E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Can I Disable Keyless Go Chime?

Old 05-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I Disable Keyless Go Chime?

Anyone had success getting this done? I really can't stand it anymore, and it causes me to leave my lights on about twice a month. Since there's always a chime on shutdown, the only way you know about your lights is by the dash display -- which I routinely ignore. Mainly, though, it's the unwanted beeping.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:53 PM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
Nope... can't be done, and believe me I've tried. The only consolation is that it does shut itself off after about three minutes.

It's those three minutes that drive ya nuts though.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:56 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
If you can locate the device where the sound is coming from, try to cover it with a small adhesive rubber pad, this will at least muffle the sound to a more acceptable level.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:02 PM

2013 GL550
Hitting one of the menu buttons on the left side of the steering wheel shuts it off while you have a door open. I agree it's annoying but haven't figured out how to shut it up. It is a different beep than the "lights left on" sound, though.

Bruce
Old 05-18-2004, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally posted by RJC
If you can locate the device where the sound is coming from, try to cover it with a small adhesive rubber pad, this will at least muffle the sound to a more acceptable level.
The device the sound comes from is called the instrument cluster. If you take it out of the car, and open it up (well remove the back) you can easily see the beeper. I think just placing rubber over it won't muffle the sound much, because the housing appears to be perforated on more than one side. I have to look at it again.

-s-
Old 05-18-2004, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by EX-BEEMER
Nope... can't be done, and believe me I've tried. The only consolation is that it does shut itself off after about three minutes.

It's those three minutes that drive ya nuts though.
I believe if you version code the cluster to a country other than US/Canada, it will not beep as a key reminder for keyless go.

-s-
Old 05-18-2004, 10:43 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by scorchie
The device the sound comes from is called the instrument cluster. If you take it out of the car, and open it up (well remove the back) you can easily see the beeper. I think just placing rubber over it won't muffle the sound much, because the housing appears to be perforated on more than one side. I have to look at it again.

-s-
The "beeper" is the device I was referring to. Maybe you can cover all sides? What happens if you fill it/encapsulate it in silicone sealant? Are there any wires running to it that can be cut or does it plug into a circut board? Does this thing really make you guy's that nuts

Last edited by RJC; 05-18-2004 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:28 AM

What is the purpose of this chime? On European cars, if you leave the key in the car, and try to lock it, it just wouldn’t lock, and the cluster will turn red, and tell you “The key is left in the car”. There is no chime or belll.

Last edited by Oslo; 05-19-2004 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Oslo
What is the purpose of this chime? On European car, if you leave the key in the car, and try to lock it, it just wouldn’t lock, and the cluster will turn red, and tell you “The key is left in the car”. There is no chime or belll.
The same happens in a US car, except that every time you shut the car off, it reminds you to "Do not forget key" and beep beep beeps.

This beeping is obviously to punish us Americans for the terrible things we release upon the rest of the world. Which is strange, since Americans are just made up of people from all over the rest of the world.

-s-
Old 05-19-2004, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by RJC
The "beeper" is the device I was referring to. Maybe you can cover all sides? What happens if you fill it/encapsulate it in silicone sealant? Are there any wires running to it that can be cut or does it plug into a circut board? Does this thing really make you guy's that nuts
I'll take a picture for you... you can decide.

-s-
Old 05-19-2004, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by scorchie
The same happens in a US car, except that every time you shut the car off, it reminds you to "Do not forget key" and beep beep beeps.

This beeping is obviously to punish us Americans for the terrible things we release upon the rest of the world. Which is strange, since Americans are just made up of people from all over the rest of the world.

-s-
That’s ridicules. What’s next? When you enter the car “Don’t forget to drive”, “Don’t forget your wife”, “Don't forget your wallet”. Beep, beep, beep.

Last edited by Oslo; 05-19-2004 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
ZipCar NYC / Boston
That’s ridicules. What’s next? When you enter the car “Don’t forget to drive”, “Don’t forget your wife”, “Don't forget your wallet”. Beep, beep, beep.
Heh. Funny stuff.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Hahaha..

I said something to that effect before, about MB. About all the warnings, etc.

"WARNING: Next to this sign, there is another warning."

I would pay to get rid of that D*amn beep.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
ZipCar NYC / Boston
Ah the old w210 display (96) had a little "window" icon on it to tell you that there is another error/warning/info message behind the current one. I'm surprised the W211 wouldn't do the same.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Originally posted by Brav

I would pay to get rid of that D*amn beep.
I could disable the beeper for you. Then again, the beeper will not work for anything anymore, such as seatbelt reminder, lights left on, etc.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:17 PM

2012 CL550
I too would pay to have the beep turned off. While I love my car, and find KeylessGo to be a great feature, I would absolutely NOT order it again due to the beeping. I've contacted MBUSA and my dealer about this and was given the standard "we can't do anything about it" routine. Has anyone had success getting their dealer to version code to car to another country's specs? If they changed it to European specs, what else would change?
Old 05-20-2004, 08:26 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Guys/Girls:

I can't believe that the beep is really such an annoyance that some of you would for-go the keyless feature and some have actually removed the instrument cluster to try and stop it of are refusing to buy another new E if it has this feature. I have keyless too and it only beeps for as long as the door is left open in order to enter/exit the car, are you guy's leaving the door/s opened for extended periods of time? What's the deal...nagging wives, IRS issues, PMS???? Come on it's really not that bad :o Go ahead I know some will write back and some will be harsh...I'll just associate it with long periods of beep exposure to your brain.

Last edited by RJC; 05-20-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by RJC
Guys/Girls:

I can't believe that the beep is really such an annoyance that some of you would for-go the keyless feature and some have actually removed the instrument cluster to try and stop it. I have keyless too and it only beeps for as long as the door is left open in order to exit the car, are you guy's leaving the door/s opened for extended periods of time? What's the deal...nagging wives, IRS issues, PMS???? Come on it's really not that bad :o Go ahead I know some will write back and some will be harsh...I'll just associate it with long periods of beep exposure to your brain.
Yes, thats exacly it. One more annoyance that isnt necessary. Everytime I want to yell "MY KEYS ARE IN MY *******G POCKET, CAR!!"
Old 05-20-2004, 09:54 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Brav
Yes, thats exacly it. One more annoyance that isnt necessary. Everytime I want to yell "MY KEYS ARE IN MY *******G POCKET, CAR!!"
LOL! On a more serious note, the beeping should not be there when entering the car, only upon exit. Some folks may have other keys on the same ring as the car key and may not want to keep it in their pocket or may accidentally leave them behind in a purse or briefcase when exiting the car.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by RJC
LOL! On a more serious note, the beeping should not be there when entering the car, only upon exit. Some folks may have other keys on the same ring as the car key and may not want to keep it in their pocket or may accidentally leave them behind in a purse or briefcase when exiting the car.
But you can't lock the car if the key is still inside. Shouldn't that be enough?
Old 05-20-2004, 10:29 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

But you can't lock the car if the key is still inside. Shouldn't that be enough?
Are you saying if you leave the key in the car you can't push the button on the door handle and lock it?
Old 05-20-2004, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by RJC
Are you saying if you leave the key in the car you can't push the button on the door handle and lock it?
You can't on European cars, and according to "scorchie", it's the same with US cars. But you have KG, have you tried it?
Old 05-20-2004, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by RJC
You can't lock the key in the trunk either, unless there is some malfunction.

Read up on Keyless Go, they've engineered coverage for most scenerios into its actions.

And if you still manage to do it, there's TeleAid.

-s-
Old 05-20-2004, 10:52 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

You can't on European cars, and according to "scorchie", it's the same with US cars.
I just tested it and left my key on the driver's seat and a message displays saying " key recognized in car" very cool!
I guess the beep is so you don't leave it behind with the doors unlocked which would make it extremely easy for someone to steal your car, here in the US if you leave your key in the car and its stolen, upon recovery if it's shown there was no "hot" start and the key was used your claim may not be upheld.

Either way don't let the beep get you down...OK?

beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep.... (just kidding)
Old 05-21-2004, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by RJC
I just tested it and left my key on the driver's seat and a message displays saying " key recognized in car" very cool!
I guess the beep is so you don't leave it behind with the doors unlocked which would make it extremely easy for someone to steal your car, here in the US if you leave your key in the car and its stolen, upon recovery if it's shown there was no "hot" start and the key was used your claim may not be upheld.

Either way don't let the beep get you down...OK?

beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep.... (just kidding)

haha.. mine beeps upon entry, at random.. depending on her mood. It really is pointless.. when i forget my keys in the car, it wont lock when i push the lil button, then i grab them. beeping for headlights is ok.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can I Disable Keyless Go Chime?