E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Improving upon the crap stock radio system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Improving upon the crap stock radio system

This sytem really blows, its not loud at all at and when cranked all the way the cheap POS system distorts. This is the WORST sound system I've ever had in a car. I can't believe I paid 55k for a car that can't even outperform the sound system in a Honda civic that costs 1/90th of the price.

There has to be a way to alleviate this. Any suggestions? Keep in mind I dont want to hack the car too much.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:49 AM

2004 E500
Im assuming you dont have the Harmon Kardon system. Even though I hear that it isnt that great either. I am also having a problem with the sound. I am looking to upgrade my sound system in my 04 E500. It currently has the standard sound system, not HK. I was curious where all the speakers were and the sizes of them. I was also curious if I needed to rewire the car to add an amp to these speaker locations. Is there a way to use the stock wiring and just add the amp and new speakers? Hopefully someone can help us out.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
there was a good suggestion here,
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/75099-e-class-stock-sound-system-horrendous.html
and here
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/73039-upgrading-sound-system-e-class.html

youve had many threads on this, im not trying to complain, but youve been on this subject for 2 months, with many responses, and your still wondering what to do. upgrading your speakers in my mind would be the best for you, since you want a louder audio system, getting good speakers should help a lot, of course, an amp, and sub wouldnt hurt either. GL
Old 08-19-2004, 01:36 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Everyone says that the new Acura TL has a really superior sound system. Trade in that c*** sound system (and the Mercedes surrounding it) for a TL and you might even get change back. Such a deal.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Almost a Member!

04 E320
All the wires you need are at the factory amp located in the trunk behind the driver side panel. You can add your amps there with a high low converter. Also the battery is right there so wiring and insallation is easy.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:21 PM

I agree that the system needs some help, even the H/K system that my E500 has. So I added a JL box sub, and Sirius OEM sat radio. MUCH better sound now.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:04 AM

The reason I keep reposting is because I still haven't been given the answer I'm looking for. Everyone keeps responding to help with the HK system and mine isn't HK.

Basically my problem is that the headunit seems like its not going all the way up to its full potential, I've been reading some posts about MB possibly locking the headunit to only go so loud but I dont know how true it is. Can anyone shed some light on that.

I dont think my speakers are the weakest component, I think its the headunit and/or the amp. Does anyone think changing out the amp would make a significant differnece?
Old 08-20-2004, 08:42 AM
JPM

The speakers are by far the weakest link in any OEM sound system. One car company boss is very proud of the fact that he does not pay more than $1 per drive unit on any car in his entire model range (no, it is not Daimler, but Daimler have similar budget targets). Fitting better drive units will generally be the cheapest way to get the largest improvement, but this has become a little trickier as manufacturers fit ever more drive units of varying sizes. If you like plenty of bass then definitely fit an additional subwoofer, as turning up the bass levels on OEM speakers just makes them overload and hence distort much sooner - the more low frequency you can offload to a decent quality sub, the easier life will be for the remaining drive units and the better they will perform. Find an installer with experience of the W211 and follow their advice.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:02 AM

My car is a lease, whats better for me to do change the speakers or change the amp?
Old 08-20-2004, 12:53 PM
JPM

Change the speakers, assuming you can find suitable replacements for them all. The system may then go loud enough for you before the amp runs out of steam. If it doesn't then you'll have to change the amp as well. Keeping the speakers and changing just the amp is unlikely to help.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:47 AM

If I change out the speakers and I return my car will MB complain about the new speakers? Will they notice the doors were opened up and ripped apart?
Remember this car is a lease

Last edited by spubar; 08-23-2004 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:52 AM

2004 E500
I am interested in doing this as well. Does anybody know the sizes of the speakers throughout the vehicle? Is there somewhere that I can find this out.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:51 PM

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
For a lease, I doubt anyone will notice that the speakers were changed. The door panels will fit just fine after installation (assuming a skilled installer) so you shouldn't even be able to tell anything is different. I heard of plenty of people who upgrade their system on leased cars and then have them returned to the stock system before returning their cars.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:16 AM

2005 E500, Premium Package
I actually traded up to the HK Premium Package - phew!

I bought my 2004 E500 with Sunroof and heated seats in July 2004. Seemed like a fully equipped car. I LOVED driving it - until I played a CD in the Front Load CD player. Horrible sound system - couldn't get any volume or richness of sound. No highs, no lows. Very dull. Even the radio was just OK. Added a 6-CD changer. Didn't make a difference.

I thought for sure something had to be wrong with the amp - the system couldn't possibly be this bad. Even my 1998 M-Class had a better sound system. Dealer told me that's just the way the stock sound system was - nothing I could do. I sat in another E500 and confirmed - all the stock sound systems had no power and no richness of tone, especially in the CD function. Could not believe that poor a sound system in a $55,000 car.

Finally took one of my CD's and played it in an E500 with Premium Package (Harmon Kardon Sound System). Difference was NIGHT and DAY. Rich tones, classical music sounded like I was in the middle of an orchestra pit, and rock is awesome.

So after ten days in my stock E500, I paid an extra $3500 and they put me into a 2005 E500 (no more 2004's available) with Premium package and wood/leather steering wheel. The HK Sound system is awesome. I lost my free maintenance, but it is worth it. And the drive dynamic seats with massage are fantastic. It was money VERY well spent. And the new sound system plays MP3's as well (I hope Mercedes has realized that most of their customers probably know what an MP3 is and would like the option of a kegger or something like that).

My dealer in the San Fernando Valley, Keyes European, really went the distance to make me happy and keep the cost of trading up DOWN, and I highly recommend them.

Randy

Last edited by E500Meister; 08-28-2004 at 03:25 AM.