sound but don't want to delete the mufflers or my car sound like a ratrod.I'm planning on deleting secondary cats and leaving the mufflers so i need to hear a video or a sound clip on that before i do it.I know it's been done here so if you are one of those ppl or know where i can find a video of it please post here.I've been searching all over youtube and this forum including benzworld but can't find anything.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
EDIT: I just realize you've seen my thread and replied to it a while ago, but my response is still the same :

Do a muffler delete and j-pipe, you don't loose a lot of low end torque since it is so far back in the exhaust system, and before you ask there is a video attached. Generally secondary cat delete alone sounds raspy, a resonator delete alone deepens the tone to be more muscle-car like but isn't much louder, and a muffler delete alone will make it a lot louder at WOT and make it a bit deeper but maintain the German V8 sounds. Very AMG-Esque as Fila put it:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...althrough.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post5484463

To me, the only Mercedes I've heard a secondary cat delete and x-pipe resonator delete sound good on head longtube headers and a host of other engine/exhaust mods. My car sounds better in real life than it does in the video for a few reasons, one it was cold that day and it's raspy when RPMs drop, and I had a problem with a coil that was causing that ticking. I've received a lot of compliments on my exhaust. You also get popping/crackle when you let go at high RPM or blip the throttle on downshift.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 05-19-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:55 AM

2008 e550
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
EDIT: I just realize you've seen my thread and replied to it a while ago, but my response is still the same :

Do a muffler delete and j-pipe, you don't loose a lot of low end torque since it is so far back in the exhaust system, and before you ask there is a video attached. Generally secondary cat delete alone sounds raspy, a resonator delete alone deepens the tone to be more muscle-car like but isn't much louder, and a muffler delete alone will make it a lot louder at WOT and make it a bit deeper but maintain the German V8 sounds. Very AMG-Esque as Fila put it:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...althrough.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post5484463

To me, the only Mercedes I've heard a secondary cat delete and x-pipe resonator delete sound good on head longtube headers and a host of other engine/exhaust mods. My car sounds better in real life than it does in the video for a few reasons, one it was cold that day and it's raspy when RPMs drop, and I had a problem with a coil that was causing that ticking. I've received a lot of compliments on my exhaust. You also get popping/crackle when you let go at high RPM or blip the throttle on downshift.

yeah i've been over your thread and heard that video...but I don't want to delete the mifflers it sounds waaay too loud.gf will be mad LOL.She used to hate my GT500 with straight pipes and straight through mufflers...like i said so far I removed mu resonator and installed a magnaflow x-pipe...sounds deeper and nicer but not that noticeble...like it has to be really quiet street or in a garage or tunnel to enjoy and hear the sound clearly.So i'm thinking that if I remove the secondary cats o hope it gets a little louder and not too anoying.BTW that dude's car from sweeden in the one link sounds terible or maybe it's just the quality of the video....so i'm hoping someone that have done exactly what I'm trying to do,stumbles across that thread and post a video LOL.I can always have the exhaust shop put the cats back in case i don't like it,but i'm trying to save myself all that double labor money but if i can't get a decent answer i guess i'll have to bite the bullet and just pay the guy LOL
Old 05-19-2014, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
My car is only loud at wide open throttle or about 4k RPM, it isn't loud at all at cruising or idle just a little deeper. I think secondary cat delete will just sound raspy. If you want to go deeper but not too loud, to resonator delete with an x-pipe in place.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:29 AM

2008 e550
My car is only loud at wide open throttle or about 4k RPM, it isn't loud at all at cruising or idle just a little deeper. I think secondary cat delete will just sound raspy. If you want to go deeper but not too loud, to resonator delete with an x-pipe in place.
what are u saying,if I want to remove secondary cats i should install back the resonator?
Old 05-19-2014, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
No I'm saying I would not remove the secondary cats AND the resonator. I would do either muffler delete with j-pipe OR a resonator delete only with x-pipe where the resonator used to be.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:46 PM

2008 e550
No I'm saying I would not remove the secondary cats AND the resonator. I would do either muffler delete with j-pipe OR a resonator delete only with x-pipe where the resonator used to be.
I already have the resonator removed and X-pipe but installed....but it's not what I want...
Old 05-20-2014, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Ahh okay I didn't read your first post very carefully, I'm sorry. Yeah you're two options are really secondary cat delete (which I would straight pipe, not x-pipe) and muffler delete.... hmm I've heard a resonator delete with a muffler delete and it sounded good. You'd probably be one of the first to do a secondary cat delete, resonator x-pipe delete, and stock mufflers so I'm not sure I can really predict what that sounds like =\
Old 05-20-2014, 02:53 AM

2008 e550
Ahh okay I didn't read your first post very carefully, I'm sorry. Yeah you're two options are really secondary cat delete (which I would straight pipe, not x-pipe) and muffler delete.... hmm I've heard a resonator delete with a muffler delete and it sounded good. You'd probably be one of the first to do a secondary cat delete, resonator x-pipe delete, and stock mufflers so I'm not sure I can really predict what that sounds like =\
well....i'll have the guy cut far enouh to be able to reuse them after that i guess lol
Old 05-20-2014, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Yeah you can always re-install them
Old 05-21-2014, 03:48 AM

e55
Ive had the resonator removed and made a tiny difference than stock. Went back about a couple months later and removed secondary cats,put a 3" x-pipe and 3" to mufflers. I wish I did waist money with the secondary cause. It probably did increase tiny bit but, I should know since I drive it. But most people couldnt even tell a difference.