E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

I got dvd in motion....at least up to 100mph!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 09:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got dvd in motion....at least up to 100mph!!!

Hey guys,

I'm so excited! I have dvd in motion...you name it, backwards, front, left and right...no matter how fast. I have it set to 211ECE and the keyboard setting to US. I picked my car up a year ago as a 2003 model.

Audio - I also have RDS with local mode which displays the name and artist of the song along with station. It has something called TA instead of wether band, not sure what that means? Anyone...

Video - Plays all dvd's, all regions. No problem. I sometimes I have a hard time getting back to the video screen once I switch to Nav or radio. has anyone figured it out? So far, I have to eject and then reinsert toget the dvd back. On the video, it has a few different features. 4:3, 16:9 and zoom, along with subtitles, language, and play/pause. I was wondering if I could use the remote control.

Navigation - I have the british voice too, along with selection of POI by name and zip code searches too!

Service button - Has WAP, Address book, Company. What is WAP for? When I select it it says that it's not activated.

I was going to try some of the other selections 240, amg, etc, but I honestly don't want to lose my video feature. What do the others do?

If anyone needs pic's, just let me know.

Talk to you soon,

Marc
Old 09-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Since I don't have sat radio, is there a way convert the sat button to work for video. I thought it i changed the keyboard to 211ece then it would work.

Sorry for those that don't know it was all done with the 3-5-7 trick, nothing else!

Last edited by madde500; 09-12-2004 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:40 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by madde500
Service button - Has WAP, Address book, Company. What is WAP for? When I select it it says that it's not activated.
Wireless Application Protocol, maybe?

http://www.w3schools.com/wap/wap_intro.asp

Could be for displaying WAP information services on the screen, assuming that the phone service includes WAP information. WAP has been around for several years; as I recall it never really took off as a wireless information standard.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Great..... Not only do I have to deal with Volvo driving soccer moms with cell phone glued to their ears... Now I have to deal with Mercedes driving yahoo's watching cartoons while driving 100 m.p.h.....
Old 09-13-2004, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
hey congrats on your new found glory

the way to go back and forth between the video and nav, or whatever is to also set the keyboard to ECE. everything will be the same, and will look the same. the only difference is that your SAT button will act as a VIDEO button, and you will be able to go aback and forth wthout any problems, i was also having the same problem as you, then i cahnged it to ECE. GL with it.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:19 AM
Banned

Audio - I also have RDS with local mode which displays the name and artist of the song along with station. It has something called TA instead of wether band, not sure what that means? Anyone...
TA = Traffic Announcements. Each radio station that broadcasts traffic information sends a signal at the start and the end of the transmission to indicate that they are broadcasting traffic a traffic announcement. If TA is enabled, regardless of which channel you are listening to at the time, the traffic announcement from another channel will cut over the current channel to provide a traffic update. I suspect that broadcasters in the US do not broadcast the traffic announcement signals.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:27 AM
Almost a Member!

Thanks Daisy. It makes sense... I noticed that there was signal strength bars in the bottom right hand corner when I selected TA.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:23 AM

2003 E500
Congrats on the new find... Glad to hear that you are enjoying the video... but PLEASE SLOW DOWN if you are watching DVD. I'd hate to be in front of you. =)
Old 09-13-2004, 10:36 AM
Almost a Member!

Hello again,

Since I have the dvd video working...what about dvd audio? Does that mean I can also play dvd mp3 discs? What files do you think it can read?

Marc
Old 09-13-2004, 10:43 AM

2003 E500
I tried a mp3 disc with 1 or 2 mp3's on it before I dropped in a DVD just to see.. and I got lotsa static (tried the indash and my cd changer).

Then the DVD worked to my amazement... =) But if you get the mp3 disc working.. post here. =) I'd rather have the video for now =)

Hello again,

Since I have the dvd video working...what about dvd audio? Does that mean I can also play dvd mp3 discs? What files do you think it can read?

Marc
Old 09-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
I noticed that there was signal strength bars in the bottom right hand corner when I selected TA.
That is for phone...

Any US comand with DVD playback can get the MP3 capabillity by simply using the eurospec comand update disc BUT after that update the 3-5-7 DOES NOT LONGER WORK.

greetingz,
Old 09-13-2004, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Great..... Not only do I have to deal with Volvo driving soccer moms with cell phone glued to their ears... Now I have to deal with Mercedes driving yahoo's watching cartoons while driving 100 m.p.h.....

Totally agree. I reckon at that sort of speed you are travelling about 48 yards every second. (Using my morphine adled brain)

"But officer I only looked down for a second and there was no sign of the child"

John
sunny Torquay
Old 09-13-2004, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by glojo
Totally agree. I reckon at that sort of speed you are travelling about 48 yards every second. (Using my morphine adled brain)

"But officer I only looked down for a second and there was no sign of the child"

John
sunny Torquay
I understand that you are a dedicated follower of disbanding the DVD in motion, and to a certain degree, I agree with you. I also know that in the UK, you can get fined GBP 30 for having a TV screen in front of the driver. But look at it this way: What is the difference having a TV Screen with live satellite update in front of you? Even taking a look at that could distract the driver. That means that you in the UK also could/should be fined for using the COMAND Navigation. Or what about cellular? I have seen people writing SMS while driving. I have seen drivers who always look at their passenger while talking to them. There are so many things that can distract the driver. And I do not think that a well trained and educated driver will ever look at DVD while driving. But your passenger could, and also children in the backseat. And in the UK, most traffic police cars have TV screen in front of the driver to record hazardous situations. Doesn’t the same rule apply to them?
Old 09-13-2004, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Oslo
I understand that you are a dedicated follower of disbanding the DVD in motion, and to a certain degree, I agree with you. I also know that in the UK, you can get fined GBP 30 for having a TV screen in front of the driver. But look at it this way: What is the difference having a TV Screen with live satellite update in front of you? Even taking a look at that could distract the driver. That means that you in the UK also could/should be fined for using the COMAND Navigation. Or what about cellular? I have seen people writing SMS while driving. I have seen drivers who always look at their passenger while talking to them. There are so many things that can distract the driver. And I do not think that a well trained and educated driver will ever look at DVD while driving. But your passenger could, and also children in the backseat. And in the UK, most traffic police cars have TV screen in front of the driver to record hazardous situations. Doesn’t the same rule apply to them?
ME an activist Me???????

I will try to answer your points as best I can. First off, I personally am 100% against having a DVD film or TV being displayed in full view of the driver of a motor vehicle whilst it is in motion. Ah you say, what about a Navigation 6" monitor (for example)???? My answer is, I think it a distraction and I need to be persuaded to the contrary.

Yes I have one, and it is a very useful option but my wife certainly does not look down at the map/monitor, she does however occassionally look at the direction indicator on the dash though. What's the difference?? I suppose looking at the direction indicator is no different from looking at the speedometer.

Next: Celluar Phone
It is an offence in the UK for the driver of a motor vehicle to use a mobile phone whilst the vehicle is in motion. I am not saying it's right and I am not saying it's wrong, it is however the law. There have been a number of cases where drivers have killed other people whilst they are busy having a telephone conversation, thus the implication of this law.

You should have mentioned Police Vehicles that do not have 'Hands Free Radio' The driver must surely be guilty of an offence, but I would assume that the driver of an emergency vehicle might well be exempt of this particular law.

Ooops nearly forgot. The video camera in the Police vehicle used to be just that. A video camera capable of recording video footage, it certainly never used to have a video screen in view of the driver. I do accept though that times have changed and someone might be able to update me. I have seen footage of 'Data Recognition' equipment that instantly gives real time information on vehicle registration numbers, but I would assume that again the emergency vehicle is exempt.

In the UK if an emergency vehicle is involved in a Road Traffic accident the driver of the vehicle is investigated in a far more severe fashion than a member of the public. For example a Police vehicle cannot cause a suspect vehicle to loose control, if they do and the suspect vehicle has an accident, then the Police driver will be prosecuted. (There have been numerous prosecutions of Police drivers being prosecuted for hitting pedestrians that have stepped off the footpath into an oncoming emergency vehicle).

I hope I have explained my radical views, and as Chairperson of the 'Ban the DVD in Motion' campaign, have I convinced you to join???

Chairman John
Sunny Torquay
Old 09-13-2004, 02:16 PM

I hope I have explained my radical views, and as Chairperson of the 'Ban the DVD in Motion' campaign, have I convinced you to join???
Associated member with license to view……

Police car equipment.

Old 09-13-2004, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=Oslo]Associated member with license to view……

That piece of American equipment must look really ugly mounted on the dashboard of your beautiful car.

Regards,
Fathers 4 Justice
Torquay
Old 09-13-2004, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by glojo

That piece of American equipment must look really ugly mounted on the dashboard of your beautiful car.
OK. Some UK equipment then:

Old 09-13-2004, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by Oslo
OK. Some UK equipment then:

All this just to find the nearest fish and chip shop?
Old 09-13-2004, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=Oslo]OK. Some UK equipment then:

I was going to annoy you and say that the picture illustrates a Scottish Police vehicle (They have a different law system)

The picture however illustrates a MERCEDES-BENZ!!!!!!! E-class of the Durham Constabulary (North England) How do they justify purchasing an E-class?????

Obviously we must accept progress. The video camera used to be controlled by the observer and reviewed by looking at the VHS video in the boot of the car.

(The installers of this equipment used to make a horrible mess of the dash)

Regards,
John
Old 09-14-2004, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
I finally got around to trying the DVD Video. No problem getting it to play....but I get the cut off message when I get at about 5 mph. Did I miss something? I have an '03 replacement with Nav.

Bmms.... mine should be the same as yours. Do you get the DVD in Motion?
Old 09-14-2004, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by etenn
I finally got around to trying the DVD Video. No problem getting it to play....but I get the cut off message when I get at about 5 mph. Did I miss something? I have an '03 replacement with Nav.

Bmms.... mine should be the same as yours. Do you get the DVD in Motion?

hey etenn, yea i do. but it does work up to all speeds on mine. i have driven up to about 75 with it on, and it does not fade out. i forgot the members name, but he also has the same problem as you. iirc, he did say he got a software update which mght of changed the chracteristics, if you got a update, that mightof chaged your system also. GL with it getting back to all speeds.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Originally Posted by bmms8
hey etenn, yea i do. but it does work up to all speeds on mine. i have driven up to about 75 with it on, and it does not fade out. i forgot the members name, but he also has the same problem as you. iirc, he did say he got a software update which mght of changed the chracteristics, if you got a update, that mightof chaged your system also. GL with it getting back to all speeds.
I did not have a software update, so that can't be it.

I have the W211ece selected. Is there something else? Does the keyboard make a difference?
Old 09-14-2004, 09:14 PM
Almost a Member!

E320
I did not have a software update, so that can't be it.

I have the W211ece selected. Is there something else? Does the keyboard make a difference?
Hmm, that rules out the software update as the cause of picture-in-motion not working. I have the same "problem." (Safety feature to MB.) I did get a COMAND software update, and I thought that was the problem. What build is your car? Mine is a 6/03 build Navi replacement. I tried virtually all combination of keyboard and model settings. None of them enabled DVD in motion.

You do need to set the keyboard to W211_ECE to get the SAT button to work as the Video button. There are no other changes that I can tell to the ECE keyboard.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Originally Posted by PSquared
Hmm, that rules out the software update as the cause of picture-in-motion not working. I have the same "problem." (Safety feature to MB.) I did get a COMAND software update, and I thought that was the problem. What build is your car? Mine is a 6/03 build Navi replacement. I tried virtually all combination of keyboard and model settings. None of them enabled DVD in motion.

You do need to set the keyboard to W211_ECE to get the SAT button to work as the Video button. There are no other changes that I can tell to the ECE keyboard.

I think it was a July '03 build. Everything works as stated on this thread except for the "in motion".

I really was looking forward to driving down HOH's street at 120 watching Harry Potter. :p
Old 09-14-2004, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I think it was a July '03 build. Everything works as stated on this thread except for the "in motion".

I really was looking forward to driving down HOH's street at 120 watching Harry Potter. :p

etenn iirc, you were one of the first ones who got your car, that would be wierd if the navs werent regularily the same as the others. GL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I got dvd in motion....at least up to 100mph!!!