E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 (S211) E350 wagon Self leveling rear suspension question???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 e350
W211 (S211) E350 wagon Self leveling rear suspension question???

So I’m looking at purchasing lowering springs for my 2009 E350 4Matic wagon with self leveling rear suspension. Now I understand it only has springs in the front of the car, so I will only receive two springs for the front. My question is after I install the front springs with the rear self level or do I have to have it coded through star??

I did this same procedure on my old BMW e60 wagon and all I had to do was install the front springs and the back self adjusted. I’m curious if it is in deed the same on the W211 (S211) wagon. Thanks fellas!
Old 01-06-2021, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 342 Posts
C320
The rear air suspension on the 211 wagon depends on a ride height sensor attached to the sway bay near the middle of the car. The quick and easy solution in your case are "drop links". They are adjustable links between the sensor and sway bar that can change the ride height by adjusting theur length. They usually come in sets of 3 fir airmatic cars. You just need the one rear link.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:16 PM

w211 e350
Originally Posted by tjts1
The rear air suspension on the 211 wagon depends on a ride height sensor attached to the sway bay near the middle of the car. The quick and easy solution in your case are "drop links". They are adjustable links between the sensor and sway bar that can change the ride height by adjusting theur length. They usually come in sets of 3 fir airmatic cars. You just need the one rear link.
So I suppose that means the rear won’t self level once the front is lowered?

I know about the lowering links and I’ve used them on different cars, however I wasn’t sure because my car has self leveling rear suspension if it would level itself out without having to use links or through coding.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
Originally Posted by bmarti04
So I suppose that means the rear won’t self level once the front is lowered?

I know about the lowering links and I’ve used them on different cars, however I wasn’t sure because my car has self leveling rear suspension if it would level itself out without having to use links or through coding.
It can be done through coding but the links are a much easier solution. Coding a MB is far more complicated than BMW unfortunately. Yes it can be done but it's more of a PITA than it's worth.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:47 PM

w211 e350
Originally Posted by tjts1
It can be done through coding but the links are a much easier solution. Coding a MB is far more complicated than BMW unfortunately. Yes it can be done but it's more of a PITA than it's worth.
I know it can be done with links and through Star. That’s not my question at all. My question is once the springs are on the front shouldn’t the rear self level thus lowering the rear seeing how the car has self leveling suspension???
Old 01-06-2021, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
Originally Posted by bmarti04
I know it can be done with links and through Star. That’s not my question at all. My question is once the springs are on the front shouldn’t the rear self level thus lowering the rear seeing how the car has self leveling suspension???
No, the job of the rear self leveling suspension is to maintain a specified height for the rear axle. That's all. It doesn't try to match the front axle. The front axle doesn't have any sensors unless you have HIDs, and that's just for the HIDs.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2018 Audi S5 Sportback
I am in the same situation and would love some advice on what products to purchase. The suspension on my 2007 e350 wagon is still good but I would like to lower the car. I plan to keep air suspension in the back but would like to update springs (and shocks?) in the front.

Can you purchase a coilover set up for just the front of the car or would you purchase a shocks and springs combo? Also, can someone advice where to purchase the links to bring the rear air suspension down to make the lower front end? Thank you!
Old 02-11-2021, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda Fit
As stated earlier there is a single height sensor. There is a flat on the rear sway bar and a bracket that attaches to the sway bar that actuated the sensor. A simple way to adjust the rear suspension is to loosen the clamp, slide it off the flat towards the passenger side of the car. You can rotate the bracket on the round part of the sway bar and “Reclock” the bracket in the new position. There is no load on the sensor arm so once you tighten it, it will stay there.

By rotating the arm clockwise on the sway bar (when viewed from the drivers side) the car will drop. You are just tricking the system into thinking the lower position is the Desired height.

I have posted pics of the flat on the sway bar and the bracket removed from the vehicle. If ny explanation doesn’t make sense I can take better pics over the weekend. I have done similar things on other cars with air suspension and it works just fine. Essentially the same as what the “adjustable link” does but without needing to buy anything.