Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W211)
Grinding sound and vibrating when steering wheel is turned >

Grinding sound and vibrating when steering wheel is turned

Notices
E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Grinding sound and vibrating when steering wheel is turned

 
Old 09-15-2014, 08:43 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes Benz E350 4matic (Barolo Red Metallic) Appearance+Premium+Sport Packages
Grinding sound and vibrating when steering wheel is turned

Like I said in the title, on my 2006 E350 4matic, when I turn the steering wheel to make tight turns, u turns, or just a slightly sharp turn, I hear a grinding sound and the car vibrates. Someone told me that it is normal on MBs that have high mileage (132k) with 4matic. If anyone could help me out I would be grateful. Its an awesome car and I really like it, and I would rather not have to sell or rip apart the whole car to get it fixed.

Last edited by omarzamani; 09-15-2014 at 11:36 PM.
omarzamani is offline  
Old 09-15-2014, 09:50 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 204
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Probably some steering components. My suggestion is to take out the wheel and inspect visually.
despicable merc is offline  
Old 09-15-2014, 11:22 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Stuttgarten's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 441
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
'13 E350 . M276
Steering wheel squeak and grind could be eliminated with the use of Lubrizol which is a MB product for that purpose as well as stop leaks. You should probably consider doing power steering fluid service and add Lubrizol to the fresh fluid.
Stuttgarten is offline  
Old 09-15-2014, 11:29 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes Benz E350 4matic (Barolo Red Metallic) Appearance+Premium+Sport Packages
Originally Posted by Stuttgarten View Post
Steering wheel squeak and grind could be eliminated with the use of Lubrizol which is a MB product for that purpose as well as stop leaks. You should probably consider doing power steering fluid service and add Lubrizol to the fresh fluid.
I see how this could be a solution, but I think you misunderstood the problem. There is nothing wrong with the steering. It steers perfectly and easily. The problem is that when I turn the steering wheel all the way or close to all the way, the car itself shudders and vibrates and sounds like something is grinding against another. I could be wrong but I have a feeling it isnt the power steering fluid but im planning to get and oil change soon as well as some other service so I will add that to the list. If anyone knows, could it possibly be an alignment issue?
omarzamani is offline  
Old 09-16-2014, 08:42 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Barry45RPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale Area, USA
Posts: 4,977
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 ML 350
Have you had the engine &/or Transmission mounts checked?
Barry45RPM is offline  
Old 09-16-2014, 08:03 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: west palm beach USA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 2004 model Silver sedan
Originally Posted by omarzamani View Post
I see how this could be a solution, but I think you misunderstood the problem. There is nothing wrong with the steering. It steers perfectly and easily. The problem is that when I turn the steering wheel all the way or close to all the way, the car itself shudders and vibrates and sounds like something is grinding against another. I could be wrong but I have a feeling it isnt the power steering fluid but im planning to get and oil change soon as well as some other service so I will add that to the list. If anyone knows, could it possibly be an alignment issue?
Does it do it only when u drive or even in park?
Try turning it in park.Try turning it parked and in drive mode.

Let me know and then we can help U better.
dewana421 is offline  
Old 09-17-2014, 11:41 AM
  #7  
Out Of Control!!
 
konigstiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 10,384
Received 1,164 Likes on 980 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by omarzamani View Post
when I turn the steering wheel to make tight turns, u turns, or just a slightly sharp turn, I hear a grinding sound
May be transfer case, check your PM.
konigstiger is offline  
Old 09-17-2014, 05:54 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
rodneypierce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 259
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2009 e550 4Matic
If its actually the entire car that is doing it, change the transfer case fluid (might as well do the front and rear diff while your at it) assuming its never been done. I had mine changed at 70K miles when I bought it, and the issue went away.
rodneypierce is offline  
Old 09-17-2014, 10:40 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes Benz E350 4matic (Barolo Red Metallic) Appearance+Premium+Sport Packages
Originally Posted by dewana421 View Post
Does it do it only when u drive or even in park?
Try turning it in park.Try turning it parked and in drive mode.

Let me know and then we can help U better.
It does not happen when it is in park. Only while driving when im making turns parking u turns etc.

Thanks
omarzamani is offline  
Old 09-17-2014, 10:43 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes Benz E350 4matic (Barolo Red Metallic) Appearance+Premium+Sport Packages
Originally Posted by rodneypierce View Post
If its actually the entire car that is doing it, change the transfer case fluid (might as well do the front and rear diff while your at it) assuming its never been done. I had mine changed at 70K miles when I bought it, and the issue went away.
I do think it is the transfer case itself. MB released a service campaign for w211 2005-2007 with certain serial numbers of transfer cases that they will replace free of charge. I am speaking with someone to find out whether my transfer case will be replaced by MB with the service campaign. And you replaced the front and rear diffs as well as the TC fluid, how much did it cost?
omarzamani is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 08:51 AM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
vettdvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,254
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
It is hard to diagnose from the printed word, but don't overlook your power steering pump. I found the fluid needed to be changed to keep it working properly. No I didn't drain it, I only suctioned it empty topped off with proper fluid, drove 50 miles repeat, did this 3 times and all pump noise was gone
vettdvr is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 09:07 AM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
DTB P-B-28.50/11 is the transfer case # Have them check it out. It was only the w211 2005-2007 4matics as far as I can tell.
jaxfl is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 09:48 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 359
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Hammer
Does it clunk sound like a roller coaster?
MProved is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 10:40 AM
  #14  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes Benz E350 4matic (Barolo Red Metallic) Appearance+Premium+Sport Packages
Originally Posted by jaxfl View Post
DTB P-B-28.50/11 is the transfer case # Have them check it out. It was only the w211 2005-2007 4matics as far as I can tell.
So it seems my car would fall in that category. I think they replace it for free then even without warranty
omarzamani is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 10:42 AM
  #15  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes Benz E350 4matic (Barolo Red Metallic) Appearance+Premium+Sport Packages
Originally Posted by MProved View Post
Does it clunk sound like a roller coaster?
No, not really it's similar but faster, they aren't slow clunks. Sounds like metal grinding against metal.
omarzamani is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 12:06 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Check all your RUBBER mounts. I just replaced a bunch of them in my 2006 that had rotted or broken or cracked and I did have some cluck before that.

also check this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...g-turning.html

Last edited by jaxfl; 09-18-2014 at 12:13 PM.
jaxfl is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 03:12 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes Benz E350 4matic (Barolo Red Metallic) Appearance+Premium+Sport Packages
So I called MB today, and I was told that the service campaign for the transfer case was closed in 2013, but I have been told by other people that service campaigns and recalls do NOT expire. I am thoroughly disappointed...
omarzamani is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 03:19 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Call another MB Dealership... maybe even 2 more and see what they say.
jaxfl is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 04:36 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes Benz E350 4matic (Barolo Red Metallic) Appearance+Premium+Sport Packages
I called mbusa, and they told me my car isn't included in the service. Even though I have the same problem as it. Does anyone know if it can be harmful to my car if I drive it over a long period of time without fixing this? I will change the oil in the transfer case soon but a new transfer case costs a few thousand dollars and I cant do that right now.
omarzamani is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 05:37 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 204
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Ive had some grading noise when i was turning. Went to the shop they couldn't figure it out. Then i went to autozone and bought wd40 removed the wheel check everything myself. Couldn't find anything and just sprayed every joint component, connection and bushings. Never had any noises after that.. Those connection can get squeaky especially after rain.
despicable merc is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 10:29 PM
  #21  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes Benz E350 4matic (Barolo Red Metallic) Appearance+Premium+Sport Packages
Originally Posted by despicable merc View Post
Ive had some grading noise when i was turning. Went to the shop they couldn't figure it out. Then i went to autozone and bought wd40 removed the wheel check everything myself. Couldn't find anything and just sprayed every joint component, connection and bushings. Never had any noises after that.. Those connection can get squeaky especially after rain.
But it isnt a noise, rather more like a feel with noise. I can feel the car vibrating and something grinding against another when turning. Also that does come along with noise so I will try what you said. Did you do it on the front and back?
omarzamani is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 11:21 PM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 204
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Originally Posted by omarzamani View Post
But it isnt a noise, rather more like a feel with noise. I can feel the car vibrating and something grinding against another when turning. Also that does come along with noise so I will try what you said. Did you do it on the front and back?
Front.. There's nothing at the back. See if you have cracked bushings.. If yes then fill it with some lubricant. Control arms have rubber bushings filled with lube and if they cracked they will make noise.

Grinding sound and vibrating when steering wheel is turned-img_20140718_193041_zpsb5fgw9gj.jpg


That's what i did.. I know its sloppy fix.

Try to spray these areas

Grinding sound and vibrating when steering wheel is turned-img_20140918_112337_zpsqrkozw5b.jpg

Last edited by despicable merc; 09-18-2014 at 11:26 PM.
despicable merc is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 11:24 PM
  #23  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes Benz E350 4matic (Barolo Red Metallic) Appearance+Premium+Sport Packages
Originally Posted by despicable merc View Post
Front.. There's nothing at the back. See if you have cracked bushings.. If yes then fill it with some lubricant. Control arms have rubber bushings filled with lube and if they cracked they will make noise.




That's what i did.. I know its sloppy fix.
I will try that soon. Also if it doesn't work it will just prove that it's the transfer case issue. Thanks for the help
omarzamani is offline  
Old 09-19-2014, 12:58 AM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMGAffalterbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Posts: 3,190
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Just from your title this describes a bad wheel bearing issue exactly...
AMGAffalterbach is offline  
Old 09-19-2014, 01:05 AM
  #25  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes Benz E350 4matic (Barolo Red Metallic) Appearance+Premium+Sport Packages
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach View Post
Just from your title this describes a bad wheel bearing issue exactly...
There is so many things it could possibly be! It also is exactly like a bad transfer case
omarzamani is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Grinding sound and vibrating when steering wheel is turned


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: