E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Satellite Radio Info & ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Satellite Radio Info & ?

Just rec'd info today from an installation supplier for satellite radio. He did some investigating & was advised that the unit to install in the trunk will not be avail. for at least a yr. XM Radio is going to be purchasing Sirius so therefore everything is on hold. We have XM Radio in another vehicle & have the added radio - it is a neat system. Would like to be able to get something in our wk old E320 BUT we definately don't want to ruin the aesthetics - so how can we accomplish? We thought perhaps putting it where the cigarette lighter is hidden - think this would work if that lighter wasn't there - anyway to remove w/o damaging anything? Our other thought was in glove box but seems like drawbacks for changing stations. Any & all ideas welcome. Seems really silly & stupid that we can't get the trunk unit to operate on the radio like it should. Aggravating actually.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:33 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Re: Satellite Radio Info & ?

Originally posted by pewter
Just rec'd info today from an installation supplier for satellite radio. He did some investigating & was advised that the unit to install in the trunk will not be avail. for at least a yr. XM Radio is going to be purchasing Sirius so therefore everything is on hold. We have XM Radio in another vehicle & have the added radio - it is a neat system. Would like to be able to get something in our wk old E320 BUT we definately don't want to ruin the aesthetics - so how can we accomplish? We thought perhaps putting it where the cigarette lighter is hidden - think this would work if that lighter wasn't there - anyway to remove w/o damaging anything? Our other thought was in glove box but seems like drawbacks for changing stations. Any & all ideas welcome. Seems really silly & stupid that we can't get the trunk unit to operate on the radio like it should. Aggravating actually.
I have XM in my ashtray (E320). The alpine unit fits perfectly. The antenna wire is snaked to the rear and the antenna sits beneath the rear deck, unseen. The only thing removed was the ashtray, which comes out easily. You need an installer who knows installation well. Someone on this forum had the same unit installed in their car and the installer could not figure out how to get it in the ashtray. Their installer called my installer and that unit now sits in the ashtray.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:34 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
What is the source of your information about XM buying Sirius?
Old 02-16-2004, 07:25 PM

E320
Re: Re: Satellite Radio Info & ?

Originally posted by drb
I have XM in my ashtray (E320). The alpine unit fits perfectly. The antenna wire is snaked to the rear and the antenna sits beneath the rear deck, unseen. The only thing removed was the ashtray, which comes out easily. You need an installer who knows installation well. Someone on this forum had the same unit installed in their car and the installer could not figure out how to get it in the ashtray. Their installer called my installer and that unit now sits in the ashtray.
Oh good - there is a solution! Can you share the model # for this unit? Were there any other brands that would work when you were searching?
In regards to your ? it was a salesman at an Installations Dealer. He said that he was told that the two companies were merging.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:30 PM
drb

The alpine model is XMA-T200RF. This is the only model that can be hidden in the ashtray, out of view, until you need to change stations. There is also a remote control, if you prefer that method. All you can see on the command screen is the frequency for XM, 88.7. If you need to see who is playing a song you look at the alpine unit.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

ah... so yet another button on my command system that's useless..... oh well....
Old 02-17-2004, 09:18 PM

2004 E500
****!
Old 02-17-2004, 09:26 PM

2004 S55
When I see some legitimate news source verify the claim, then I'll believe it. As a HT enthusiast, I monitor several boards that have forums for sat radio including a website dedicated exclusively to XM. I haven't come across any rumors of a buyout there and that's where I'd expect to see it first.

The fact is that Sirius is trailing XM and that has been the source of speculation about the future of Sirius. I expect that one company will buy the other at some point but I haven't seen or heard any reliable info to say that it's imminent. On the flip side, I spoke to a local dealership today to put my name on the list for the Sirius option as soon as it is available. They said the latest word they had heard was that the option should be available in late March or early April.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the XM commander in the ash tray, and it fits perfectly. You will need to make a faceplate and have this professionally installed, but it fits and looks great. the control unit fits in the trunk next to the audio gateway.

some details here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=56094
Old 02-25-2004, 10:13 PM

Howdy folks my first post here . . .

The "Sirius Option" that you reference, what exactly is that going to be? Will it be a new MB head unit that can be retrofitted to a 2003 model? Will COMAND be necessary to get Sirius or will you be able to get it with a standard MB stock head unit? I dont want COMAND, but I want Sirius!!! I have it in another vehicle and it is incredible!

I doubt XM will buy Sirius as they are the only two companys the FCC is going to license to broadcast satellite radio and they have said they want a healthy duopoly. Echostar is more likely to buy them . . .
Old 02-25-2004, 10:45 PM

2004 S55
Here's a quote from the original press release about the MB-Sirius deal:

"SIRIUS satellite radio will be available in the fall at Mercedes-Benz dealers nationwide, across all models of C-Class, E-Class, S-Class, M-Class, CL-Class, SL-Class and CLK-class vehicles. Nearly all 2004-model Mercedes- Benz vehicles will be pre-wired in production for the satellite radio system, and the fully integrated audio system will incorporate one new mode button marked "SAT" accessing over 100 channels of commercial-free music and entertainment."

Here's a picture of the option installed and working in a test vehicle provided to us by another board member:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...827#post544827

While there's no official mention of the Sirius option being available for any 2003 models, if I remember right, the 2003 E's also had a blank button that could be replaced with the one reading SAT in the above thread's pictures. So, it may be possible although I don't know for sure. The member who posted in the above thread explains that the installation will include an additional antenna and a box (truck installed I believe) that integrates with current headunits. I don't believe COMAND is required in order to utilize the Sirius option.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
You can check my install out on my website on my C Class. MY SITE I also have a Alpine DVD changer hooked to the system and output to my TV tuner and then to the Comand Screen.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:46 PM

E320
Re: Re: Satellite Radio Info & ?

Originally posted by drb
With this radio does the cover work when not in use? We checked out the price & thought the whole things was going to be high - compared the our regular Delphi XM unit in another car. We did put the Roady unit in but are less than satisfied - especially if you are in a populated area.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:03 PM

CLS63
XM is buying Sirius

where in the world?

They are two completely different technologies. The systems use different statellite orbits and from what i understand one system can't communicate with the other.

Also, you have to ask yourself, if you are XM, why would you buy a compnay that has less than 1/5th of the subscribers you have? Just a good way to screw your share holders and increase operating costs if you ask me. And you don't need more satellites because no matter how many subscribers you have, they all listen to the same signal. no bandwidt capacity issues there.

It's more likely DISH would buy them than XM given the agreement they just signed to air SIRI music.

Anyway, I put Sirius in my car cause i needed the Kenwood FM Modulator to get my Phatbox in my car. I don't have command and dont' have an AUX input, so life sucks. Eitherway i needed a controll unit. I put it in my ashtray and with the ash tray down you'd never be the wiser. Antenna sits on my rear deck. so doesnt' change the cars's profile. reception is fine.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Almost a Member!

e500 4matic
I JUST READ ON AUTOSPIES.COM THAT SIRIUS WAS HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMPATIBILITY WITH BENZ' ( AND BMW) THAT ARE EQUIPPED WITH NAV SYSTEM. CARS BUILT IN 04 ARE PREWIRED AND AVAILABILTY WAS SCHEDULED FOR APRIL.........NOW PUSHED BACK TO FALL 04. OH WELL, I WAITED 9 MONTHS FOR CAR.........
NO TRUTH TO RUMORS OF BUYOUT EITHER, AT LEAST FOR NOW.

BRUCE LAZAR
Old 03-23-2004, 06:02 PM
drb

Re: Re: Re: Satellite Radio Info & ?

Originally posted by pewter
With this radio does the cover work when not in use? We checked out the price & thought the whole things was going to be high - compared the our regular Delphi XM unit in another car. We did put the Roady unit in but are less than satisfied - especially if you are in a populated area.
yes the cover works when not in use.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
The Sirius options is out in a few dealers. It's around 800 bucks plus install. This is on the C class and CLK which is d2b connected. I don't know about the E class which is MODE connected. The tuner sits in the rear trunk right side on c and clk and left side on w211 E class. On C and CLK there is a seperate antenna mounted on the trunk lid which is not too pretty.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
My friend went to a local C Spot drive thingy, and a rep from Sirius was there. Basically he said that the install was possible, and that dealers should have it available more or less now. Have the brochure in my hands. The brochure shows several pictures, some of the E, one of the interior of the E with it in it.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:17 PM

A guy on the SiriusBackstage site posted that he has an installation scheduled for tomorrow(04 CLK). I also saw (thought on this site) that someone has an S scheduled too. My dealer still says the Sirius kits are still not available. He thought June. I have heard so many stories that I am not sure what to believe.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:28 PM

my dealer told me this week that it should be very soon.