W211 Repair costs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 05:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,421 Likes on 3,147 Posts
'71 Pinto
W211 Repair costs

In reading Carnaught’s thread “brake issue – third time” https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=58309 he questions maintenance costs, great timing. Those who purchased ‘03s, and some who drive their ‘04 hard will start to need maintenance (i.e.: replace brake pads, etc.) that does not fall under the free maintenance program. Might I request that those USA members who have had wear & tear items replaced at cost record their details here – dealer, dealer’s state, description of maintenance and/or repair, and the price paid? In this way we can establish benchmarks so that we are not over charged. When given a quote for maintenance or repair by our dealer, we can come here to compare the price given to the price paid by others for the same service. We can therefore negotiate to have the lowest cost matched simply by quoting that which is recorded here.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Sorry but...if you're going to try to save a few $'s here and there, why own a Benz?

I can understand if the deviance in price is thousands of $...but....well...

Old 01-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally posted by Arnee
Sorry but...if you're going to try to save a few $'s here and there, why own a Benz?

Don't be confused, get smart. A car, Benz or Bentley depreciates - real estate doesn't. And that's where my extra "pennies" continue to be invested. Same reason I refused to pay no more than $1100 UNDER invoice when I purchased - February '03 at a time when my local dealers were steadfast on MSRP. The damn thing depreciates, get it?
Old 01-23-2004, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by konigstiger
Don't be confused, get smart. A car, Benz or Bentley depreciates - real estate doesn't. And that's where my extra "pennies" continue to be invested. Same reason I refused to pay no more than $1100 UNDER invoice when I purchased - February '03 at a time when my local dealers were steadfast on MSRP. The damn thing depreciates, get it?

Get smart? You buy a Benz knowing that cars depreciate yet you complain about the costs of maintenance, depreciation, and whatever else.

If you don't want to waste your money on stuff that depreciates, have high maintenance, etc, then don't complain...that's all.

Old 01-23-2004, 06:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Get smart? You buy a Benz knowing that cars depreciate yet you complain about the costs of maintenance, depreciation, and whatever else.

If you don't want to waste your money on stuff that depreciates, have high maintenance, etc, then don't complain...that's all.

Who's complaining???????????
Old 01-23-2004, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build date 2-04 E500
I was able to buy my benz by years of saving, pinching pennys not being bent over every time I went to the dealer for service or anything else for that matter... Boy, I hope when I finally get my car I don't get a lot of people that think they could stick it to me because I drive a Mercedes...
konigstiger, As far as compairing costs I think it a good idea as long as were comparing state to state... This maybe a more accurate comparision... I read in the other post that you referred to that MB charges $60.00+ for the rotation of tires???? that is an insult... I was pissed when the Volvo dealer charged my ol'lady $20.00 for the samething.... Glad I own a floor jack....
Old 01-23-2004, 08:14 PM

*sigh*

OMG! Someone shoot me--I still shop at Marshalls! How dare I drive a Benzo!

Old 01-23-2004, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
not sure if there are many DIYers here on this board. Brake pads are actually very easy to change on a "normal" car, but with SBC, given that the system has to be deactivated to change the pads, who knows.

does the E have lifetime coolant, and lifetime transmission and differential fluid fills? what kinds of activities are actually on the maintenance schedule?
Old 01-23-2004, 10:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
[B]konigstiger, As far as compairing costs I think it a good idea as long as were comparing state to state... This maybe a more accurate comparision... I read in the other post that you referred to that MB charges $60.00+ for the rotation of tires????/B]
Certainly, details – dealer, dealer’s state, description of maintenance and/or repair, and the price paid.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 White on Stone E320

You have no problems getting ripped off? If I can buy something at Store A for $1 but Store B costs me $10, I sure as hell am gonna buy it at Store A, no matter how rich I am. Most normal people think that way. Thus, a main reason behind the success of Walmart.

Oh, and give me any free dollars you have. You seem to have no problems giving away money. I'll take it. I won't even drive the Benz around so you won't feel like these poor money saving *******s are hurting the Benz image.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the big ripoff is the way the shop prices repairs. they add many additional un-necessary procedures to "work the clock" on labor. Need a radiator hose replaced? A quick job, but when they add a full pressure test of the cooling system to the bill, forget it. in the real world, no one does this. same on many other repairs. Its not just MB, all dealers operate this way. and its harder to find an independent shop to work on these cars because none of them have the computer diagnostic systems.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
If I bought a $56-90k (which I did, except W210), I wouldn't worry much about maintenance cost, it is a given that it will be expensive, brake service (pads only) $400-500, Service A or service B about $300-350, all that, ohh well, look at what I'm driving, what kind of pads will I be able to get for $25.00 for my Benz???

If I had money to buy a Bentley/Maybach/Rolls Roice I'd pay $5,000 for an oil change, and I wouldn't worry about those little things.

If people don't want to pay dealer shop prices, it is fine, just go to a Benz specialized mechanic and pay 30-40% less on the labor, but about the same on parts.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:33 AM
Guest0001

Boy, I hope when I finally get my car I don't get a lot of people that think they could stick it to me because I drive a Mercedes...
Just wait and see. When I first Got my C320 everyone I knew was asking me when I was going to take them out to dinner.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally posted by pocholin
If I bought a $56-90k (which I did, except W210), I wouldn't worry much about maintenance cost
Great. So that's your opinion and mindset. Did you check out https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=58346 because I think you may be interested. Also, how about the Brooklyn Bridge? Because I got a piece of the original walkway (really) - make an offer.

It's great that we can all express our feelings but lets get some pricing out there.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:06 AM
Almost a Member!

MB dealers just generally charge more.

I bought a set of mounted and balanced snow tires/wheels from Tirerack for my W211

Dealer wanted $30 EACH to change them over. I made sure they understood that they were mounted and balanced already, nothing needed just lift, unbolt, swap and bolt on.

Local chevy dealer did it for me for $30 total.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
konigstiger, As far as compairing costs I think it a good idea as long as were comparing state to state... This maybe a more accurate comparision... I read in the other post that you referred to that MB charges $60.00+ for the rotation of tires???? that is an insult... I was pissed when the Volvo dealer charged my ol'lady $20.00 for the samething.... Glad I own a floor jack....
Think that's bad? Dealer charged me $130 to mount and balance 4 set of tires on the ML....coulda done it for $50 outside. Figured I would save some time as the ML was in for service

-G-
Old 01-24-2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by codex57
You have no problems getting ripped off? If I can buy something at Store A for $1 but Store B costs me $10, I sure as hell am gonna buy it at Store A, no matter how rich I am. Most normal people think that way. Thus, a main reason behind the success of Walmart.

Oh, and give me any free dollars you have. You seem to have no problems giving away money. I'll take it. I won't even drive the Benz around so you won't feel like these poor money saving *******s are hurting the Benz image.
There's a difference. If you want it all done at the dealership (Store A), then be ready to fork up $$ because of the simple fact that it IS a dealership, a benz dealership at that.

Sure, if I can find a mechanic (Store B) that can change the SBC brakes for 30-40% cheaper without any issues, then why not? I frankly don't like taking my car to the dealership because they can't treat a car right, wether it's a benz or a honda.

The dealership isn't comparable to a local mechanic.

I didn't mean to come off with a snobby attitude about owning a Benz. I just meant expect to pay $$ if you bring it to the dealer and don't wish for saving a few $$ while doing so!!
Old 01-24-2004, 12:48 PM

I was able to buy my benz by years of saving, pinching pennys not being bent over every time I went to the dealer for service or anything else for that matter... Boy, I hope when I finally get my car I don't get a lot of people that think they could stick it to me because I drive a Mercedes...

If you want a good tire balancing, $60 for all four is average using the Hunter 9700 machine. Any ole joe with an old tire balancer may be able to charge $20 or less.

BTW, I do watch where my money goes. I didn't say that just because I have a Benz I throw money around like it's the end of the world. Focusing the topic on the car itself......we all should know that maintenance, aftermarket parts, oem parts, etc. are more costly than your "average" car, whatever that is.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:05 PM

2003 E500
I think all of you are going to extremes. I think we can all agree we wouldnt want to pay a gross amount over what a "normal" shop charges. What we need to understand is everyone's amount of a "gross" amount is different. I wouldnt pay $150 for a tire rotation/balance because ive researched what it costs to have a 4 tire balance /rotate done with a hunter 9700 (which does road force balancing, in case anyone is wondering what the difference is between the hunter and your average spin balancer)
Now, the going rate in my area is 15 per wheel. Thats $60 per 4. Now, if that shop was busy, I would have no problem paying $70 or $80 down the road. BUT, thats MY limit. If it was over $80, id say pass and wait until the shop I normally go to could get me in.
Now , some of you would pay over 80 in this same situation, becuase we all have a amount we think our own time is worth, and also how much its going to cost us to drive all over town looking to save 10 or 20 bucks. The same formula applies to ALL of us, one way or another. I myself will replace my own brakes and could care less what it costs for pads. My first priority is performance (thats one of the reasons I bought this car) and cost is second. A car is NOT a positive investment. I knew that going in, and I dont want to save $$ at the price of performance. Heck, If I wanted to save money, Id buy the hardest tires I could find so they would last the longest. Then Id modify my driving style to really stretch out the tread life. Each of us has our own idea of saving money. Dont condemn one persons veiw. The original poster wanted a baseline for brake pad replacement with labor.
Id call 3 dealers in different areas and ask them what it would cost, and what pads they will be using. done deal
Old 01-24-2004, 01:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally posted by gbrandon
The original poster wanted a baseline for brake pad replacement with labor. Id call 3 dealers in different areas and ask them what it would cost, and what pads they will be using. done deal
Of course, I think it's safe to say we ALL would. But actually what I was trying to do was to have members list the price they paid to replace or repair wear & tear items using brake pads as one example. I'm not complaining. I'm not critiquing other’s opinions. I, by no means, squeeze a quarter until the eagle cries. Just simply looking for what's being paid - not to save a dollar or two on a visit or two but more so not to be gouged across the board for ongoing out of pocket maintenance. Maybe ALL dealers fall in line with the same pricing, I don't know at this point. But when someone has out of pocket work done they can post the details here and we can judge from there. That is to say, mark ups may, or may not be uniform with parts and labor with all dealers. Bottom line, we can come to this thread, see what others paid, and maybe save in the long run. Just trying to make it easier for everyone, that's all.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Has anyone bothered to read the original post here? You guys are so off topic you need a new Forum much less a new thread. I think the original cost comparison idea is a good one and 1 thread may just be enough to keep track of it if we're not fighting over who has more money. I know guys on this board who make more than most of us combined and they never taunt others about wanting to save money. Fact is, if you can drive one of these cars you're doing well, if you want to save more money so you can afford other fineries in life, then good for you, so do I.

My $0.02
Old 01-24-2004, 03:30 PM

Brake Service

Just to clarify, I thought all scheduled maintenance is free of charge (i.e., Service A, B, etc.) The only thing we have to pay for is "wear and tear" items like wiper blades and brake pads. If I'm wrong, then please let me know. I know with BMW everything is paid for under the warranty including brake pads. Oh well. Months after I bought my car I was experiencing front brake noise. After several trips the service advisor finally just had the pads and rotors replaced free of charge; however, on one of those visits he did tell me that my rear brake pads were worn (22,000 miles) and they needed to be replaced. He thought that he could get the dealer to replace the rears without charge, but long story short is that he couldn't and I paid $160. To date, that is the only maintenace cost I paid. I do believe that I had Service A completed without charge. Hope this helps. BTW, the dealer is W.I. Simonson in Santa Monica, California--the loaner car I got was a 2003 ML350.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

$160 for parts and labor for rear brake pad replacements at the MB dealer? that is dirt cheap.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:53 PM

2003 E500
Originally posted by nyca
$160 for parts and labor for rear brake pad replacements at the MB dealer? that is dirt cheap.
I agree. Although it takes all of a hour to turn 2 rotors and replace pads. Does anyone know the standard MB shop rate per hour in california?

-Geoff
Old 01-24-2004, 06:11 PM

Re: Brake Service

Originally posted by Joseesq
...i.e., Service A, B, etc... ...Service A completed...
With the E-class ("FSS-plus"), the letters A, B, C, etc...only indicate how much time it will approx. take for service, not what has to be done. This is the "service-code" and is meant for the driver to call the service advisor (/receptionist or whatever you call it in the US,....), so he can schedule the needed amount of time for service.

To know what has to be done, the "workshop-code" is needed and this consists of numbers or letters or both, such as "33", "8QMD", "5QTK", and so on.

So do not compare the E-class's "A's", "B's" and so on with other types with ordinary FSS.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W211 Repair costs