E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Gallons of Rain Water in Car, Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 07:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2003 W211 E320
Gallons of Rain Water in Car, Electrical Issues

We have had some heavy rains lately and the Benz has been sitting unused . In Fri I found the battery dead, threw a slow charge on it and went to work. When I came home it started right up, I set the clock and it was good.

Today we went to the grocery store, 20 miles there and 20 back. The car did fine going there. On the return trip the radio and A/C cut off and on, the SRS came on, the service brake warning came on, the turn signals got slow. We rolled the windows down and made it home.

I started checking and I had a bunch of water on the drivers floor and rear driver floor. I used the shop vac and must have sucked 5 gallons off the floor. I hooked up the scanner and had a bunch of CANBus errors. The drivers seat wouldn't work, it eventually did. I have the doors open, the battery disconnected, the carpet lifted in the front in the garage. It is humid so drying will not be fast. I will pull it out into the sun tomorrow. I have opened up the wire conduit tray on the drivers floor

The only error I can't clear is 9077 VINs in control module N2/7 Restraint systems control unit and N73 EIS EZS control unit are not identical. Hopefully this will clear when I get all of the connectors dry

First thing is to dry the car, and get things working. Then I need to find the leak. Any suggestions on drying the wiring out, I have a feeling I will need to remove the drivers seat.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-09-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 09:44 PM

2003 W211 E320
Update, I put the dehumidifier in the car, took out the back seat and put a board on the floor and leveled it with blocks of wood. turned that rascal on and it said 78% humidity in the car, set it to 30%. The dehumidifier has a pump so I ran the hose outside.
chassis (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 W209 CLK320
My W209 clk320 have the same issue. code 9077 mismatch of vin between SRS module and EIS. I took it to the dealer, they said the SRS module is corrupt for some reason and the VIN in the SRS module has one digit mismatch (i.e. WDB12345678967y4 instead of WDB1234567896774). Dealer said they cannot reprogram the SRS module since it has already been programmed and suggest replace a new SRS module and the price will be $800 plus labor.

Luckily, a friend of mine has the diagnose tool with coding function and he could 'unlock' the SRS module to a 'new' module then write the correct vin into it. Immediately the SRS light come off and no code stored.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:04 AM

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic
If there was that much water in the car you should consider pulling the seats and carpet so everything can dry properly. The carpet padding will hold moisture for a long time, leading to corrosion of electrical ground points, floorboard rust, and mold. Do you know how the water entered the car in the first place? If it wasn't something obvious like a window or sunroof left open, check to make sure the sunroof drain tubes aren't clogged or broken. Could also be something like a bad door/window seal.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,970 Likes on 3,120 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Sorry to hear about the water. Please post an update after the dehumidification.

Leak candidates:

- sunroof seal
- door aperture seal
- door window seal
- windshield seal

It’s a stretch, but X164/W164 are prone to rear tail lamps leaking and wreaking electrical havoc. It is worth taking a few minutes during the search/diagnosis journey to look at the rear trunk floor and taillamp area. I realize this isn’t the specific leak area you experienced.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:12 PM

2003 W211 E320
I pulled the drivers seat and carpet, lifted the back seat carpet up and it is sitting in the sun with the doors wide open, the padding was extremely wet so I vacuumed another 1/2 gallon out and have it propped up for air circulation. I opened up the wiring tray and dried it and the connectors, I believe the main culprit for some issues was the connector for the seat and the air bag side impact crash sensor on the floor. I am going to replace that sensor.

The dehumidifier trick did nothing. Drying this thing out first and then I will figure out where the leak is and what other damage has been done.
chassis (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Check your drain plug on the corner of windshield! I had the issue when I purchased mine a few years ago. Small bits of leaves and others "stuff" will find their way to in. Keep doing what your doing, also you could use a some fabric softener (spray bottle) when you vacuum again.
GL
2MERKS
Old 08-11-2020, 08:22 PM

2003 W211 E320
Interior has dried out, trying to find the leak. Where does the a/c evaporator drain run?

I poured water in the sunroof channel, all 4 drains worked. Water came out of the fenders when poured into the cowl. The door and window seals look good, don't see a water trace under the dash. When driving in the rain I haven't experienced any leaks.

Not looking forward to airbag diagnostics but I will get it fixed.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Two drains routed below dash on each side of center console, right side shown.

Old 08-13-2020, 07:46 PM

2003 W211 E320
Thanks for the pics. The A/C drains are clear and the hoses look good.

I went back and found the info for an old recall with cowl drains. I pulled the inner fender and they had been removed but in the remaining hole I could see gunk. I used the shop vac and sucked dirt out of it and blew gunk out, I think this was the problem. I then dumped 5 gallons of water on the windshield, let it fill the cowl and run down and the water drained quickly. The interior had no leaks.
My side impact crash sensor should be here tomorrow or Sat and I will start outing the car back together and tackle the Air Bag light.
chassis (08-16-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 07:53 PM

2003 W211 E320
I replaced the side impact crash sensor, put back the rear carpet, installed the seat B pillar trim.

I hooked up the iCarSoft and read the codes for the A/C, ignition switch, dash and air bag. I cleared the codes and restarted the car. The codes did not come back. I took it for a short drive and the ESP warning went off, I think I dodged a bullet. The side impact sensor was new on EBay for $29 not bad. I still have the front carpet out.

I tested for leaks with a hose in the cowl, interior is dry. It is raining out and the car is outside, no leaks. I will keep the front rug out for a day or so.
chassis (08-16-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 08:15 PM

2003 W211 E320
Follow up.. I haven't put her out in the rain again but I did find on the plastic cowl there were holes in a rubberish piece on each side of the cowl trim. I sealed it with RV Proflex and reinstalled. When I dare put it in the rain I will report back.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by Coolharts
Follow up.. I haven't put her out in the rain again but I did find on the plastic cowl there were holes in a rubberish piece on each side of the cowl trim. I sealed it with RV Proflex and reinstalled. When I dare put it in the rain I will report back.
Wrong idea to wait until the rains come. Optest now and you'll get results. Just my humble opinion.
R,