E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 With Factory Fiber-optic AMP installing aftermarket head unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350 4matic
Arrow W211 With Factory Fiber-optic AMP installing aftermarket head unit

Hi I have a 2006 E-350 4matic. I bought a non-named 7.1 android head unit from amazon. It was supposed to be plug and play. When I got the unit it came with 3 sets of wire harnesses to install with. After removing my factory head unit I found the connection to be a pair of fiber optic cables and 4 wire pin connection in a single plug. None of the wire harnesses that came with the new head unit come close to matching the wire/fiber-optic connection I had with my factory head unit. I have e-mailed the new head unit manufacturer at least 5 times asking for assistance in wiring up the unit, but the four of five word answers they give are of no help. Has anyone out there wired up one of these aftermarket units before?
Old 01-18-2020, 09:24 PM

S500 2006
No power? 2005 S500

Hello all
trying to do what Busflier did. I connected everything as advised to an Erisin unit. Checked voltages with meter. Nothing works. So I have a simple troubleshooting question. With nothing connected if I connect 12v to the yellow and ground cable of my new head unit I should be able to turn it on, CORRECT?
Cos this thing doesn't even turn on. So I don't wanna spend time fixing a defective aftermarket unit.
an additional question would be, can I plug my phone using a headphone to rca Jack into the decoder box and expect the speakers to sing? Yup I've got all the dumb questions.
Someone please answer.
Thanks

Last edited by Kskanna; 01-18-2020 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Car info
Old 01-18-2020, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 716 Likes on 697 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W211 forum...
Old 01-19-2020, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Connect 12v to ignition wire of radio with a good ground and it should turn on. For diag purposes. I used an rca to fiber converter in my 08 retaining factory amp/gateway and it sounds much better than stock. Use your Bluetooth phone abilities with your new radio for calls...
Old 01-19-2020, 02:59 PM

S500 2006
Thanks b2oguy
I did and it doesn't turn on. Was told by seller to connect the acc also to positive. Will do that today to check. And update.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:45 AM

2007 mercedes e350
Originally Posted by Kskanna
Thanks b2oguy
I did and it doesn't turn on. Was told by seller to connect the acc also to positive. Will do that today to check. And update.
were you able to figure this out?
Old 01-27-2020, 10:13 AM

S500 2006
Have given up

I have returned everything. My 2 cents:
1. A new head unit should be checked with s 12v battery prior to any attempt at install. My unit was not powering up when positive, ground and ACC/CAN-L lines were connected.
2. Fiber optic decoder boxes are notoriously unreliable.
3. The correct way to do this is to get an aftermarket amp and connect directly to speakers and eliminate the failing fiber system.
4. A good idea of the speaker wire color coding is needed.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 GL550 ; 2005 Lexus LS430
Has anyone tried the head units from AVINUSA.com? Alot of us from the X164 forum used their unit, and those of use with the Harmon Kardon had to use the MOST fiber optic decoder and it works as it's supposed to.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:32 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by rich30769
Has anyone tried the head units from AVINUSA.com? Alot of us from the X164 forum used their unit, and those of use with the Harmon Kardon had to use the MOST fiber optic decoder and it works as it's supposed to.
the fiber optic decoders I have seen available so far have only 2 analog inputs, so what happens to the left and right rear channels and the sub channel and the center channel? I read somewhere that the Harmon Kardon amp actually has 8 audio channels.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:46 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2014 E550
with the fiber boxes, the system no longer supports fade(front to back), only balance (left to right). but all the speakers still get signal
Old 08-02-2021, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
‘00 w210 E320 & ‘08 w211 E350
What I needed to install aftermarket android 10.1 and get CarPlay

Originally Posted by CastorTroy
with the fiber boxes, the system no longer supports fade(front to back), only balance (left to right). but all the speakers still get signal
Easyget Fiber MOST Optical Optic Loop Bypass Female Adapter For Mercedes Benz, Audi, VW, Porsche
Amazon Amazon

XTRONS Optical Fiber Head Unit Replacement Decoder for Mercedes-Benz CL/CLS/E/S/SL/SLK
Amazon Amazon

Carlinkit USB Wired Carplay Dongle Android Auto,with Android System Version 4.4.2 and Above,Support Google and waze map and Mirror Screen.
Amazon Amazon

almost $200 later…I have a fully functioning 9” touch screen with quality sound and Apple CarPlay.
The following users liked this post:
HJAMES608 (11-20-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 10:44 AM

e350 4matic
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bodsville
Hi I have a 2006 E-350 4matic. I bought a non-named 7.1 android head unit from amazon. It was supposed to be plug and play. When I got the unit it came with 3 sets of wire harnesses to install with. After removing my factory head unit I found the connection to be a pair of fiber optic cables and 4 wire pin connection in a single plug. None of the wire harnesses that came with the new head unit come close to matching the wire/fiber-optic connection I had with my factory head unit. I have e-mailed the new head unit manufacturer at least 5 times asking for assistance in wiring up the unit, but the four of five word answers they give are of no help. Has anyone out there wired up one of these aftermarket units before?
Yeah, it is not all that simple because the unit you have is non fiber so you will first need to obtain an xtronics fiber optic converter box which is then very simple to install and you will have to connect it to the the fiber connector (the one that is not four pins,) then I can guide you on how to connect the rest but it will require splicing and tying wires. The box that you purchase will come with attachments that will make more sense to you because it will match some of the ones on your purchased unit.
Old 12-24-2021, 10:48 AM

e350 4matic
Yes, you can jump the power from the lighter connector, since no one uses those anymore anyway. It is 12V and will power the Unit but you must use your meter to check which are the power wires if they are not clearly marked and for this you will use resistance (ohms) and check for continuity no continuity will provide infinite resistance, while any value means that there is continuity.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E320 4matic
Hi, wondering what headunit you used and how you got around the canbus problems? Does your radio dim when lights turn on and stuff like that?
Old 03-31-2024, 09:30 PM

04 mercedes-benz e320 4matic
I need help I know this is old I installed new xtrons and ran new speakers and new apps why everthing works why would unit reboot when driving
Old 03-31-2024, 09:37 PM

2004 E320 4matic
Originally Posted by Rob E.
I need help I know this is old I installed new xtrons and ran new speakers and new apps why everthing works why would unit reboot when driving
Aftermarket headunit? New Amplifier? Confused what you need help with please add more info about the problem. If your unit is rebooting when driving it could be caused by loose power/ground wiring. If it is boot looping, it could be because you wired into the MOST wakeup line (pink wire) by accident and the stock amp is doing a wakeup call because there are missing components.
Old 03-31-2024, 09:40 PM

2004 E320 4matic
Originally Posted by Carlinkit Carplay
Hi, all

We are Carlinkit Carplay Team.

If you use Carplay and Android Auto in Aftermarket Android Head Unit, you can choose Carlinkit Autokit. It's specially made for Android head units, which is suitable for model system versions above Android 4.4+.

https://carlinkitcarplay.com/product...d-android-auto

It can convert your wired carplay to wireless.
It supports wired&wireless carplay, and wired Android Auto. Just Plug and Play.

If you are interested in this product, don't forget to use the discount code "MBF" to get 18% off.

If you have an Android Headunit this is the best possible purchase you can make. I bought one of these for $50 and it works great. Full apple carplay support. Run your audio through bluetooth on the car, and run the display through the carlinkit that way if the carplay app crashes or has bugs you still have audio. Any problems you have usually are resolved by replugging the unit or turning car off and back on.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:05 AM

04 mercedes-benz e320 4matic
Originally Posted by arnold_spence53
Yeah, it is not all that simple because the unit you have is non fiber so you will first need to obtain an xtronics fiber optic converter box which is then very simple to install and you will have to connect it to the the fiber connector (the one that is not four pins,) then I can guide you on how to connect the rest but it will require splicing and tying wires. The box that you purchase will come with attachments that will make more sense to you because it will match some of the ones on your purchased unit.
yes I did have fiber convertor and worked good till I smoked all speakers because had it to loud. So I redid whole system and ripped out all fiber optic.