E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Finally!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 4-Matic, Silver, Blk Leather, P2 package, Sport pkg, Drive Dynamic Seat
Finally!

I picked up the car Friday night. Have driven the car 100 miles and all I can say is WOW! A big difference from my 2000 E-320. The nav system is pretty cool. I tried confusing it several times, but it always put me back on track.

The wood wheel was installed by my dealer for $795. I got my salesmen to throw in the new 4-Matic winter mats.

Two minor glithces - The heated steering wheel is not working (the dealer probably didn't hook it up correctly) and the damm homelink garage door opener won't operate. I'v programed it correctly (I don't have a rolling code) several time but no go. My old E-320 worked fine with the same openers. I spent too much time dealing with the openers so I'll let my dealer handle it.

I've attached some pictures and hope they came out ok.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:49 PM

2010 E350 4-Matic, Silver, Blk Leather, P2 package, Sport pkg, Drive Dynamic Seat
Forgot to mention the car came with the White Dials.

Don't know what happened to the pictures...will try again.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Congratulations..... I bet its a great feeling.... Did your ride come with active headlights???
Old 01-26-2004, 08:22 AM

Not sure about the active headlights. Will run a test this evening.

Apparently the forum is having a problem uploading pictures. Hopefully it will be corrected soon.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:49 AM

'03 BMW 330i ZHP / '06 Volvo V70R
I thought you couldn't get the heated steering wheel with the wooden steering wheel.

Makes sense since you can't run the heating coils through a solid piece of wood. And if you did, it would take too much energy to heate dup even just a little as wood is an insulator.

Perhaps that is why it "doesn't work."

My guess is that your original wheel is a heated wheel and thus more expensive than normal ones. This is because I'm sure all E's are pre-wired for the heated wheel and only those who order the wheels with the heated coils get the "heated wheel" option.

As a design engineer, that's how I'd do it.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I do not know about the dealer installed wood wheels but the factory installed wood wheels can be heated. However, it is heated only at the leather covered portion of the wheel and not on the wood itself.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:32 PM

'03 BMW 330i ZHP / '06 Volvo V70R
Originally posted by pfphipps
...it is heated only at the leather covered portion of the wheel and not on the wood itself.
That is what I figured.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:41 PM

2016 E400 4-Matic Coupe, 2002 Chev 2500 HD Crew, 1983 Porsche 911SC,
Skipper,

Please let us know the status of whether or not the wood wheel was hooked up correctly or not when you find out. I'm interested because I too ordered the heated wheel package and was told I couldn't get the wood wheel in conjunction with a heated wheel option. Said they were having difficulties with the heating element. I would like to know if they finally figured this out so I can order the wood wheel with heater option.

Also, as an FYI, the heat output on the leather wheel is very minimal. It has to be really cold outside to feel much of a difference. Like 15 deg or something. When it is, you can feel the heat, but only for awhile, as it tapers off in a short time span, and only heats to an ambient temp. Not hot like my snowmobile grip heaters.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
hey congrats... enjoy !!
Old 01-26-2004, 04:38 PM

Thanks for your comments guys. I really love this car...but it's things like this heated steering wheel problem thats starting to **** me off!

I just got off the phone with the service manager and he's trying to tell me the wood wheel they installed does NOT have the heating option. I told him this was unacceptable since I paid $410 for the heated wheel option (they gave me the original non wood wheel that came with the car). Why would I pay for an option that wouldn't work with the wood wheel? Why didn't my salesman inform me of this when I orderd the car since he knew that I wanted the wood wheel?

The service manager will get back to me. I plan on giving him two options at that time:

1. Get me a new wood wheel that has the heating option (others on this forum have received wood wheels from the factory with the heating option).

2. I keep the current wood wheel with no heating option and the dealer reimburse me $410.

Again it's things like this that **** you off! If the dealer was straightforward from the beginning, we wouldn't have to go through this crap!

However, I am not going to let a situation like this take away the fact that I do own a very nice car! I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:13 PM

E320 MB sedan
Garage Door Opener

I too had problems programming a non-rolling code opener.

What I found worked was to click the remote open/shut/open/shut at 20 sec intervals until you get the three fast blinks from the car. Apparently, some garage remotes have an auto shutoff, and the shutoff time is too short for the MB to synch
Old 01-26-2004, 10:05 PM

Re: Garage Door Opener

Originally posted by dgmcdermott
I too had problems programming a non-rolling code opener.

What I found worked was to click the remote open/shut/open/shut at 20 sec intervals until you get the three fast blinks from the car. Apparently, some garage remotes have an auto shutoff, and the shutoff time is too short for the MB to synch
Thanks...I'll give this a try tomorrow. To late to fool around with it tonight.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally posted by skipper
Not sure about the active headlights. Will run a test this evening.
Have you checked out them headlights yet???? Was wondering the build date of your ride....
Old 01-27-2004, 09:04 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
Skipper -

You can't have a heated wood steering wheel. I have a 2004 SL500 on the way. I got the heated wheel, but skipped the wood for that reason.

The MB site prevents you from combining the two when you build online - I'd be more pissed at your dealer for trying to order the heated wheel and then switch a wood wheel at the dealership - if it was made to be available in combination, they would be able to do it from the factory; again...MB won't let them order it that way.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:47 AM

Here are the pics of Skippers car:

Old 01-27-2004, 10:52 AM

Olso - Thanks for posting the pictures...I try to get better pictures when and if we ever get some sunhine in CT.

Gunter - You'r right! MBUSA confirmed wood wheels DO NOT have the heating element. My dealer will reimburse me the $410 I had paid for the heating option.

I do have the non wood wheel that came with the car which has the heating function, but I personally prefer the looks of the wood wheel and what it does to add to the appearance of the interior.

I'll just get a pair of gloves for my heating option
Old 01-27-2004, 02:01 PM

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by Gunther
Skipper -

You can't have a heated wood steering wheel. I have a 2004 SL500 on the way. I got the heated wheel, but skipped the wood for that reason.

The MB site prevents you from combining the two when you build online - I'd be more pissed at your dealer for trying to order the heated wheel and then switch a wood wheel at the dealership - if it was made to be available in combination, they would be able to do it from the factory; again...MB won't let them order it that way.
Wrong, you definitely can, I have it on my car (E500 not SL500)....and it works, but is not that useful, because as mentioned, only the non-wood part is heated, and that is minimal on the wood leather wheel. Also, you don't really feel the heat, but on a colder day, when the wheel is colder, you can feel it.

It should be easy to tell because you have the little knob to turn on the heated wheel on the left side of the steering wheel under the wiper control.

Last edited by abhansali; 01-27-2004 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:50 PM

2016 E400 4-Matic Coupe, 2002 Chev 2500 HD Crew, 1983 Porsche 911SC,
Skipper,

I have the exact same 4 matic color combo car in the 320 version. Very nice!! I see by your pics and your location that a heated wheel would be beneficial. I must say, since I was in the same predicament as you (wood wheel versus heated wheel) I am glad I chose the heated version over the wood wheel. No doubt, the wood wheel is absolutely gorgeous, and your pics reconfirm it, but that heat.... oh what a treat! I jump in my leather wheeled truck on these cold winter days, and boy do I miss the heated wheel option my MB car has.

Perhaps you could keep both wheels and change them out seasonally? I pull my P car wheel off occasionally when I am doing any under dash work, just to give myself more clearance to work with. I just bought the correct socket / drive assy. and it's off in minutes. Just a thought to have the best of both worlds.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Have you checked out them headlights yet???? Was wondering the build date of your ride....
I'm clueless. I tried the test (parking in front of the garage at night) and the lights seem to go up and down but not sure if they turn sideways. Staring at them for awhile them seem to edge a little to the right and left...I don't know for sure. Like I said I'm clueless at this point
Old 01-27-2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by skipper
I'm clueless. I tried the test (parking in front of the garage at night) and the lights seem to go up and down but not sure if they turn sideways. Staring at them for awhile them seem to edge a little to the right and left...I don't know for sure. Like I said I'm clueless at this point
You don't have to stare. It's very easy to see they flipping up-down. and left-right. If you don't clearly see that movement, it's not installed.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:59 PM

10000_lakes,

Not a bad sugesstion since I also own the non wood heated wheel. I guess I can have the best of both worlds as long as it's not too much of a hassle changing the wheels. Sorta reminds me of snowtire season changing.

Like you I really love this color combination. After owning two Black cars the Silver is a nice change of pace. Also, this color will be easier to keep clean.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:52 PM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Skipper,

Your experience seems to be like so many other folks. The sales folks are getting to wear the plaid pants and act like they should be selling 5 year old Camero and Firebirds! They will say anything that they think the customer wants to hear to close the deal. Is it any wonder that customers are not happy with the sales experience. I don't think any marque is immune to these sales tactics - except maybe Maybach, Bently or Rolls. It has gotten to the point where the customer must be the most informed and lead the sales staff through their work. We should be the ones getting their commission as a discount and the sales person should be on salary as an order writer.

BTW - Congratulations on the new ride. I hope you will enjoy yours as much as we do ours.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Oslo
You don't have to stare. It's very easy to see they flipping up-down. and left-right. If you don't clearly see that movement, it's not installed.
Oslo you are correct. I ran the test a few minutes ago and the lights just go up. They don't move down, left or right. I guess it was wishful thinking on my part.

However, these lights are a hugh improvement from the ones I had on my old E-320 so I have nothing to really complain about expept MB should not put in print or announce features it can't deliver.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:33 PM

2003 E320
Your new car is beautiful, skipper! Enjoy!!!
Old 01-27-2004, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Skipper....
Thanks for your efforts in finding out about the active headlights.... Sorry to hear you don't have them as I understand they are awesome..... Would you mind posting the build date of that fine automobile of yours for my notes???? As you may or may not know I re-ordered my e500 when I found out the car was not coming equipted with the active feature... This info will help me determine the date when in fact they started installing this feature for us in the U.S market..... Thanks for your time....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally!