Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 05:31 AM
RLN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes benz E350 4 Matic
Question Blown Coil Chip in ECM

2007 E350 4 matic

I sent my ECM off to be repaired and was told Coil Control Chip has blown . Can someone tell me what will blow this before i put a new ECM on ?
Old 03-09-2018, 07:01 AM
RLN

My expectations are to fix the misfire the car is having . the Code PO304 , PO306 .A mechanic replaced 3 coils and plugs and it did good for a while and the car started acting like it needed a tune up. I had the 3 last 3 coils replaced and the only thing that seemed left was the ECM . I sent it in to be repaired and I was told the Coil Control Chip in the ECM had blown.

Before I have it installed again I was asking if there is something I need to check to make sure it doesn't happen again.
I had Bosh coils installed and I'm not sure what the other 3 coils are from the first mechanic.

Last edited by RLN; 03-10-2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: my reponse
Old 03-14-2018, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
what is the cars issue? Misfires? Has the correct diagnosis been done to come up with a solution or are we just throwing/hanging parts?
Old 03-14-2018, 06:49 PM
RLN

Unhappy

Originally Posted by cmriv
what is the cars issue? Misfires? Has the correct diagnosis been done to come up with a solution or are we just throwing/hanging parts?
The car is having misfire issues . I scanned for codes and I got P0306 . I had the car serviced and he replaced 3 coils and plugs and it did ok for a while and I had to take it back because it was running like it needed a tune up again. He did compression test and said it was ok but he needed to replace the intake manifold. I picked the car up and checked the scan codes myself and it was again P0306 , I didn't get a code saying intake .I purchased 3 Bosh coils for the car and had them installed and not sure what coils he installed but they where not Bosh. So singled it out to be the ECM and I had it taken off and sent it to be repaired . They found the Coil Control Chip had blown and they fixed it and sent it back to me . I had the ECM installed and started the car and it was acting the same way , I checked the codes again and it was P0304, P0306 . I removed ECM and sent it back to them and they repaired it for free and said that the Coil Control Chip had blown again .

I now have the ECM and I haven't had it installed again because I don't know what is blowing the Coil Control Chip .Could it be the Bosh coils and what ever coils he installed could it be a problem because they are different ? Someone said check the cars grounding , The plugs are new but not sure what type they are . I just need HELP . The mechanic said intake but I had a bad ECM and no intake codes .

Last edited by RLN; 03-14-2018 at 06:53 PM. Reason: wording
Old 03-15-2018, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes, check grounding strap of coils on cylinder head covers, left and right. IF those are okay, seems to me you have a bad cylinder head..... exhaust valve seats to be exact....
Old 03-16-2018, 06:06 AM
RLN

Originally Posted by cmriv
yes, check grounding strap of coils on cylinder head covers, left and right. IF those are okay, seems to me you have a bad cylinder head..... exhaust valve seats to be exact....
exhaust valve seats , are they expensive to repair? What about the intake that I was told needed to be replaced?
Old 03-16-2018, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

YES! It may be more cost effective to replace entire head instead of rebuilding the head. idk know, you'd have to crunch some numbers.

if the vacuum diaphragms for the tumble flaps are faulty then replace entire intake. If it's just the tumble flaps that are broken and diaphragms are okay, just do tumble flap repair....
Old 03-18-2018, 04:51 PM
RLN

When I took the car in for service so the same problem they scanned codes and said that they had intake codes and did a compression test on cylinder 6 and there was no leakage test was good and said the intake needed to be replaced. So I got a second opinion and had the codes scanned again and the codes where P0306 there was not a code for the intake. cleared codes and rechecked and still no code for the intake.

Today I had the Denso coils replaced and now have all new Bosh coils , The plugs are NGK Laser Platinum 4288 PLKR7A . Installed ECM and cleared codes and found cylinder 6 misfire . Removed coil and plug from cylinder 6 and it was fouled little wet with fuel . Moved the coil and plug from 6 to cylinder 5 and cleared code and now cylinder 5 and 6 misfire . Plugs are new I'm going to either replace the plugs or clean them . Would the fuel injector on cylinder 6 need to be replaced ? I forgot to mention that when the RPMS are up the check engine light goes out and stays out but once the car idles the check engine light comes back on

Last edited by RLN; 03-30-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 e350 sedan
Vacuum leak, also check the connector to the #6coil I had both issues on my #6 06 e350, the coil connection wires had frayed due to the position THEY sit in so when I removed the coil connection the wire broke inside the housing, so before you go through all the head replacement check you're connectors.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:25 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by RLN

exhaust valve seats , are they expensive to repair? What about the intake that I was told needed to be replaced?
if you had a compression test performed on all cylinders and it was good then its not the head or the valves, and yes a machine shop can replace valves and seats, guides without needing a new head.
if the misfire moved to cylinder #5 then leave the plug in #5 and move the coil to 3 or 4 snd check with your reader. New coils can fail, its under warranty anyway. See youtube videos on bad intake flaps for your vehicle. And move the coil yourself instead of a mechanic unless you can watch him. Do you have your own code reader?
Old 08-06-2020, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E350 4Matic sedan
Same car, 07 e350 4matic, burned tracks on the ECU ignition driver chip 30521 plus so other capacitors . It all started with a misfire in cylinder 1 code P0301 and P0351. The ECU repair shop insisted I fix the underlying problem that damaged the ECU before installing the repaired ECU otherwise they will not fix it for free under the warranty. I read many recommendations to check / fix the ground strap and check all ground connection.... I could not locate the ground strap on the cylinder head covers. A picture will help.

Does anyone have some pictures for the ground strap and other important ground points for the w211 m272 engine for the 2007 e350 4matic? I can't get my car on the road until I check these issues so please help :-(

@RLN, what did you do after you repaired your ECU for the 2nd time?