Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
E320 CDI
Steering wheel column - how to disconnect wire connector

How does this connector unfasten?

I believe it's part number A2114404509.

This is the very last wire connector to disconnect on my parts car. It appears that this is the ONLY such connector: the myriad of connector types is like it's some sort of Mensa test!
Old 01-18-2023, 01:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto

Old 01-18-2023, 01:55 PM
Banned

E320 CDI
So, I have to flip up one (both?) of the side tabs [long sides; my picture shows a part number on it] to access the slider lock and then squeeze the tab (shown in the picture of the person's index finger)?
Old 01-18-2023, 01:55 PM

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
2006 E280
I have that exact connector on my hand, and can't figure out how it locks/unlocks. I also have module which that connector goes, but it has zero wedges or anything for connector to lock into.
Only thing that moves is the triangle shaped parts on both sides, they bend inward slightly.
I do remember that it was a challenge to get this connector out, but after I figured how it works, it was no brainer.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:02 PM
Banned

E320 CDI
I wonder whether those side levers/flaps pull up in order to push the locking bar (down below) and then one pushes the top tab?

BTW - Won't be able to check this out until later.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:26 PM
Banned

E320 CDI
I spent a few minutes fumbling with this thing (it's in a crevasse and hard to reach with tools or fingers) and gave up. I'm not going to use any of these parts and I have enough disassembly yet to do. Ended up just cutting the wires. In the entire wiring of the car this was only the second connector I cut.
Old 06-04-2024, 01:00 AM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
07' E63
Rear Side Steering Connector-How do you remove?

I am in process of replacing my EVAP Core and tried lowering the Steering Wheel but then realized this connector was still connected! After stabilizing the SW again, then placing some towels in the floor in order to try to get “Comfortable”, I am at a loss as to How To Safely Disconnect this SW Connector.

I can see the image of “pinching” the top of the 2 arms with the index & Middle finger with the Thumb at the Tab at the Bottom. Presumably, this is what needs to be done, but can someone chime in to concur with this assessment?
Old 06-07-2024, 08:33 PM

07' E63
Well, to answer my own question, as well as to inform others in my same position of trying to remove the Steering Column Module Connector from the rear passenger side of the Column before dropping the Steering Column as required before removal of the Dash Frame in order to replace the Evaporator, it appears that Connector CANNOT be pulled out! Instead, one must remove both the Steering Clock and the Steering Level mechanism and carefully pull it forward, and in doing so, whilst disconnecting that Connector which itself is retained within what appears to be the built-in aluminum frame it rests in as part of the Column itself . If one looks closely at the Connector, one can see channels on each side which that “frame” provides to secure the connector. Only after removing the above, can one then slide that Connector down and out from the Column. Then one can lower the Steering Column.

I deduced this by way of finding this explanation on a German Site for those trying to convert to the 2007-09 Steering Wheel from thier previous Columns.

This photo shows all! When your on your back trying to look behind the Column to figure how to remove that dang Connector, you can see in this picture the preformed Aluminum Frame Notch the Connector slides into (see left of middle finger). When one removes the Module, (see what he’s holding in his hand where you can see the terminal that Connector is to mate with) which itself has parts positioned directly below the Connector making it impossible to lower/remove the connector, one is, in effect, disconnecting the Steering Module Connector in that process. In this case the WIS stating to remove the Module without detail was in fact correct! I was just about to try to take some pliers and pull that out by its lowest point tab, what a mistake that would have been!

Last edited by E63007; 06-07-2024 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-08-2024, 06:35 PM

07' E63
Ok, so all it takes to remove that entire Module (within which holds the ABS/Horns Clock Mechanism?, Steering Level?) is to use a T30 Screwdriver to loosen the stabilizing screw (located on the right/passenger side at about 5,o’clock) which will remain retained within the Module so no worry of it falling out, and then use both hands to carefully and gradually pull the entire plastic surround straight out. It seems that the Connector itself is what you’re pulling against as that is the only way to unplug the Connector. When I tried, it kind of popped out so it was good I cradled the whole thing with its wands and all! That plastic surround, being 17 years old, is most likely to be brittle if one isn’t careful!

Now my only issue is trying to figure out how to unplug the CANBUS from the A/C/Heater-Blower Box that I’m attempting to remove!

Last edited by E63007; 06-08-2024 at 08:52 PM.