Factory burl wood steering wheel on Ebay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 01:10 PM
EG1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory burl wood steering wheel on Ebay

Howdy all,
I just changed to a none-wood steering wheel and put the original one on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7939129439 It's the factory upgraded Burl and Charcoal one that I got with the car.

Thanks
EG
Old 12-03-2004, 01:40 PM

06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
how difficult to install this? how do you like it? do you know they have one for birdseye maple wood trim = appearance package type of wood?

thanks!
Old 12-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Does anyone know if the wood steering wheel is thicker than the regular one? The regular steering wheel just feels so thin to me. I guess I'm used to the M steering wheel that I have in the 530i, it has a nicer feel to it.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by EG1
Howdy all,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7939129439 It's the factory upgraded Burl and Charcoal one that I got with the car.

Thanks
EG
So you are throwing it out to the sharks to bid for it?

Why did you switch to a standard wheel? Just curious because I saw the survey a few thread back that said most people preferred the wood steering wheel. I am undecided still. Wood tends to crack with age.

Steve
Old 12-03-2004, 02:09 PM

2005 E500
Originally Posted by hlkc
how difficult to install this? how do you like it? do you know they have one for birdseye maple wood trim = appearance package type of wood?

thanks!
Hey I have no knowledge about the level of dificulty of install but I do know that my local parts manager was able to get me the wood/leather steering wheel in the Black birdseye maple wood. I was a little worried since in the MB website as well as in the E-Class sales booklet it states that the wood/leather wheel is not availible with the appearence package. But I have it in my car and I love it. I drove with the standard all leather wheel for the first day with the car, and I have to say that the wood/leather wheel looks amazing especially in black wood, and the highly polished wood feels much smoother than the standard wheel. I recommend it!
Old 12-04-2004, 09:18 AM

2013 w204 C350
Originally Posted by hlkc

thanks!
10 Minute installation at most. Me and BklynBnz have changed our wheels numerous times in a snap.

Fazooley
Old 12-04-2004, 10:01 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Removal and install are really very easy. However, if you are trying to center your steering wheel, do not turn the car over without the air bag hooked electrical connections hooked up. The system will sense that the air bag is not connected, and will register a malfunction. Then you will have to have the system reset through Stardiagnose.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:15 AM

06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
Originally Posted by bluerascal
Hey I have no knowledge about the level of dificulty of install but I do know that my local parts manager was able to get me the wood/leather steering wheel in the Black birdseye maple wood. I was a little worried since in the MB website as well as in the E-Class sales booklet it states that the wood/leather wheel is not availible with the appearence package. But I have it in my car and I love it. I drove with the standard all leather wheel for the first day with the car, and I have to say that the wood/leather wheel looks amazing especially in black wood, and the highly polished wood feels much smoother than the standard wheel. I recommend it!
Please post some pictures. Where did you get yours? May I ask how much?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
The wood wheel may look better but I'd prefer the standard wheel. It will be cooler in our Arizona climate and I would think that your hands would sweat on that wood.

On the other hand, the standard wheel on the E320 is great. The leather is not as nice as older Mercedes but it provides a good grip and your hands won't sweat.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:30 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320
The wood wheel is really good. I really like it since it's so smooth, sleek and shiny. There are grooves on the back of the wood so there slippage is not really an issue unless you have very sweaty hands. It really changes the look of your MB and I'd really recommend it.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
Originally Posted by EG1
Howdy all,

Thanks
EG
check your PM
Jay
Old 12-04-2004, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by BudC
The wood wheel may look better but I'd prefer the standard wheel. It will be cooler in our Arizona climate and I would think that your hands would sweat on that wood.

On the other hand, the standard wheel on the E320 is great. The leather is not as nice as older Mercedes but it provides a good grip and your hands won't sweat.
to each his own but regarding the sweating of hands on a wood wheel:

1> dont you have AC in your cabin?

2> the wheel is not completely wood, there is leather on there as well
Old 12-04-2004, 10:35 PM

2005 E320 4Matic
I realize that it is a matter of personal likeness so that someone may want to revert to all-leather steering wheel. For me, I love it. As one person already mentioned, it is silky smooth, creates great visual ambience, and is not a problem of being cold even in the Iowa winter. The only gripe I have with my factory-installed wood-steering-wheel is that the color of burl walnut in the wheel is much darker than that in elsewhere. What gives?
Old 12-05-2004, 09:29 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320
Originally Posted by BklynBenz
to each his own but regarding the sweating of hands on a wood wheel:

1> dont you have AC in your cabin?

2> the wheel is not completely wood, there is leather on there as well
I don't know about you, but sometimes, my hands are moist (not sweaty) even when I'm in an air conditioned place. About the Leather on the wheel: is it not softer and better padded than the standard MB leather wheel? Also, not only is the rim trimmed leather, so is the centre (air-bag) of the steering wheel (it's double stitched).
Old 12-05-2004, 07:17 PM

E320
Wow! That's nice!
Old 12-06-2004, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
who is this guy and what is his problem? this was a pm i got from saffrontiger:

hi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need to grow up. It's obvious your attachment was meant to stir up some crap but trying being somewhat tactful.
Good luck with your journey to adulthood
Jay
Old 12-06-2004, 08:35 AM

2012 CLS
When my wheel was fitted (black maple to match the interior wood of the car) the dealer made a big fuss about the airbag and the fact that it should only be fitted by the dealership and that a new airbag unit was fitted. ??

Based on what they said I wouldn't attempt it.....but from whats been said here perhaps its not so hard?

Marc
Old 12-06-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by marc777
When my wheel was fitted (black maple to match the interior wood of the car) the dealer made a big fuss about the airbag and the fact that it should only be fitted by the dealership and that a new airbag unit was fitted. ??

Based on what they said I wouldn't attempt it.....but from whats been said here perhaps its not so hard?

Marc
There are two "star-shaped" allen bolts (I forgot what they call them) behind the steering wheel airbag. Once those are loose, the airbag comes off as a unit. You need to then disconnect the airbag connection, and the steering wheel controls connection. As I mentioned earlier, do not turn the car over with the air bag disconnected, or else it will sense a circuit break. One thing I am not sure about, however, is if the system senses a circuit break even if the car is not turned on. I can't image that this would be the case, but I'm not sure.

Once the air bag unit is disconnected, a single nut holds the steering wheel on the steering wheel column. It is pretty easy.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by CALBenzo
There are two "star-shaped" allen bolts (I forgot what they call them) behind the steering wheel airbag. Once those are loose, the airbag comes off as a unit. You need to then disconnect the airbag connection, and the steering wheel controls connection. As I mentioned earlier, do not turn the car over with the air bag disconnected, or else it will sense a circuit break. One thing I am not sure about, however, is if the system senses a circuit break even if the car is not turned on. I can't image that this would be the case, but I'm not sure.

Once the air bag unit is disconnected, a single nut holds the steering wheel on the steering wheel column. It is pretty easy.
exactly. i have changed a few wheels on w211's and w208's. its (2) 27 torx that hold the airbag on and (1) 10mm allen that actually holds the wheel on. very easy. you might need to use a breaker bar to get the 10mm allen off depending on how tight its on