E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Can a faulty central gateway cause a battery drain?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a faulty central gateway cause a battery drain?

Can a faulty central gateway cause a battery drain? Have an 03 e500. Rear sam has already been replaced. Airmatic won't air up on all 4 wheels, red visit workshop, audio gateway is causing a drain, 2 brand new batteries main and aux, power seats are unplugged and memory seat fuses pulled etc. Already tried all the main "could bes". The car is basically acting up in all areas. And being as the central gateway is the brains of the electrical system, I can only assume that's probably the case. will update this by the weekemd either way as I finally caved and bought star but it hasn' been delivered yet. Im also going to test the relays. I'm just trying to receive any helpful input I can before I tackle it again this weekend. Thanks in advance for any helpful info
Old 02-08-2018, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 973 Likes on 757 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Yes.
This was covered in a thread one to two weeks ago.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
I have never had a cgw fail, check it properly and you won't need to throw parts at it. Hint: firstly check if the Bus goes to sleep!
Old 10-20-2020, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
longshot but wondering if anybody ever figured this out, it looks like its either my airmatic control unit or my central gateway...
Old 11-04-2020, 07:04 AM

Gl450
Originally Posted by ctravis595
longshot but wondering if anybody ever figured this out, it looks like its either my airmatic control unit or my central gateway...
We just found water under our drivers seat, we took the central gateway module out, opened the plastic case and we are cleaning the little bit of corrosion we found on the board with wd40 electric contact cleaner and we will see if it works. I've read other stories where it has so I'm hopeful.
ours is causing problems like no wipers, signals, automatic not working correct, fan on high . I'll update this later, if it doesn't work we will be sending the module in to be repaired
Old 11-04-2020, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Originally Posted by Wc81
We just found water under our drivers seat, we took the central gateway module out, opened the plastic case and we are cleaning the little bit of corrosion we found on the board with wd40 electric contact cleaner and we will see if it works. I've read other stories where it has so I'm hopeful.
ours is causing problems like no wipers, signals, automatic not working correct, fan on high . I'll update this later, if it doesn't work we will be sending the module in to be repaired
thank you for replying, I forgot to follow up otherwise

I replaced the central gateway module with a $25 used unit with the same part number from eBay. And all of the sudden I had communication with many modules that I did not communicate with before

the central gateway is not a perfect match, it left me with a “sos malfunction” warning on the dash. Which means I will have to re-code the central gateway to my cars options and features

I opened the central gateway itself and found lots of corrosion in one spot on the board, tried cleaning the board but no luck

I have also noticed some damp ness on my passenger floor(US car) , so looks like I will be pulling the seats out to do a proper inspection under the carpets for corrosion and will see what can be done from there
Old 11-08-2020, 05:23 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (SOLD); 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
Audio Gateway turned out to be source of my battery drainage. An amp clamp on negative terminal of main battery where BCM is located determined amp draw to drop out completely once Audio Gateway was unplugged. I replaced head unit with a Sony AVX5000 capable of running Android Auto, back-up camera & will replace all speakers & amp next. The battery had been draining to 11.2 volts after about 3 days but once Audio Gateway disconnected, battery has been maintaining 12.3 volts for several days now.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:02 PM

2010 GL450
Originally Posted by Wc81
I have the same problem. Can you please let me know how you were able to fix yours?