E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Dealer's Suspension Repair Quote:

Old 03-02-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
'13 E350 . M276
Dealer's Suspension Repair Quote:

While I have car at dealer for tank repairs, they did an inspection and told me I needed some suspension work and here's the breakdown:

1. Tie Rod Ball Joints with Alignment. $871
2. Thrust Arm Ball Joints..................$1382
3. Lower Control Arms Ball Joints......$1056

Sept. 2014, I had my lower ball joints changed at an INDY and I paid $538 for that.

This is really frustrating, I will have to wait till tank is replaced to take it back to INDY to discuss his "failed" lower ball joints work, and he could tell me no it's not that, it's something else and I'm not gonna know

For those who have had this done or have some experience, could this be done or combined in one job so as to reduce overall cost. I just need to find me an "HONEST" INDY, seems hard these days as everybody out there seems to want to you.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 Mercedes E500, 2008 Mercedes ML350
Originally Posted by Stuttgarten
While I have car at dealer for tank repairs, they did an inspection and told me I needed some suspension work and here's the breakdown:

Sept. 2014, I had my lower ball joints changed at an INDY and I paid $538 for that.

This is really frustrating, I will have to wait till tank is replaced to take it back to INDY to discuss his "failed" lower ball joints work, and he could tell me no it's not that, it's something else and I'm not gonna know

For those who have had this done or have some experience, could this be done or combined in one job so as to reduce overall cost. I just need to find me an "HONEST" INDY, seems hard these days as everybody out there seems to want to you.
Yikes. Too bad you're not in New York. I have an honest, knowledgeable indy on Long Island that is amazing, and very affordable.

The parts aren't the problem, as you'd be hard-pressed to find a ball joint, even Febi or Lemforder, that's over $40: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...all_joint.html

Control Arms: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ntrol_arm.html

Control Arm Bushings: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...m_bushing.html

Thrust Arms: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...hrust_arm.html

My Indy just replaced my sway bar links on both sides, and some sway bar attachment bushings where the suppliers and dealer all wanted to sell the whole thing. Found the pair for $40 from a german company that makes the bushings. He put them in and they're great. Also found the sway bar links (which are the expensive ones because its an E500 Airmatic 4Matic) for $100 on ebay from a dealer who was quietly selling off inventory (came in a box from their parts department and my paypal went to the dealer's account). $300 labor, 200 for the sway bar links, and $40 for the bushings. $540 plus tax.

Last edited by wjcandee; 03-02-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:35 PM

'13 E350 . M276
Originally Posted by wjcandee
Yikes. Too bad you're not in New York. I have an honest, knowledgeable indy on Long Island that is amazing, and very affordable.

The parts aren't the problem, as you'd be hard-pressed to find a ball joint, even Febi or Lemforder, that's over $40: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...all_joint.html

My Indy just replaced my sway bar links on both sides, and some sway bar attachment bushings where the suppliers and dealer all wanted to sell the whole thing. Found the pair for $40 from a german company that makes the bushings. He put them in and they're great. Also found the sway bar links (which are the expensive ones because its an E500 Airmatic 4Matic) for $100 on ebay from a dealer who was quietly selling off inventory (came in a box from their parts department and my paypal went to the dealer's account). $300 labor, 200 for the sway bar links, and $40 for the bushings. $540 plus tax.
Thanks for your input Wjcandee. At least this gives me a ball park figure to start. It probably would be cheaper to ship car to NY and back and get repairs done there, than to do it at the dealer's over here.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by Stuttgarten

You took the car in for tank repair. Were you experiencing any problems with your suspension?

Dealer prices on suspension are really high. I had the entire suspension replaced for less than they are quoting
Old 03-03-2015, 12:10 PM

'13 E350 . M276
Originally Posted by rediesel
You took the car in for tank repair. Were you experiencing any problems with your suspension?

Dealer prices on suspension are really high. I had the entire suspension replaced for less than they are quoting
Yes, I did hear creaking noise every now and then, that's despite having had lower ball joints changed like 6 months ago. Now that I have correct diagnosis, I will certainly shop around for a decent INDY. And of course skip the STEALER!

If anybody is the San Francisco Bay Area knows of an honest MB INDY, please let me know.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
14 550 sedan
If you're willing to commute all the way to SF from Concord, PM me.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 slk 32 amg, 2013 c300 4matic sport

whats your indy shop
Old 09-15-2015, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by xjaymzzx
whats your indy shop
Believe it or not, I go to a place called Cove Tire in Glen Cove. My guy there is the service manager, Michael Singh. He has a fair number of Mercedes owners as clients (and he even services the local Mercedes Dealer's vans, which amuses me). Last time I was in, he was considering whether to buy for his own use an exact duplicate of my car from someone he knew at a good price.

What I like about Michael is that beyond his considerable expertise, he never ever ever ever tries to sell you anything. If you need one headlight bulb replaced, you have to tell him that you want both sides done, because if it isn't broken, he isn't going to try to sell you the other. More importantly, he sources parts of excellent quality at affordable prices. He will get the OE part from the dealer if you like, but for things like brake disks, alternators, etc., if you want him to (which I do), he is going to find a high-quality or OEM part at considerably-less than the OE part. So I have Textar brake disks and pads, Bilstein rear shocks, a rebuilt Bosch alternator, etc. And I just like the guy, because he is an honest, friendly, concerned person who treats you like a family member.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 slk 32 amg, 2013 c300 4matic sport
Believe it or not, I go to a place called Cove Tire in Glen Cove. My guy there is the service manager, Michael Singh. He has a fair number of Mercedes owners as clients (and he even services the local Mercedes Dealer's vans, which amuses me). Last time I was in, he was considering whether to buy for his own use an exact duplicate of my car from someone he knew at a good price.

What I like about Michael is that beyond his considerable expertise, he never ever ever ever tries to sell you anything. If you need one headlight bulb replaced, you have to tell him that you want both sides done, because if it isn't broken, he isn't going to try to sell you the other. More importantly, he sources parts of excellent quality at affordable prices. He will get the OE part from the dealer if you like, but for things like brake disks, alternators, etc., if you want him to (which I do), he is going to find a high-quality or OEM part at considerably-less than the OE part. So I have Textar brake disks and pads, Bilstein rear shocks, a rebuilt Bosch alternator, etc. And I just like the guy, because he is an honest, friendly, concerned person who treats you like a family member.
Thanks! So hard to find a decent shop. I will give them a try!
Old 09-16-2015, 12:08 AM

And if you ever have any questions or issues, feel free to post here. You can tell them that William Candee recommended you.