E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Bluetooth phone integrated to steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500
Bluetooth phone integrated to steering wheel controls

Finally, I have finished the adaptor to allow my Parrot bluetooth handsfree to integrate with the W211 steering wheel controls. I've attached some pictures. The first shows a close up of the finished adaptor:

This one shows the completed wiring before being instaled in the passenger footwell:

The adaptor listens to the CAN for any messages, and if it finds some it switches itself on and also applies power to the Parrot Kit. I did this to avoid having to find a switched 12v feed, in addition to the permanent 12v from the main fuse panel.

Once switched on, it listens for the specific message type from the steering wheel - the message type is the same for all buttons, the message content is a single byte with each of the 8 bits representing a single switch. When a button is pressed, the wheel controller starts sending messages with the bit representing that particular switch set to 1. When the button is released a final message with all bits 0 is sent. I decode these messages and then drive 2 relays to replace the switches on the Parrot Kit.

The end result works really well - at least at the end of one days trial!!!

Last edited by DaveBk; 04-15-2004 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:12 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
davebk,

can you clarify what functions you have implemented with this box? Do you have full integration with the phonebook on the phone so you can use the steering wheel to scroll through the book and dial, or do you just have the ability to call and hang up from the wheel? Also, can you dial from the comand unit keypad?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2015 Tesla, 2013 911S Cab
Dave,

Great to hear it works! Are you going to sell these? If not can you provide schematics and the PCB?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 04-16-2004, 03:15 PM

SL500
abhansali - just simple answer and hang up. Full integration with the phonebook would require a more complete understanding of the CAN and probably MOST networks in the car. I doubt that this would be acheivable without the co-operation of MB.

ethune - I've no plans to sell them- I just don't have the facilities to turn them out in quantity, or provide warrantee / aftercare, but am able to post more technical info if required. I'll probably build a few web pages with the details.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:17 PM

MBenz
DaveBK:

Post the technical info if you don't mind in a website or forum how to make this things works, installation, etc. Don't need warranty and whatsoever, I'm pretty sure all people here will give you some big credits.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:56 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally posted by DaveBk
abhansali - just simple answer and hang up. Full integration with the phonebook would require a more complete understanding of the CAN and probably MOST networks in the car. I doubt that this would be acheivable without the co-operation of MB.
Davebk,

Have you thought of building the box so that it plugs into the V60 cradle instead of connecting the CAN bus? I think the V60 cradle connector interface is probably some sort of USB interface + power and with a USB analyzer easier to understand. Then the box basically becomes a bluetooth to USB "bridge device", and since getting the phonebook from a bluetooth device is a documented interface, all that would be left is to figure out how the V60 transmits it's phonebook and other information to the car at the cradle connector....then you would have full integration and easy installation, just pop it into the v60 cradle.

As lpolo said, if you would post a "how to build one guide", it would be great for others on the forum...

Check out what this guy is doing also...www.mikbox.com.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:47 PM

SL500
The only reason I did not go for the Phone cradle integration option was that I have not got one... I decided not to include one in my order as in the UK they only support Nokia, cost c.£500 and do not support bluetooth.

Looks like MIK BOX is doing an excellent job though.

Will put up a web page with details of my project shortly.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:57 PM

SL500
The only reason I did not go for the Phone cradle integration option was that I have not got one... I decided not to include one in my order as in the UK they only support Nokia, cost c.£500 and do not support bluetooth.

Looks like MIK BOX is doing an excellent job though.

Will put up a web page with details of my project shortly.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:14 PM

SL500
OK, here's the link to the site - not pretty I'm afraid

Steering Wheel Interface

but most of the content is there.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:52 PM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
Amazing! Thanks.