E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 wagon coilover kit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211T
Question W211 wagon coilover kit?

Hello there. I drive a 2007 w211 wagon with standard springs in front and airbags in the rear (self levelling) Sags over night but still rise when I start the car so it seems ok to drive. No amg-stuff or sports packages but a standard version Elegance car, but I still find the ride too harsh over smaller bumps and roughness in the road, like on gravel roads. Over bigger speed bumps and stuff the car still behave fine. No loose joints or clonks as far as I know. Dampers seems ok but act way too harsh for my taste. Little too much road noise also coming thru the suspension. My question is if it´s possible to find a comfortable coilover kit for this car or if there is some other improovements that could be done like switching to progressive springs or "softer" springs with bigger sway bars? Anything to make the ride softer and smoother. Any ideas? I´m already on 16" stock wheels.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
w211e200komestate
I got the same sus. but avantgarde which a bit lower than normal due to shorter spring and in my view the standard tire 245/45/17 size with Michelin Primay 3st is quite comfort for me. So in your case on 16 inch rim, you may consider to change the tire to the comfort and quiet type such as mIchelin 4st or yoko decibel 552.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
So you expect that steel suspension will give you softer ride than air suspension?
You have lot of reading to do.
There is no coils for wagons rear period.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by kajtek1
There is no coils for wagons rear period.
Arnott sell a rear coil spring conversion kit for the wagon. And so does strutmaster. I actually looked into this kit for my 04 wagon when I first bought the car. I found 2 owners who had it installed and neither of them was happy. One actually converted back to airbags. The problem with both the Arnott and Strutmaster kits is that they adapt coil springs to the lower control arm designed specifically for airbags. As a result their coil springs are much shorter and harsher than factory coil springs. If you want to do it properly get the factory coil spring lower control arm from a V6 sedan as well as the springs. There's no reason why coil springs can't provide a smooth ride. Keep in mind that the wagon rear end is heavier so it'll sag more than the sedan. You may need spacers or a heavier duty spring. But it has been done before.
My lowered 04 E320 wagon on 16" wheels rides very smoothly on replacement Bilstein airbags and Sachs shocks. The airbags were done by the previous owner and I did the shocks. I suspect some bushings or mounts might be broken on your car. I would get it up on a lift and have everything inspected.

Stamped steel lower control designed for coil spring.

Airbag lower control arm. As you can see it's a very different animal. There's no spring seat in the arm so they have to adapt a spring seat on top of the arm which results in a much shorter harsher spring. It's a daft idea.

Last edited by tjts1; 05-15-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by tjts1
. As a result their coil springs are much shorter and harsher than factory coil springs.
Again, there is not such thing as MB rear springs for wagons.
Obviously as you pointed - you can find stuff to monkey around.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Again, there is not such thing as MB rear springs for wagons.
WRONG
See previous post.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:22 AM

W211T
Originally Posted by pppcguy
I got the same sus. but avantgarde which a bit lower than normal due to shorter spring and in my view the standard tire 245/45/17 size with Michelin Primay 3st is quite comfort for me. So in your case on 16 inch rim, you may consider to change the tire to the comfort and quiet type such as mIchelin 4st or yoko decibel 552.
Actually I´m already on Michelin Primacy 3 tires. Maybe some bushing must be broken under the car then. Have to check again.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:24 AM

W211T
How about "softer" dampers and progressive springs in the front? Any experience?
Old 05-23-2019, 11:48 AM

2005 E320 Base Wagon
Suspension Options

Hello, new to the MB world and looking to redo my suspension on my E320 Base Wagon. If I want to replace the stock suspension springs etc can I just go with the H&R springs. Will I have to purchase a new rear lower control arm?

Thanks....

I'm also going to purchase new bilsteins all around. At least that was the plan.