Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W211)
WARNING: SBC Control Unit - Mercedes Benz Warranty Run Around >

WARNING: SBC Control Unit - Mercedes Benz Warranty Run Around

Notices
E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

WARNING: SBC Control Unit - Mercedes Benz Warranty Run Around

 
Old 06-17-2014, 11:24 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320
WARNING: SBC Control Unit - Mercedes Benz Warranty Run Around

WARNING: SBC Control Unit - Mercedes Benz Warranty Run Around

Chain of Events
Monday 5/19/2014 - Brake Service Brake Visit workshop Light came on
Tuesday 5/20/2014 - Left out of town at 6:00 am for 10 days
Thursday 5/29/2014 - 10 Year SBC Control Unit Warranty Expiration
Friday 5/30/2014 – Flew back in town at 7:00 pm
Wednesday 6/4/2014 - Called to schedule Appointment with Mercedes Benz San Antonio
Friday 6/6/2014 - Out of town
Sunday 6/8/2014 - Came back in town
Wednesday 6/11/2014 – Dropped Car off for 6/12/2014 Service Appointment
Thursday 6/12/3014 - First appointment available when I called in on 6/4/2014
Friday 6/13/2014 - Service diagnosed car needing an SBC control Unit replacement (Code C249F)
Friday 6/13/2014 - Initiated Claim with Mercedes Benz USA
Monday 6/16/2014 - Mercedes denied responsibility for the replacement of the SBC control unit under warranty. And also denied me the ability to speak with the case managers supervisor.

Details
My service brake light came on prior to the 10 year warranty on the part expiring. I did not take the vehicle in as I was out of town immediately after the malfunction occurred. I have proof of my travels. When I came back in town I called to schedule an appointment on 6/4/2014 and asked for the next available appointment. The next available appointment was 6/12/2014. When I spoke to the service department they told me my warranty had expired by about one month. Not until I requested the actual date to be provided to me via email was I given the real date. It was nowhere near a month past due.
Service agent and service manager at Mercedes Benz of San Antonio were unwilling to initiate a claim with Mercedes Benz USA even though another service agent at this dealership had told me they would be glad to initiate the claim on my behalf. I was left to submit a claim with Mercedes Benz USA on my own.
I submitted a claim with Mercedes Benz on 6/13/2014. The Mercedes Benz USA Case Manager was unwilling to take into consideration the documented facts and circumstances of my case into consideration and denied my claim.

The SBC control unit had a warranty extension of 10 years as it was known to throw a code prematurely with a specific amount of brake depressions. The part essentially had a pre-determined fail date. Mercedes Benz is unwilling to stand behind this defect, and is unwilling to provide any assistance more than providing me a discount of 20% on a repair that was quoted at $3,039. And let me make it clear that the light came on prior to warranty expiration, but due to my travel s and delays in availability at the service department Mercedes Benz USA is denying responsibility. If the light came on within the warranty period, and the diagnostic was only 15 days late, and the delay only being weekend and availability of the service department why can’t Mercedes Benz step up to the palte and cover the repair. If they do not resolve this free of charge as the warranty dictates they will be losing a customer that was set to be one for life.

#MBUSA #MercedesBenzSA
navi243 is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 12:05 PM
  #2  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320
.
navi243 is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 12:10 PM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frederick
Posts: 622
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2000 ML320, 2005 E320 CDI
Since you copy and pasted this at Benzworld, I will copy my response here...

I understand why you're upset, but it's on you since you didn't take it in during the warranty period (which you knew in advance). You could have dropped it off so they had it when you were out of town. Yes the code was thrown before, but the warranty (as I understand it) requires it be in for service before the expiration.
boardboy330 is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 12:13 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320
well i did not have the time to do so, and it still doesnt make ti right for mercedes not to step up to the plate. If you have positive comments then please respond. I am trying to get an issue resolved not have Mercedes Benz ignore the facts in the scnario
navi243 is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 04:33 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320
This is a call for MB to do the right thing, that is all it is. Not too much to ask for a company to stand behind a product and say yes you didnt bring it in but due to your fact pattern we will do the right thing.
navi243 is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 06:54 PM
  #6  
Out Of Control!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 11,919
Received 590 Likes on 573 Posts
1999 E300TD
Here we go again!!

Last edited by Plutoe; 06-17-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Plutoe is offline  
Old 06-18-2014, 09:20 AM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
vettdvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,254
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by boardboy330 View Post
Since you copy and pasted this at Benzworld, I will copy my response here...

I understand why you're upset, but it's on you since you didn't take it in during the warranty period (which you knew in advance). You could have dropped it off so they had it when you were out of town. Yes the code was thrown before, but the warranty (as I understand it) requires it be in for service before the expiration.
This isn't negative but just a statement of facts. We may not like the facts but the car was brought in AFTER the warranty expired. It was by choice and having or not having the time doesn't change the warranty contract.

You made three choices:

1) Buy a MB
2) Buy a MB with SBC brakes
3) Not deliver the car to MB before the warranty expired.

I don't think MB should have EVER installed the SBC system and I will NEVER buy another vehicle with a system of this design. But that is another issue, and it would be nice if MB would stand up and help but I would expect nothing from the company who sells cars that can leak fuel in the pass compartment and not stand behind that issue also.
vettdvr is offline  
Old 06-18-2014, 09:47 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320
All I can do is attempt to get Mercedes to do something to resolve this. If you see it their way I respect that. I am of the belief that situations with details that are splitting hairs need to be looked into further and if customer service and reputation are of importance to the brand they can make exceptions. My facts are there and this can obviously be argued as black and white or as a grey matter. I choose to see it grey. You can choose to see it black and white, but all I can do is attempt to get MB to see it grey as well.
navi243 is offline  
Old 06-18-2014, 11:28 AM
  #9  
Out Of Control!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 11,919
Received 590 Likes on 573 Posts
1999 E300TD
Thats great approach---quote-- but all I can do is attempt to get MB to see it grey as well.--unquote

Why not spend your time implementing your strategy rather than on a deaf dead horse here!!
Plutoe is offline  
Old 06-18-2014, 02:56 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320
Thanks Plutoe. This post was part of my strategy, but I have to spend time responding to posts like yours.
navi243 is offline  
Old 06-18-2014, 05:18 PM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
vettdvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,254
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by navi243 View Post
All I can do is attempt to get Mercedes to do something to resolve this. If you see it their way I respect that. I am of the belief that situations with details that are splitting hairs need to be looked into further and if customer service and reputation are of importance to the brand they can make exceptions. My facts are there and this can obviously be argued as black and white or as a grey matter. I choose to see it grey. You can choose to see it black and white, but all I can do is attempt to get MB to see it grey as well.

You are correct, but I question MB on "is service and reputation important to MB" They gave me great service, but I won't buy another. Read also on the fuel leak inside the car for another example, or the Balance shaft issue. They all could apply the same logic, but I think some poor manufacturing/engineering and profiting on reputation will affect the outcome.

The real question is does MB want to "salvage the brand". That will determine if they help with your repair.

I am not taking sides, only pointing out the details an arbitrator would see. I think it would be great if they would warranty your SBC, but in other countries they didn't even offer the 10 yr extended warranty.
vettdvr is offline  
Old 06-18-2014, 05:52 PM
  #12  
Member
 
kurtismayfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 120
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Just curious, If you went out of town did you fly or drive? i figure if you drove you used a different car and if you flew, probably got to the airport somehow. Perhaps you could have called MB to have it towed and dropped off the keys (or leave them with a family member, friend or neighbor). I am only 60 yrs old but life lessons have taught me that deadlines should not be ignored!


Maybe calling them and giving them the code or warning before leaving might have helped. I do feel bad that you're in such a situation but I do not understand why all the responsibility is being put on MB's shoulders. Reverse roles.


You be MB and have claims coming in everyday after the warranty expiration. Where do you draw the the line? One day late? 3 days? 1 week, 2 weeks? a month?!!


So this fellow shows up at one your authorized dealerships and wants warranty service but his warranty expired. Now as the person responsible for validating the warranty, what would you do? You can't just ***** nilly approve it because it was close enough! Your job reviews will reflect your poor performance and suddenly look who is selling "stoplight roses!!"


If you bounce a check and it works out that you are only a nickel shy in your account will your bank let you slide? How about a late car payment or mortgage payment, will you not have to pay the late penalty or have the late pay ding on your credit report because you have documentation that the money was in their bank the whole month you were gone!


Sorry pal, I think the onus is on you. I know the exact date my 10 years are up (May 26, 2016). I 've known it since I became aware of that whole situation (Hope that trip was worth not making the call to tow it to the dealer). Didn't stop me from buying it either. I like the SBC brakes. They can stop faster and harder than conventional brakes. l also think they are easily modulated.


Actually I think MB already up to the plate on this one. 10 years! Look at GM and the ignition fiasco, the Ford Pinto fires and the Firestone/Explorer rollovers...they knew about them for years but you didn't see them offer something similar to MB.



My last thought then I'll step down. I do hope you can get this covered as we all know it is expensive. Finding out if the the car computer module records dates when a code is thrown is your only chance...does anyone know this info?? Could it be there but not easily extracted unless you know the 'special trick' or 'back door'?



My 2 cents.

Last edited by kurtismayfield; 06-18-2014 at 06:32 PM.
kurtismayfield is offline  
Old 06-18-2014, 06:28 PM
  #13  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Frederick
Posts: 622
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2000 ML320, 2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by navi243 View Post
well i did not have the time to do so, and it still doesnt make ti right for mercedes not to step up to the plate. If you have positive comments then please respond. I am trying to get an issue resolved not have Mercedes Benz ignore the facts in the scnario
You can ignore my comments, but the fact remains - it's on you. You chose to go on your trip with that vehicle instead of dropping it at a dealer and picking up a rental. You can blame it on MB all you want, but it is what it is.
boardboy330 is offline  
Old 06-18-2014, 08:33 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 105
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211
Originally Posted by kurtismayfield View Post
Just curious, If you went out of town did you fly or drive? i figure if you drove you used a different car and if you flew, probably got to the airport somehow. Perhaps you could have called MB to have it towed and dropped off the keys (or leave them with a family member, friend or neighbor). I am only 60 yrs old but life lessons have taught me that deadlines should not be ignored!


Maybe calling them and giving them the code or warning before leaving might have helped. I do feel bad that you're in such a situation but I do not understand why all the responsibility is being put on MB's shoulders. Reverse roles.


You be MB and have claims coming in everyday after the warranty expiration. Where do you draw the the line? One day late? 3 days? 1 week, 2 weeks? a month?!!


So this fellow shows up at one your authorized dealerships and wants warranty service but his warranty expired. Now as the person responsible for validating the warranty, what would you do? You can't just ***** nilly approve it because it was close enough! Your job reviews will reflect your poor performance and suddenly look who is selling "stoplight roses!!"


If you bounce a check and it works out that you are only a nickel shy in your account will your bank let you slide? How about a late car payment or mortgage payment, will you not have to pay the late penalty or have the late pay ding on your credit report because you have documentation that the money was in their bank the whole month you were gone!


Sorry pal, I think the onus is on you. I know the exact date my 10 years are up (May 26, 2016). I 've known it since I became aware of that whole situation (Hope that trip was worth not making the call to tow it to the dealer). Didn't stop me from buying it either. I like the SBC brakes. They can stop faster and harder than conventional brakes. l also think they are easily modulated.


Actually I think MB already up to the plate on this one. 10 years! Look at GM and the ignition fiasco, the Ford Pinto fires and the Firestone/Explorer rollovers...they knew about them for years but you didn't see them offer something similar to MB.



My last thought then I'll step down. I do hope you can get this covered as we all know it is expensive. Finding out if the the car computer module records dates when a code is thrown is your only chance...does anyone know this info?? Could it be there but not easily extracted unless you know the 'special trick' or 'back door'?



My 2 cents.
I agree with you 100%. If you ask anywhere else, we are the most spoiled customers in the whole world. I remember my German friend said, they don't even get anywhere 1 mile/1 day past the warranty period in Germany. But he says, that's because we accept the fact that there is a limit.
2.7Tallroader is offline  
Old 06-19-2014, 02:18 AM
  #15  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 58
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320
Since the details are being requested. I was unaware of the SBC issue when the light came on. Therefore I had no idea a 10 year warranty even existed until the dealer notified me. The day before my trip the light came on and it was after hours. And the following morning I flew out at 6am. Have documentation on flights if anyone wants to question that. The timing of this situation just happend to not be in my favor.

I did not drive out of town, I took a cab to the airport and flew out on business for 2 weeks. And since I was unaware of what the SBC even was, I simply thought it was a brake pad and rotor issue.
navi243 is offline  
Old 06-19-2014, 08:51 AM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
vettdvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,254
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Welcome to owning a MB. Write a check have it repaired.
vettdvr is offline  
Old 06-19-2014, 01:07 PM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 105
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211
I understand where you are coming from and your point of view where you had no time to bring it to the dealer and didn't know in time of a 10-year warranty and possible SBC issue. However, I do not think this is MB giving you the run around. I think you are asking for an accommodation for them to consider the situation and they refused. I think it is their prerogative to accept or decline. Unfortunately, they declined.

I do agree with vettedriver, there are things they take awhile to do a recall. Safety issues, like gasoline in passenger compartment, balance shafts & harmonic dampers that can leave you stranded need to be addressed quickly.
2.7Tallroader is offline  
Old 06-20-2014, 07:12 AM
  #18  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320
My visit workshop warning for the brakes is on and it is for the sbc the dealer wanted 169 just to look at the car anyway that i can get a goodwill warranty on the sbc and not pay the full repair?
Armand_44 is offline  
Old 06-20-2014, 08:27 AM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
vettdvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,254
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Armand_44 View Post
My visit workshop warning for the brakes is on and it is for the sbc the dealer wanted 169 just to look at the car anyway that i can get a goodwill warranty on the sbc and not pay the full repair?
The warranty was 10 yrs from in service date on SBC. If you are past that expect to pay for the repairs.
vettdvr is offline  
Old 06-20-2014, 11:30 AM
  #20  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320
Your brain was unable to process the question whitch is not shocking to me
Armand_44 is offline  
Old 06-20-2014, 11:32 AM
  #21  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320
Originally Posted by vettdvr View Post
The warranty was 10 yrs from in service date on SBC. If you are past that expect to pay for the repairs.
And you offcourse are not in the car bussiness if you think a warranty is the only protecting you lmao
Armand_44 is offline  
Old 06-20-2014, 12:45 PM
  #22  
Out Of Control!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 11,919
Received 590 Likes on 573 Posts
1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by Armand_44 View Post
My visit workshop warning for the brakes is on and it is for the sbc.The dealer wanted 169 dollars just to diagnose the car. Anything I can do to get a goodwill warranty on the sbc and not have to pay for the full repair?
I understand that you may be from a developing country and your understanding of English may not be as good as one who is, therefore I have taken the liberty and corrected the text in your question. Makes more sense now!!

My answer to the corrected question is------- you may have better luck if you bring a lady friend to the dealer to do the talking---definitely don't write him a letter

Last edited by Plutoe; 06-20-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Plutoe is offline  
Old 06-20-2014, 01:03 PM
  #23  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 105
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211
Originally Posted by Armand_44 View Post
Your brain was unable to process the question whitch is not shocking to me
What is shocking to me is your attitude. So what is your question so we may ALL be avle to PROCESS it?
2.7Tallroader is offline  
Old 06-20-2014, 02:00 PM
  #24  
Super Moderator
 
samaritrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: McLean VA
Posts: 5,279
Likes: 0
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by Armand_44 View Post
Your brain was unable to process the question whitch is not shocking to me
Originally Posted by Armand_44 View Post
And you offcourse are not in the car bussiness if you think a warranty is the only protecting you lmao
I'm going to overlook the rudeness this time and help you before we have a hanging
Looks to me like you were asking if their was a way to get MB to give you a free diagnostic and repair what is broken? You got your answer it is covered by a 10 year warranty If you have the common SBC issue they will not charge you the diag (if they do contact MB) Now if they find the issues is not covered for whatever reason then you will be on the hook for the diagnostic and the repair costs. As it looks like you have a 2003 unless it was sold in 2004 you are probably out of luck and will be lucky to get 25% covered by MB. Now if you have taken your car to the same dealer since new they will be much nicer to you and possibly cover a big % either themselves or try to contact MB on your behalf to get it covered. This is when giving your SA a seasons gift every year and giving them a bone every once and awhile will get you help. My SA got me $100 worth of parts on my c320 with almost 200,000 miles about a year ago. All that said your in California right? If you are not in the USA from what I have heard it is more difficult.
Play nice keep it on topic....

Last edited by samaritrey; 06-20-2014 at 02:10 PM.
samaritrey is offline  
Old 06-20-2014, 09:30 PM
  #25  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e320
Originally Posted by Plutoe View Post
I understand that you may be from a developing country and your understanding of English may not be as good as one who is, therefore I have taken the liberty and corrected the text in your question. Makes more sense now!!

My answer to the corrected question is------- you may have better luck if you bring a lady friend to the dealer to do the talking---definitely don't write him a letter
So funny coming from a 40 year old man that is mechanically declined and needs a website to help go back to china no need for u in the usa
Armand_44 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WARNING: SBC Control Unit - Mercedes Benz Warranty Run Around


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: