Easy-Exit Feature... seat not moving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-220CDI, VW Multivan 2.5TDI
Unhappy Easy-Exit Feature... seat not moving

Hi,
just got my new E 3 days ago. Overall a great car but...

I activated the key dependant feature and set Easy-Exit to wheel & seat. It worked a few times but on Sunday when I pulled the key the seat moved back a little bit, then forward and stopped there. I started the car again and pressed Memory 1 until the seat was back in my position. I then pulled the key again - wheel went back, seat didn't move at all.

I set everything to default, set it up again but... since Sunday my seat isn't moving back!

Anyone has an idea on how to reset the seat or whatsoever?

Thanks
Michael
Old 01-06-2004, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
maybe the key you are using is programmed with the feature off??
try your other key or try turning off key dependent feature. if that doesn't work, i would go to the dealer...

sometimes my seat doesn't come all they way back into position, but it works most of the time. good luck.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 E550 Cabriolet/19 SL550
I have the same issue with my E500 on the passenger seat. Sometimes it will only move partway with the manual seat button. Depressing the memory button normally works but not always.

Let us know if you find a solution.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Almost a Member!

E320
There is a threshold position beyond which the seat will not move back automatically. If your seat is too far back (behind the threshold position), the seat will not move back automatically to the exit position when you remove the key. You either need to move the seat forward a bit for the easy exit feature to work OR the service people say that they can reprogram the car so that the threshold position is farther back.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:03 PM

Hi,
thanks for the suggestion with the threshold. But I think I am not that tall so my seat is not all the way back.

I will bring the car to a local dealer on Thursday. It also pulls right and one fan in the drivers ventilated seat is making a terrible noise. I hope they can fix everything.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:12 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
PSquared is right about the threshold- You have to be real short for the feature to work at all. I need to get mine re calibrated
Old 01-07-2004, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Originally posted by Mortenstein
Hi,
thanks for the suggestion with the threshold. But I think I am not that tall so my seat is not all the way back.

I will bring the car to a local dealer on Thursday. It also pulls right and one fan in the drivers ventilated seat is making a terrible noise. I hope they can fix everything.
by the way, be careful with the pulling (alignment) problem...they just applied some fix to mine (and still charged me for an alignment ) and it made the problem worse...my steering is all over the place now and i wish i would've just left it alone. anyway, they're going to look at it again, but you never know with those service guys...
Old 01-07-2004, 10:14 AM

Angry

Originally posted by moa4r
by the way, be careful with the pulling (alignment) problem...they just applied some fix to mine (and still charged me for an alignment ) and it made the problem worse...my steering is all over the place now and i wish i would've just left it alone. anyway, they're going to look at it again, but you never know with those service guys...
Thanks for your advice! I talked with some friends who tried the local dealer and they all suggested NOT to let them work on a $72k car unless absolutely necessary. They even overfilled the oil at one car - one of the simplest tasks when servicing a car.

They also don't cover seats and floor and touch the interiour with their oily hands...

Since all the problems aren't that bad - I will not give them a chance to make it worse. When I'm back in Germany I will have it checked there.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:49 AM

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
Frankly speaking I'm finding that service is the biggest quality problem that MB has...they need to get all these dealer service centers whipped in shape. Supposed to get my car back today once again, last time they claimed to fix the parktronic and when they pull up the car and I turn it on, the whole thing is dead. I got pissed and told them, don't you even "turn the damn thing on to see if it is working"..The SA gave me some BS story about how complicated the electronics are, and the techs always do their checks.

Turns out, a wire was not hooked up, so there is no way it ever worked after the tech worked on it, and he actually didn't check it. They just changed the part, screwed it back together and said "I'm done". The SA acknowledged this and was apologetic, but this is unexcusable service.

And everytime you take it in it is a multi-day affair, not once have they given the car back the same day. I can tolerate the car having problems, even my Honda does, but I take it in for service, and by the end of the day, I have a working car again, no issues.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by abhansali
Frankly speaking I'm finding that service is the biggest quality problem that MB has...they need to get all these dealer service centers whipped in shape. ... And everytime you take it in it is a multi-day affair, not once have they given the car back the same day. I can tolerate the car having problems, even my Honda does, but I take it in for service, and by the end of the day, I have a working car again, no issues.
Well, I am only "visiting" the US for 3 years and I think, the service problem is everywhere. But this seems to be a problem of the system itself! A guy flipping burgers today can be a mechanic tomorrow. How is that supposed to work? Ask the salesman about certain features of the car... you will most likely get a bs-answer because they have no clue what they are selling. I frequently change oil on my VW-Multivan at PepBoys because they sell the oil I want in the car. EVERY time (I always watch when the car is in the bay) it takes the "mechanic" about 30 minutes to find out that there are metric screws to get the engine-cover off. Then I say "6 qt - it's a large Diesel engine" - everytime they try to stop filling after 5, although I even paid for 6. They NEVER use a new copper washer for the screw... no wonder all cars leak. So I bring my own! Last time the guy walked up to me asking (in spanish - no english at all) how to put the washer on the oil-filter...

Concerning car service I don't trust anybody unless I can wait for the car and watch the mechanic what he's doing. I learned my lesson.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:46 AM

2003 E320
Originally posted by PSquared
There is a threshold position beyond which the seat will not move back automatically. If your seat is too far back (behind the threshold position), the seat will not move back automatically to the exit position when you remove the key. You either need to move the seat forward a bit for the easy exit feature to work OR the service people say that they can reprogram the car so that the threshold position is farther back.
I had the same questions a year ago with mine. After some "reasearch" the SA advised me that is is suppose to work that way to prevent a person that sits in the back seat behind the driver from getting their legs crushed, hince, only moving back to a limit.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally posted by CaptMike
I had the same questions a year ago with mine. After some "reasearch" the SA advised me that is is suppose to work that way to prevent a person that sits in the back seat behind the driver from getting their legs crushed, hince, only moving back to a limit.
Yet, even on a 2003 SL500 (a two seater with no rear passengers), there is the same limitation on the easy-exit feature!?
Old 01-09-2004, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally posted by CaptMike
I had the threshold moved back by the dealer. They did have me sign a form letter stating that the leg room in the rear behind the driver was now very minimal.

The threshold settings seem to be different on different cars. The threshold on my replacement E500 was much further forward than on my pre-nav car.

They can and will change the threshold if you want it.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:27 PM

Thumbs down

Hi,
I believe that there must be a threshod position, however - I think something is wrong with my seat.

I moved it all the way forward so my knees were behind my ears. Then I pressed M and 1 to program this position. I pressed "2" and everything started moving to another position. Pressed "1" again - seat moved all the way forward as programmed. Then I pulled the key (and believe me, there was a lot of legroom at this moment) and only the wheel moved back, but the seat remained where it was.

I checked the system - it was set to "wheel and seat" + "key dependant". So this feature obviuosly doesn't work. But I just set it to "wheel only" since for me it is not that important.