E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Yet another W211 with a SBC failure

Old 02-17-2016, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Originally Posted by kajtek1
IMHO when somebody has commercial interest on the forum, yet he pose as fellow MB enthusiast, he is the moron.
Professional repairman will always have different principals and different tools to work with.
I don't work in car repair, but in home repair and I am not taking chances with substandard materials becouse it makes no economical sense to me.
Car DIY on other hand is totally different story. I don't mind redo the job 2-3 times to avoid spending $500 for OEM part.
Doubt even cheap indy would go for that.
At least your teacher has a foot note spamming with his DAS system. You pose for someone who you are not at all.
And you really think i'm going to let someone who doesn't even work on cars get me worked up? Let alone someone who has no issue doing the same repair 3 times. Nice try spam-bot.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DDScott72
I don't, but I have common sense and I am very familiar with car repair. MB is a little different but fundamentally the same. Those technicians they have working there don't attend MIT and barely have HS diplomas. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I'm starting to realize MB services are overkill. I can tear up my own car. Its paid for. Its all trial and error no different than at the stealership. They misdiagnose cars all the time with there fancy equipment. I'm going to give it a try. My brakes are already hazardous as a result of defective craftsmanship, so what do I have to lose. MB allows people to drive off there lot daily because they cant afford to have repairs done. You dont see them offering free repairs. People have to do whats best for them. I dont have any confidence in MB doing right by me. They just care about making the sale and getting that commission.
All of this is true and you couldn't be more right, about how poorly techs mis diagnose peoples cars. People who usually dislike the dealership routine usually either have a shytty dealership, and or a awful service advisor or both! No one said take your car to a stealership and only get repairs done there. Who and where you get your car worked on is your business, but don't get bitter and salty when a individual speaks the truth and you don't like it (mb diag equipment needed) you can trial and error all you want. Like you said, cars paid off. Do as you please, remember 1 thing, sbc aint getting fixed no where without mb diag equipment!
Old 02-17-2016, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by cmriv
sbc aint getting fixed no where without mb diag equipment!
What did you do on your mechanics classes?
SBC is mechanical device like other parts on the car.
For liability reasons owners are not allowed DIY , but most of DIY replaced motor brushes before.
Hydraulic unit rebuild might be higher on skill level, but lot of DIY worked on complicated hydraulics or air systems on those cars.
So no scanner needed for fixing SBC.
The only point the scanner is needed is reprogramming the counter.
End of the story.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
For liability reasons owners are not allowed DIY , but most of DIY replaced motor brushes before.
Hydraulic unit rebuild might be higher on skill level, but lot of DIY worked on complicated hydraulics or air systems on those cars.
End of the story.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe stick to home repair! But good luck in SBC repair without DAS
Old 02-17-2016, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
I don't, but I have common sense and I am very familiar with car repair. MB is a little different but fundamentally the same. Those technicians they have working there don't attend MIT and barely have HS diplomas. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I'm starting to realize MB services are overkill. I can tear up my own car. Its paid for. Its all trial and error no different than at the stealership. They misdiagnose cars all the time with there fancy equipment. I'm going to give it a try. My brakes are already hazardous as a result of defective craftsmanship, so what do I have to lose. MB allows people to drive off there lot daily because they cant afford to have repairs done. You dont see them offering free repairs. People have to do whats best for them. I dont have any confidence in MB doing right by me. They just care about making the sale and getting that commission.
As an owner of a car with the SBC brakes (a 2005 E320 CDI) and an avid home mechanic who loathes allowing another man's wrench to touch my car, I'm looking forward to reading how you were able to bleed the entire brake system after completing the mechanical work without the MB equipment. Please keep us updated.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:49 PM

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Well this thread blew up, in a good way alot of information. I am here to say that I finished. No more light no more error everything working as it should. I am good to go. I will do a write up because I believe a lot of people will want this information. In the end it cost me $1250 for the Dell D630, Mercedes Multiplexer C3, motive bleeder black edition, brake fluid, and last the SBC. So it can be done at home with research and the forms. Anyway you have to have the Mercedes Star C3, C4, or C5 to do this this can not be done without the Multiplexer. Now I own a fully working multiplexer. I am going to celebrate by buying some of those Japanese metal door pins I have herd a lot about.

Last edited by CDIJeff; 02-17-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec

$1250 and you get to keep the toys sounds like a great deal! Looking forward to your write-up.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:31 PM

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation

$1250 and you get to keep the toys sounds like a great deal! Looking forward to your write-up.
Rushed it to get it out.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post6711211
Old 02-18-2016, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
Well done!
Old 02-18-2016, 01:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Here are the exact fault codes from MB C2131, C26BB, C26DE, C25D4. Thanks in advance...
As some less experienced will have you believe these faults are not generic and very difficult to ascertain correctly without access to DAS Xentry----that being said C2131-relates to the fault in the pressure reservoir and the only remedy in DAS is to replace the reservoir---C26DE-relates to a hydraulic fault in pressure supply--the remedy is inspect the break system for air-C26BB relates to a hydraulic fault-malfunction in pressure supply-there is a long list of remedies,however after all said suggest replace the SBC unit--C25D4 a hydraulics fault-no or insufficient pressure supply--remedy--check the system for air

Your only limitation with this job is that you do not have DAS Xentry to guide you in the removal of the faults and the safe removal of the SBC unit---simply be careful

Last edited by Plutoe; 02-18-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What did you do on your mechanics classes?
End of the story.
Bob vila, anyone can sheet rock and hang crown molding, however you aren't de-activating, bleeding, checking for leaks, ect without mb diag equipment. Keep in mind, you have no issue doing the same job 3 times. Other people however prefer to be safe and do the job once and also not have fault codes after the job is done. So yes, I"m sure you can rebuild build a sbc unit "Bob Vila" but you'll be doing it 3 times, as you wish, and doing the repair incorrectly.

Originally Posted by Russell Ormerod
End of the story.
Maybe stick to home repair! But good luck in SBC repair without DAS[/QUOTE]

right?!

As an owner of a car with the SBC brakes (a 2005 E320 CDI) and an avid home mechanic who loathes allowing another man's wrench to touch my car, I'm looking forward to reading how you were able to bleed the entire brake system after completing the mechanical work without the MB equipment. Please keep us updated.
Preach....

Originally Posted by CDIJeff
Well this thread blew up, in a good way alot of information. I am here to say that I finished. No more light no more error everything working as it should. I am good to go. I will do a write up because I believe a lot of people will want this information. In the end it cost me $1250 for the Dell D630, Mercedes Multiplexer C3, motive bleeder black edition, brake fluid, and last the SBC. So it can be done at home with research and the forms. Anyway you have to have the Mercedes Star C3, C4, or C5 to do this this can not be done without the Multiplexer. Now I own a fully working multiplexer. I am going to celebrate by buying some of those Japanese metal door pins I have herd a lot about.

Props! Look at you, a certified Tech now jkjk

You get what you pay for and i agree! good deal considering he can use it on his car until further notice.

Originally Posted by Plutoe
As some less experienced will have you believe these faults are not generic and very difficult to ascertain correctly without access to DAS Xentry----that being said C2131-relates to the fault in the pressure reservoir and the only remedy in DAS is to replace the reservoir---C26DE-relates to a hydraulic fault in pressure supply--the remedy is inspect the break system for air-C26BB relates to a hydraulic fault-malfunction in pressure supply-there is a long list of remedies,however after all said suggest replace the SBC unit--C25D4 a hydraulics fault-no or insufficient pressure supply--remedy--check the system for air

Your only limitation with this job is that you do not have DAS Xentry to guide you in the removal of the faults and the safe removal of the SBC unit---simply be careful
oh but wait, i thought you were a spammer who knew nutiing about product? We are not stuuupid!!!-German voice
Old 02-18-2016, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Old 02-18-2016, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't mind redo the job 2-3 times to avoid spending $500 for OEM part.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a merc
Well CDI Jeff now u setup to do proper diagnosis on your 211.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
W211 320CDI -04, W210 270CDI -01
Couple of pictures inside the unit (just if you are interested, never mind the language )
http://mersuforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143177
Old 02-20-2022, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes 320 E 2004
i'm in the same situation, i got another warning while starting my car in front of the office, after i paid 1800$ , 3years back and changed the pump and many things.
i'm really afraid since i do not know when it will happen again.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E280 W211
Originally Posted by nysmith
The SBC pump on my 2003 E320 has failed. This issue is well documented on these boards, so I won't go into the nitty gritty details.

But for the record, for those of you who believe MBUSA's BS line about "In the back-up mode, the driver has braking power sufficient to stop the vehicle" - it is an outright lie. There is NO braking power. My husband is over 200lbs. He was standing on the brake pedal, the car did not slow down at all. I am shocked no one has died from this, but maybe someone has and we just don't know - once you turn the car off, and on again, the errors completely disappear from the dash and the brakes work beautifully. I cannot believe MBUSA has been able to sweep this under the rug and the NHTSA sits around while complaint after complaint is submitted to their website.

Anyway, the dealer wants ~$2300 to replace it (How did some of you get away with as low as $1600?) For those of you who have had the unit replaced, have any of you experienced a failure again? I have not gotten a straight answer from my SA on how the replacement unit is better than the one it is replacing. I'm not sure I feel safe loading my family into this car anymore (Heck, I don't feel safe being on the road or crossing a street with another W211 around anymore!)

The car is only worth about $6K, putting $2300 into seems hefty. I wasn't planning on buying a new car this year - it's a fantastic car with no issue other wise - but the lack of safety scares me, and wonder if I should trade it in and be done with... (Assuming the dealership even gives me what it's worth - I could never sell this car independently with sound mind.)

By the sounds of it, I would say that you need to replace the accumulator and do a brake fluid flush. That should be it.
The accumulator is a "consumable" item and if your SBC is still "working" then replacing only the accumulator should be fine. They are available for around $150.00. I wouldn't pay MB the $2300 to replace it as they will be replacing it with a rebuilt unit. These are NOT manufactured anymore, and all available units are refurbished.

If you want, send me a photo of the yellow sticker on the SBC with the serial numbers and another of the accumulator and I will forward you a link to the part you need.