E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Help! E500 rear wheels won't turn - slight play.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2005 e500
Help! E500 rear wheels won't turn - slight play.

The rear wheels on my 2005 e500 appear to not want to spin... there is some slight play in the rear wheels (Ie, I can turn them roughly 1/4 of a turn and then back but nothing more). I recently replaced the front CV joints successfully as they needed to be done however I appear to have something going on with the rear of the vehicle. I went to drive and the rear wheels remained locked while the front wheels moved forward. Not wanting to damage anything that is where I left things.

My thinking is that maybe the parking break had seized but before diving into different things I would love to get anyone's input as to what to check next. At this time I think I am going to take the brakes off to ensure they are not simply seized on.

Could this be a result of a broken/damanged flex disc?

Thanks for anyone's input... it is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 718 Likes on 535 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
brakes or differential exploded
Old 09-15-2020, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 342 Posts
C320
Is it 4matic?
Old 09-15-2020, 04:16 PM

Mercedes Benz 2005 e500
Yes, 211 chassis, 4matic..

Any suggestions?

Old 09-15-2020, 04:30 PM

Received 80 Likes on 79 Posts
W204 C220CDI 2011
1/4 of a turn is a lot. Have you changed the rear wheel bolts ? if they are too long they can foul the handbrake shoes..
Old 09-17-2020, 11:15 AM

Mercedes Benz 2005 e500
Question

Hey Everyone,

This may be a dumb question but it would really help me narrow things down (to the brakes specifically..

While examining things further, I've noticed that the wheel with a quarter turn of play is the right rear wheel only, the left side seems stuck.

If the brakes were engaged on the left side (say frozen due to rust or a stuck caliper, whatever the reason) what movement should the right side be displaying.. for instance, would it make sense in that scenario that the right side may only be able to move 1/8 to 1/4 rotation and back?

Also, While having someone turn the right wheel I can see shaft going to the engine turning so I am hopeful that its not the differential that failed - would love anyone's input on my question.

Basically, if the left rear wheel has the brake engaged, what movement, if any, is normal on the right rear wheel?

Thank you in advance for everyone's input and comments... This is a great community and I look forward to being able to give back. Thanks again!

Mark,.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
Originally Posted by esk1llz
Hey Everyone,

This may be a dumb question but it would really help me narrow things down (to the brakes specifically..

While examining things further, I've noticed that the wheel with a quarter turn of play is the right rear wheel only, the left side seems stuck.

If the brakes were engaged on the left side (say frozen due to rust or a stuck caliper, whatever the reason) what movement should the right side be displaying.. for instance, would it make sense in that scenario that the right side may only be able to move 1/8 to 1/4 rotation and back?

Also, While having someone turn the right wheel I can see shaft going to the engine turning so I am hopeful that its not the differential that failed - would love anyone's input on my question.

Basically, if the left rear wheel has the brake engaged, what movement, if any, is normal on the right rear wheel?

Thank you in advance for everyone's input and comments... This is a great community and I look forward to being able to give back. Thanks again!

Mark,.
Have you taken the wheels off and had a look? It seems like you will need to get some eyes on this before you can figure anything out for real.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:27 PM

Mercedes Benz 2005 e500
Yes, I have had the wheels off, and it seems like the left rear brake could be stuck which is why I was wondering how much play the right rear wheel should have if the left one was not moving from being stuck..

I suspect that no matter what I am going to have to free up the left side, in the mean time if anyone can describe what the right side should be doing in this sort of scenario it would be quite helpful

Regardless thanks for everyone's input and ideas.