E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E320 CDI Diesel fumes - Anyone know source?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C 350 2014 GLK350
E320 CDI Diesel fumes - Anyone know source?

I have had my 05 E320 CDI in for service three times because of smelling diesel fumes when I put the car in the garage. Finally, I was told they contacted MB and an MB engineer said this was normal on the CDI engines. Does anyone know why this would be so only on a CDI engine and where the fumes are coming out?
My earlier non CDI diesels never had this problem unless there was a leak.
I can't believe this odor is normal and that nothing can be done about it.
Does anyone else have this problem ?
Old 11-20-2004, 05:43 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Hi Jim. We've had a problem with diesel exhaust smell in the cabin when the sunroof is fully open and, oddly, when the climate control is in the recirculate mode (sunroof closed). We had our dealer check the car for this when it returned recently from Euro delivery, but service claimed they couldn't duplicate the problem.

I posted this problem several weeks ago, with no conclusive replies. You might want to search on "fumes" or "exhaust" and see if you can find the thread.

Good luck. Please post back if you find a cause or solution. It's very hard to believe that exhaust fumes entering the cabin could be normal!
Old 11-20-2004, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
We haven't noticed anything, but we don't keep in the garage (the garage is occupied, see the signature).

Even window open or in recirc mode, we haven't noticed anything but noise (a lot louder with the window open!).

David
Old 11-21-2004, 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by MB-JIM
Finally, I was told they contacted MB and an MB engineer said this was normal on the CDI engines.
Grrrrr Absolute Poppy****!!!!! (will that pass the censor) I have never heard so much rubbish.

My car lives in our garage and believe it or not the floor is carpeted???? No smell, no odour. Do you start the engine with the garage door still closed?

There have been problems with a 'clip' on a fuel pipe in the engine bay. I have never seen this clip so cannot give a precise location. However a number of CDI's have reported fuel leaks and this 'clip' has been replaced with a more sturdy version. The fuel that leaked then collected in the engine pan and continually gave off the horrible odour we are talking about. I am not saying this is your problem. I am saying though that you have been told a complete load of pugwash.

Good luck with solving your problem,
John

An overcast morning in Torquay
Old 11-21-2004, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by glojo
Grrrrr Absolute Poppy****!!!!! (will that pass the censor) I have never heard so much rubbish.

I have never seen this clip so cannot give a precise location.
I have found this post by 'Marcos' which might be relevant?

"""The clip he changed was to the left of the block on a pipe going into what looks like a filter. The clips are just push on things and seem to be a waste of time, he replaced it using a proper jubilee clip.
Throuble with diesel is a small leak makes abig smell and it takes ages for it to go, the other problem is the diesel settles in the sumpgaurd and that has a kind of foam insulator so if it isnt properly cleaned the smell stays for ages."""

There are indeed a number of posts about this so I stand by my opinion of your 'advisor'

Regards,
John
Old 11-21-2004, 12:02 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
You'll get used to it

When I first got my diesel (my first), I thought I smelled fumes periodically, although I could not find any pattern to it. After owning the car for maybe two weeks, I never smelled anything again.

I recently handed down the diesel to my wife. The first two times she drove it, she complained about the overwhelming chemical smell. After that, she never noticed a thing.

Sounds like the drivers need to adjust to what is a normal odor from driving a diesel car?
Old 11-21-2004, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by shoes
Sounds like the drivers need to adjust to what is a normal odor from driving a diesel car?
I think your tolerance level is much lower than my own. Any diesel fumes coming from my vehicle would be totally unacceptable.

Again we might be comparing very dis-similar quality of fuel. Diesel in Europe is now 'scented' and as I have stated previously when starting our car on a cold morning it smells like a very cheap bordello!!!! (Not that I have first hand experience) The smell is not that strong really!

Regards,
John
Old 11-21-2004, 12:29 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I want to thank all of you who have responded. Obviously, there should be no odor. I will have a serious discussion with my service manager and get to the bottom of this. You have restored my faith in the CDI design.
Jim
Old 11-21-2004, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by glojo
Diesel in Europe is now 'scented' and as I have stated previously when starting our car on a cold morning it smells like a very cheap bordello!!!! (Not that I have first hand experience) Regards,
John

Ahhh... I see your finally starting to come out of the closet....You know, I think this may be a small step towards your recovery :p :p :p
Old 11-21-2004, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Ahhh... I see your finally starting to come out of the closet....You know, I think this may be a small step towards your recovery :p :p :p

Not like these 'bikers' that wash in oil and grease :p

Nice talking to you XXX
John
Night time in Torquay
Old 11-11-2005, 12:03 PM

w211 cdi 2005
any more insight into the engine bay diesel smell

I came across this thread the other day. My engine compartment smells of diesel and it is getting worse. I don't see anything dripping. I've read all the posts but was looking for any more information from those that had it fixed already.

chemo
Old 11-11-2005, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Step 1: see dealer, it could be something as simple as a loose clamp. Though it's more likely a leak in the 23000PSI metering system or pump.

Step 2: if dealer unable to fix.. PM MB-JIM and see what he did to get his situation resolved.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:39 PM

W211 CDI, W203, 03 Dodge CTD
I see it as one of the joys of owning a diesel
Old 11-11-2005, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
BTW.. any diesel owners who already haven't voted: Get to it!

https://mbworld.org/forums/suggestions-feedback/124303-diesel-forum.html
Old 11-11-2005, 02:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
Originally Posted by chemo
I came across this thread the other day. My engine compartment smells of diesel and it is getting worse. I don't see anything dripping. I've read all the posts but was looking for any more information from those that had it fixed already.

chemo
I've experienced the same problem. It was finally fixed when the SA discovered three small leaks. They "clamped" it and no problems since then. BTW, the diesel smell was atrocious especially in the garage. Hope this helps.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by saffrontiger
I've experienced the same problem. It was finally fixed when the SA discovered three small leaks. They "clamped" it and no problems since then.
Glad to see everything worked out for the best
Old 11-11-2005, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Chemo

Use a torx driver to remove the 9 screws that retain the engine cover.

Pluck the screws away with a magnet after they are unthreaded.

Remove the engine cover, turn it upside down and look for evidence of fuel in the sound insulation.

Start the engine sans decorative/sound insulating cover. Look for visible leaks in the filtration/injection. Also look for staining of the aluminum cylinder head for evidence of prior fuel leakage.

If you smell fuel but don't see it on the garage floor, chances are it is evaporating on hot engine components. (ie fire hazard, FLASHPOINT is reached!)
Old 11-11-2005, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Leaks can be found by adding a dye to the fuel and checking it with a light. Every new V6 diesel is now checked this way.

If your dealer refuses to do it, tell him you plan to take it to an Independent to have it tested and when they find the problem you will send the bill to MBUSA with an explanation about why you had to go to an Indy.

There are CDI's that leak. There is a way to find the leak(s). Don't let the dealer stonewall you.

New V6 diesels being tested for leaks. http://www.germancarfans.com/photos....ercedes/1.html

Last edited by BudC; 11-11-2005 at 09:16 PM.