SOS teleaid will end soon…

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto
SOS teleaid will end soon…

I opted not to renew in February yet just recently an SOS started appearing claiming that teleaid will end soon. I remember a while back that it was mentioned it can be eliminated by the dealer. However I also remember someone posting that it cannot be eliminated because of liability issues. Would like to know what I’m talking about before bringing it up on my next service visit. Scorchie, anyone?
Old 07-16-2004, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by konigstiger
I opted not to renew in February yet just recently an SOS started appearing claiming that teleaid will end soon. I remember a while back that it was mentioned it can be eliminated by the dealer. However I also remember someone posting that it cannot be eliminated because of liability issues. Would like to know what I’m talking about before bringing it up on my next service visit. Scorchie, anyone?
I dunno about any liability issues... but we have a pretty iron-clad disclaimer that gets signed by anyone when we work on their cars. Yes, even iron-clad for California, although technically there are certain consumer rights you cannot give up even by agreement.

But on the technical side, it's very easy to go in with the computer and disable TeleAid (in the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER) which ends all those warning messages. TeleAid still continues to function through the speaker and buttons, it just does not give warning messages through the IC. Since your subscription is over, you can even have it disabled completely.

People have talked about not being able to get rid of the message, or having to have the TeleAid activated before being able to get rid of the error message, or this and that. Nah, just go in with the diagnostic computer and disable it. Works like a charm.

At some point I intend to perform an exorcism on my TeleAid control unit (probably Tuesday as customs has a stranglehold on my crate).

-s-
Old 07-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Excellent, no problem in having it disabled altogether. I can understand the disclaimer though, in light of out of control litigation. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
I know what you're going to do with those parts in that crate.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:16 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Yeah there is a TSB on how disable it. I told my dealer about the nag message and he said there is no way to disable it. "No Fault Found" was on my service list. Whatever..

I hate it, they might as well say, "No telephone installed, No Split folding seats, etc, etc" on my dash when I start my car.. It is annoying..
Old 07-16-2004, 08:35 PM

only amg
sos will end soon

normally when tele-aid is not activated it will give you a 1 malfunction, a simple override, performed at the dealer will eliminate that, driver info center will now read no malfunctions, tele aid could serve a great purpose, as most benz owners know, it is the tracking device for your car, it is the ability to unlock your car if you ever lock your keys in the trunk, or if the valet guy you gave your keys to did not work for the place you wanted to park at, and he steals your car. i agree that 240.00 is a lot of money a year to spend, but in the same sense sh** always happens at the wrong times, and 240.00 bucks is a small price to pay
Old 07-16-2004, 08:40 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
arrgh... my service advisor told me he had no way of disabling that annoying "SOS" Visit workshop blah blah blah...

It's not worth going back to the dealer for though... I'll just wait until service C I guess.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by tntmcj
tele aid could serve a great purpose, as most benz owners know, it is the tracking device for your car, it is the ability to unlock your car if you ever lock your keys in the trunk, or if the valet guy you gave your keys to did not work for the place you wanted to park at, and he steals your car
I understand what you’re saying but it would be nice if they structured their pricing according to a subscriber’s individual needs after the initial term. No major administration costs on their part (other than simple software menu upgrade) and ultimately increasing revenue across the board. Yeah I know it’s only $20 a month but as a consumer I want choices.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:54 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
konigstiger - I would have kept Teleaid if I could have it on a pay per use basis.

As is stands - for 240/yr... not a chance.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by lig
konigstiger - I would have kept Teleaid if I could have it on a pay per use basis.

Old 07-16-2004, 11:39 PM

2003 E-500
I just opted out of my next year. After NEVER having used it in the past 11 months, I went on an extended 2500 mile trip last month and having the letter to renew before I left, I tried Tele aidon numerours attempts on my trip through Nevada, Utah and Colorado. It FAILED TO GIVE ME A CONNECTION ON TEN ATTEMPTS and only connected when I got to Fort Collins, CO and used the SOS emergency button to connect.

Coming back to LA area, I tried it a couple times and got a connection near Las Vegas and north of LA but overall, I found my cell phone MUCH BETTER at giving me contact when I needed it. On one occasion, I saw an accident and wanted to report it using Tele Aid but no good connection. I then reported it on my cell phone using the 911 feature and got connected immediately.

When I called the land line phone number to end my service, I asked the simple question of whether they were using TDMA. CDMA, GSM or analog for connection and the person taking the call had no idea what I was talkiing about. I explained that certain mobile phone formats have better coverage but that comment was over their knowledge base. They did note, I'd tried to connect several times in the previous weeks and got drop offs but offered nothing in the way of compensation for their lowsy service the past year.

I was plannig to renew because of the POTENIAL safety benefit but after my totally unsatisfactory service the past year and obvious lack of coverage in areas where you are MOST LIKELY TO NEED IT, I've dropped it. However, I will always have my own multi format cell phone with me for GOOD coverage and low cost phone calls and forgo the Tele Aid feature on my E-500. By the way, my On-Star coverage in a GM Denali is equally poor in the areas in which Tele Aid didn't work and I dropped it three years ago for the same reason.

Their Tele Aid fine print clearly says it may not work if cell phone coverage is not available; however, it doesn't say that their cell phone coverage is the worst of those available.

The new AT&T GSM coverage appears to be good but it also has some gaps. Do your home work before you decide to use the Tele Aid as your primary means of emergency communication unless you only drive in a major metropolitan area.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I have never used Teleaid since my welcoming phone call. Seems kind of alot for a phone call from them if the air bags are deployed. I don't know what I will do in December. Pressing the "I" button for info on a car's features takes for ever, and all they do is read the manual to you. If I didn't quite understand the manual's presentation, what makes them think reading it to me works any better. Then there are the undocumented "dimmer switch buttons" and their cryptic markings on the rear dome lights that they had no idea what they were.