Xenon Headlights Adjustment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xenon Headlights Adjustment

Hello,

I am a new member of this forum.

I have recently adquired an e class with avantgarde pack which brings also xenon headlights.

I have constated that the original adjustment is quite low, I mean the reach of the lights, even though is automatic and so, compared with other cars, the headlight doesnt light much.

Does anyone knows if I can manually adjust the headlights, I ve heard in other models that it is just a screw.

I will apreciate any help or direction you can give me.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Re: Xenon Headlights Adjustment

Originally posted by Pablobaamonde
Does anyone knows if I can manually adjust the headlights, I ve heard in other models that it is just a screw.

I will apreciate any help or direction you can give me.
Hi Pablo
The brief answer if you have the 211 is 'No'

You have the Avantgarde which comes with bi-xeon headlights.

""""Models with xeon headlamps do not have a thumbwheel. The headlamp range is adjusted automatically."""""

I am very surprised that the lights need adjusting as they are without doubt the best headlights that I have used. My previous E-class just had xeon headlights and they were good.

If you are not satified with there performance ask the dealer to check them out and if you are still not satisfied. Then ask if you could compare them to another Avantgarde.

Good luck,
John
Old 04-12-2004, 05:30 AM

Thank you John for your help,

I have been doing some researching through the Forum, and found another thread of which I copy this,

"Re: Xenon range
I adjusted mine according to briar's instructions. The adjustment screws are located next to the ominous high voltage warning stickers just behind the headlights.
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by briar
I had to have my bi-xenon’s adjusted after taking delivery.
They were aimed too low and had limited range. After adjustment it was much better.
The bi-xenon’s do have very sharp focus, so there is not much stray light when using low beam, and limits ability to illuminate un-lit overhead signs.
Aiming bi-xenon’s in vertical direction can be achieved using Philips head screw driver. Access is gained through round hole in horizontal sheet metal located above and behind headlight assemblies.
Be careful, to not adjust too high, which would result in blinding others in front.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think this cannot be done in an european model?, the ominous high voltage warning stickers are certainly there. I will try tonight, and I will answer if I dont get and electric shock.

Thanks, Pablo
Old 04-12-2004, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you John for your help,

Originally posted by briar
I had to have my bi-xenon’s adjusted after taking delivery.
Be careful, to not adjust too high, which would result in blinding others in front.

Do you think this cannot be done in an european model?, the ominous high voltage warning stickers are certainly there. I will try tonight, and I will answer if I dont get and electric shock.

Thanks, Pablo
My personal view is to have the lights checked by the dealer. They will have the correct equipment to make sure the lights are correctly set, this check should be free.

No doubt you can adjust the lights BUT you run the very serious risk of dazzling oncoming traffic. These lights are extremely bright and the adjuster wheel has been removed to prevent there accidental raising.

Your headlights should automatically adjust there height adjustment everytime you start the engine. This can be checked by either having someone stand near the front of the car when you start it (the headlights will move down, the back to the centre, even with the lights switched off) Failing that park the vehicle facing a wall, switch your headlights on, then start the engine. The headlights will move down, then back to the centre.

Nice speaking to you,
John
Old 04-12-2004, 08:25 AM
Almost a Member!

E500
I raised my Bi-Xenons a little with a few turns of a screwdriver. Much better illumination and I have had no other drivers flashing me telling me to turn of the brights.

Easy.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:25 PM

04 E500 4MATIC WAGON
Originally posted by Bundy
I raised my Bi-Xenons a little with a few turns of a screwdriver. Much better illumination and I have had no other drivers flashing me telling me to turn of the brights.

Easy.
DITTO !
Old 04-12-2004, 05:40 PM

Thanks John, probably you are right, it is better go to the dealer, the problem is that I rather not quite work hours for such an errand, and I am bound to travel a lot by night, and the former adjustment was quite disturbing, to wait till the next oil change.

Well, it is quite easy, as it was said elsewhere in this forum, there is a hole just near that ominous death menace advert, and with a screwdriver you can raise or low a bit the headlights,

I think i didnt overaised it, and i checked with other car, not to dazzle the oncoming vehicle,

Thanks for your advices,

Pablo
Old 04-12-2004, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, it is quite easy, as it was said elsewhere in this forum, there is a hole just near that ominous death menace advert, and with a screwdriver you can raise or low a bit the headlights,

Thanks for your advice,

Pablo

Hi Pablo,
Thanks very much for your kind remarks.

Take care,
Regards

John
Old 04-12-2004, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Its super easy to adjust the xenon lights. I adjusted mine to be just a little higher, because from the factory they are set so low as to be dangerous. I never ever get flashed. I think its just MB's way to stay away from getting sued.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
So... Can you adjust the lights with them on without being zapped ??? That little sticker has me gun shy......
Old 04-13-2004, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
You won't get zapped there are adjusting knobs right behind the headlights. The inner knob which you will need a good sized philips screwdriver is for the verticle adjustment. The outter knob which needs a good sized regular screwdriver is for horizontal.

I think I did about 2-3 turns up on both sides. I had the lights on shooting at my closed garage door to help me gauge how far it needed to go. BTW the auto leveling isn't effected by the adjustments.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by norb
BTW the auto leveling isn't effected by the adjustments.
Hi Norb,
Reading these posts, you have just addressed my major concern.

By carrying out these adjustments, I take it then, that the Auto-Levelling and pre-checks are not effected?

I have owned Estate cars for many years and it was not unknown for me to carry bags of cement in the back of the car and then when darkness fell I made a very good job of illuminating the sky. With Auto-levelling the problem was over come, and with this new generation of stabilised headlights it is even more difficult to dazzle 'pilots'.

Does your adjusting over-ride this? Or are you just correcting mis-aligned headlights?

Thanks for addressing the problem
John
Old 04-13-2004, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63 AMG
When you adjust the level, the auto leveling will think that is the "0" point at which it will try and keep the lights level. Basically you're setting the "0" level for the system. It is all right to adjust you lights, that's why the knobs are there. Don't be afraid, but just don't go to far up.

Here's a bit of advice, don't bother adjusting the horizontals, just the veritcals.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's a bit of advice, don't bother adjusting the horizontals, just the veritcals.
Thank you very much,

Regards,
John
Old 04-14-2004, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
You won't get zapped there are adjusting knobs right behind the headlights. The inner knob which you will need a good sized philips screwdriver is for the verticle adjustment. The outter knob which needs a good sized regular screwdriver is for horizontal.

I think I did about 2-3 turns up on both sides. I had the lights on shooting at my closed garage door to help me gauge how far it needed to go. BTW the auto leveling isn't effected by the adjustments.
Thanks for the heads-up.... Will play with them this weekend.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:08 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Its super easy to adjust the xenon lights. I adjusted mine to be just a little higher, because from the factory they are set so low as to be dangerous. I never ever get flashed. I think its just MB's way to stay away from getting sued.
To norb and other lighting experts

Can you tell me what kind of spread patterns I should be looking for when I adjust my headlights? (for horizontal)

I noticed my right side was slightly lower and just last night, I raised it a bit to be the same level as my left. Then I noticed two different patterns on the wall. I guess one from each light. Am I suppose to superimpose these two patterns?

Any ideas here>

Thanks in advance
Old 05-18-2004, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
GearHead,

You should see a very wide angle "V" on the wall from each light where the left side is parallel to the ground and the right side should rise at about a 15 degree angle. The distance between the centers of the Vs should be the distance between the headlights. The left sides of the Vs should be the same distance up from the ground. Hope that helps.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
There is a common misconception that the right side light is aimed higher than the left side light. This is because when parked PARALLEL to a wall, the line projected along a wall on the left side will decline slightly or be parallel to the ground; the line projected along a wall on the left side will point slightly up. This is because the raised angle in the beam pattern, and the headlight being at a low level, requires that the light beam rise slightly. This does NOT imply that the headlight is pointing up.

This applies only to left-hand-drive patterns.

-s-
Old 05-18-2004, 03:40 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally posted by JimPurdy
GearHead,

You should see a very wide angle "V" on the wall from each light where the left side is parallel to the ground and the right side should rise at about a 15 degree angle. The distance between the centers of the Vs should be the distance between the headlights. The left sides of the Vs should be the same distance up from the ground. Hope that helps.
Hi Jim

Thanks for the headsup.

I thought I saw a "step image" instead of the "V" for each light. The step goes from left to right and the rise appears to be 100 degree angle from the left side. This image applies to both lights.

I'll try to shine my lights onto the garage door tonight since it is flatter and see whether I can duplicate the "V".

Will report my findings

THANKS AGAIN
Old 05-18-2004, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Originally posted by Bundy

Easy.

Me too.

I thought that the straght ahead illumination was woeful. I had my dealer check them out and they said they were OK. I was having to drive around with Full Beam on almost all the time on country roads.

2.5 turns on each side done the trick and definately no flashing from other road users.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:29 AM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Originally posted by JimPurdy
GearHead,

Hi Jim

Now I see what you meant "V". It is the same "Step Image" I saw.

Thanks....got it leveled on both sides. The only thing that still bothers me is that why the direction of "V" is the same for both left and right lights. I would have thought that the angle of the "V" for the left is directly opposite to the angle of "V" for the right side.

Makes sense???
Old 05-19-2004, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
The "V" rises on the right side in those countries where we drive on the right side of the road to light up the signs further away and not blind the drivers comming the other way. The "V" rises on the left side in countries where they drive on the left side for the same reason. Some of the old round headlights had 2 settings so you could change the pattern in a couple of minutes.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:24 PM

2004 E500 AMG Sport and 2020 GLC300
Headlamp adjustment location

This should help.

Passenger side adjustment screws.

Old 06-24-2004, 11:13 AM
RAD
Banned

2004 E500 4MATIC
Question

There is a common misconception that the right side light is aimed higher than the left side light. This is because when parked PARALLEL to a wall, the line projected along a wall on the left side will decline slightly or be parallel to the ground; the line projected along a wall on the left side will point slightly up. This is because the raised angle in the beam pattern, and the headlight being at a low level, requires that the light beam rise slightly. This does NOT imply that the headlight is pointing up.

This applies only to left-hand-drive patterns.

-s-
Scorchie,

Are you sure about this "misconception"? I have noticed while driving at night that the left low beam is distinctly lower that the right--annoyingly so. So I searched this fine forum and checked my owner's manual (as you and others have recommeded ). Page 124 says "If you drive in countries where vehcles drive on the ohter side of the road than the country where the vehicle is registered, you must have the headlamps modified for symmetrical low beams," implying that the low beams are asymmetrical to begin with. I don't mean to imply that the right headlight is pointing "up," but that the left is most assuredly pointing lower than the right.

This seems like a bit of overengineering on MB's part to me. So as this thread mentions, just a few turns of the screw, right?
Old 06-24-2004, 04:02 PM

2004 E500 AMG Sport and 2020 GLC300
I would consider the original aiming of the low beams on my car dangerously low. After reading this thread, I adjusted them up (CCW) 3 turns. I then went on a trip at night and got a good look at their performance. The lights were pointing up a bit too far, although I did not get flashed by oncoming drivers. I have since moved them down by 1/2 turn but haven't had a chance to check them out.

The light pattern is stepped with an upward angle transistion to the right (____/------). Both lights have identical patterns. The lights should have the low steps at the same level which forms a horizontal line across the field of view. The upper step to the right is to illuminate road signs and roadside hazards. Be careful about having the lightd too high, because they will blind drivers in cars you overtake as well as oncoming drivers.

Last edited by NATS64; 06-24-2004 at 04:05 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Xenon Headlights Adjustment