How Many Have A Front License Plate Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build date 2-04 E500
Thumbs down How Many Have A Front License Plate Installed

Here in california its the law to have a front plate installed on your car but I personaly feel you lose that sano look to your front end.... I called my dealer to see if they would not drill the front bumper for the plate and he readily agreed... This is the first car I'm going to own that I feel warrants this action, so its never been an issue. Does anyone else feel this way and have you ever been hastled by the law for not having a front plate provided your in a state that requires one???
Old 02-15-2004, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
since were in san diego, its the same law, i personally didnt want to put anything on, i agree with you, but my family did because it is a personalized plate, so it makes sene in our situation. the dealer we got our car from doesnt even bother to drill holes, and put the bracket there, they leave it out.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:54 PM

2013 S550
Texas requires a front license plate also, but I've been able to get by without it. I had my first E500 with the plates on the front, but decided against it with this one. It looks MUCH better without one.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:10 PM

2013 GL550
Illinois requires a front plate but I have not had one on my last two cars. No problems so far. I was stopped for speeding in my S4 and the trooper either didn't notice or didn't care that my plate was missing. On the E the license bracket looks like an afterthought, not well integrated into the front end. Good luck with yours!!

Bruce
Old 02-15-2004, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
Althought i have a strong dislike for puting on ym front license plate, i do anyways because the damn meter maids here in santa monica can give you two tickets when your over on the meter or the lovely street cleaning and they dont hesitate to give you another for a license plate. Ive heard of meter maids giving no license plate tix even if your meter is okay.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
i think its kind of good to have the law though, because some stop lights have cameras, and i believe they only take a pic of your front license plate, so ppl can see a initiative to speed thru if the cops dont know who to send the ticket too.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Yes, it is the law in Texas to display a front license plate. The police in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area are now targeting Corvettes and other cars that don't have a front plate. The fine imposed is $200! I asked my dealer if he would not install the front plate holder and he said that they could be fined if they didn't install the front plate. I personally don't like the look of the front holder and plate but I like the look a lot better than writing a check to some municipality for $200.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
$200.00!!!! I guess their right when they say "everything is bigger in texas ".... My dealer has no problem at all not installing the plate and requires no liability paper work to be signed by me either... As a matter of fact he stated he and others at the dealership run with no plate in the front as well..... I'm told by him that if infact you do get busted for it the fine is only $25.00 here in cali.... A small price to be cool....

Last edited by HELL ONA HARLEY; 02-15-2004 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Nope, no front license plate in Florida!
Old 02-15-2004, 08:33 PM

13 E550 Cabriolet/19 SL550
I put the front plate on my E500 but I did not on my SL500. I got busted in La Jolla 4 months ago in the SL500 and got a $77 ticket for not having the front plate.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Here is my thing. I don't put on the front or the back. I just like the clean look. So I will never put them on. I will pay the $15 fix-it ticket 100 times if I have to. Already the fasttrack savings are paying for all the fix-it tickets I might get.

I got pulled over for it a couple of weeks ago and just told the guy the car is new and the DMV still has not sent me the plates. He Said "Nice Car" and let me go.

Easy as that.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:50 PM

2007 E63, 2007 BMW 335i Coupe & 1991 Honda Accord
I didn't have a front plate on my previous MB and opted not to install it on the E. I am taking a chance and have been lucky so far.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:50 PM

What is fastrack? Is that the express lane where you have to have two or more persons? How does not having the plate result in savings, is it photo monitored?
Old 02-16-2004, 01:27 AM

'11 E63 (back up '01 E430)
Originally posted by FIXEDupW209
Althought i have a strong dislike for puting on ym front license plate, i do anyways because the damn meter maids here in santa monica can give you two tickets when your over on the meter or the lovely street cleaning and they dont hesitate to give you another for a license plate. Ive heard of meter maids giving no license plate tix even if your meter is okay.
Never had any plates from the day I bought my car (2001), then it happened to me in Downtown L.A. (2002) expired meter & no lic. plates ticket!
But that was the 1st and hopefully the last. To this day no front plates on my car.
South Orange County has tons of cars without front plates, and basically you just end up blending with the rest of the crowd.
Originally posted by johnroden
I put the front plate on my E500 but I did not on my SL500. I got busted in La Jolla 4 months ago in the SL500 and got a $77 ticket for not having the front plate.
were you originally getting pulled over for another reason? Or just “no front plate” ticket only?
Originally posted by trezaei
Here is my thing. I don't put on the front or the back. I just like the clean look….
come to think of it, you can actually get away with not putting any plates and saying it was just new and still waiting for DMV to send plates, but how long u planning to do that? (just wondering)
Originally posted by trezaei
….I got pulled over for it a couple of weeks ago and just told the guy the car is new and the DMV still has not sent me the plates. He Said "Nice Car" and let me go.
Easy as that.
When?
Originally posted by Mercedesfan
What is fastrack? Is that the express lane where you have to have two or more persons? How does not having the plate result in savings, is it photo monitored?
it’s an express lane where you have to have 2 or more persons, BUT you have to be a subscriber of the service to be able to use the lane. There’s a device u place inside ur car that charges you every time you pass a sensor, if no device is detected then a camera automatically takes a picture of your plates then send u the fine in the mail. ($1.50-$2.50 per pass depends on the time of day and the day of the week)
BUT if there’s 3 or more passangers, then its FREE (u still need the sensor).

here's the company's spill: http://www.91expresslanes.com/virtdrive.html

can u believe that, they’re actually trying to sell this crap.
sometimes i still see those lanes crowded!

Last edited by em2023; 02-16-2004 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:33 AM

E500
No plate in Cali

Im in the Bay Area.. and after owning over 6 modified Benzs, I have had a front plate on only one. If gotten hassled maybe a total of 3 times in the last 5 yrs. Most of the time I just say that the car is pretty new and the dealer didnt put one on and I didnt know I had to. Usually that works, but I did get a fix it ticket on it once, he claimed my CLK was too low and didnt have a front plate. I had a cop buddy write it off, fine was like $85. I think it depends on the way your car looks. Mine has dark tint all the way around, I think Id attract a lil more attention than a car that looked stock.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:05 AM

'06 SL65
My first car in '91 I never had a front license plate. I had a '91 Supra Turbo then and I was pulled over for the rear "clear" license plate cover but the cop never bothered to look in the front (just when I was about to pull into my highschool). Only gave me a citation for the plastic clear cover (didn't know that a clear cover was also illegal). Had my '98 Vette from late '97 until summer of '03 and cops never hassled without my front plates. A cop friend of mine who has 30% tint on all his cars and no front plates (kind of ironic) said usually if you have a nice car they won't hassle you with no front plates or tinted windows (also illegal in IL).

Some IL Rep is trying to pass a law for "Corvette" owners to purchase a special license plate that will allow no front license plates:

http://www.legis.state.il.us/legisla...27&SessionID=3

Wish it was also for Benz. Bruce....do you know any State Reps
Old 02-16-2004, 10:18 AM

2013 GL550
Hmmm...... - my sister-in-law is the office mgr for Dan Cronin - state sentator from the Elmhurst area.

Don't know if I want to use a "favor" for a front plate issue. You never know when I might need some more serious favor!!

Bruce
Old 02-16-2004, 11:48 AM

2007 E63, 2015 Tesla, 2013 911S Cab
This is funny - my dealer made me sign a release saying they are not installing the front bracket. It must be a common request and they must get pressure from the state to put it on.

Eric
Old 02-16-2004, 12:02 PM

2006 Acura RL
I haven't had a plate on my last 3 cars. I got pulled over (for speeding, not for the plate ) a while back and the cop mentioned the plate. I told him it got ripped off in a car wash last week and I had not had time to reinstall it. I showed him the plate in the trunk. He just said "okay, well get it back on when you get a chance." and went on to write me a speeding ticket.

Just carry the plate with you in the trunk and you can usually wiggle out of any plate issues.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:08 AM
Almost a Member!

I'm in LA county in California and don't have a front plate on either. Here's the deal, if you are in the city of LA, the parking enforcement is now entitled to give fix it tickets for any car parked on the public street without a front license plate (no need to have a parking violation along with the citation). I know this is also the case for a few local city police departments. There's an effort by government agencies to enforce the front plate law because of all the photo enforcement intersections. It's a risk you take to keep it off, but in most cities it's still a fix it ticket that doesn't run more than $15 unless you get written up for some other offense or are a repeat offender.

There is a way to mount the front plate by drilling into the bottom of the front bumper. All you need is a 90 degree bracket from home depot. I've had this done on all my past cars and it works fine. Upon resale, no one sees the holes. This however, does not solve the issue of asthetics.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
I have a brabus front spoiler so don't want to drill a hole to my bumper... i don't have a front license plate......... this is a stupid law i think..
Old 02-17-2004, 02:14 PM

E500
I got pulled over twice and cited for not having the plates. $110 US Dollars each time. Then, I put it on, I got use to it.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 White on Stone E320
Dealer at BMW and Mercedes both asked whether we wanted the front plates on. I got too many fix it tickets for stupid stuff like that on my older car so we just put it on. My parents could care less about appearances.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:51 AM

2003 E320
I have my plate on in the front. I think it looks fine. The bracket mount has a nice custom fit look.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:14 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
I don't have one- Only stopped once in years over it. I realize that some communities are getting stricter because of the camera monitored intersections. I am ok with the law enforcement angle- just ruins the appearance of my car. Whyt can they not develop a tag like we use for toll highways that would trip the sensors if we run a red light ? I guess even that could go to far into "Big Brother"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Many Have A Front License Plate Installed