E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Ski Racks for Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 CLK 350 Coupe, '03 E500 Sport;'02 E320 4Matic; ,08 Jaguar XJ; 10 E350 '65 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT
Ski Racks for Sedan

I recently sold my BMW 525 wagon and now have a E500 sedan. My concern is the Thule roof racks I had on my BMW worked great. Easy to put on and take off and very stable. I would like to use the racks so I bought the Thule adaptors for the MB and tried them on today. I am concerned that they will damage the paint since they clamp directly onto the paint (Thule says they are coated with a non-marring material, but I'm skeptical).

I noticed that there are flip up openings on the roof rails that have female threads in them. Do the factory adaptors screw into these?

Does anyone have any experience with the Thule roof racks? Will the MB adaprots work with the Thule racks?
Old 12-06-2004, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
I recently sold my BMW 525 wagon and now have a E500 sedan. My concern is the Thule roof racks I had on my BMW worked great. Easy to put on and take off and very stable. I would like to use the racks so I bought the Thule adaptors for the MB and tried them on today. I am concerned that they will damage the paint since they clamp directly onto the paint (Thule says they are coated with a non-marring material, but I'm skeptical).

I noticed that there are flip up openings on the roof rails that have female threads in them. Do the factory adaptors screw into these?

Does anyone have any experience with the Thule roof racks? Will the MB adaprots work with the Thule racks?
I have had many roof racks. I currently have Thule on my Audi, but I just bought the MB racks for my W211. I like the idea of having the rack screw to the car and not touch the paint. It is not worth saving a few bucks to me if I ends up scratching the paint. I would not trust what they say either since dirt always gets in places like this and will end up scratching the paint. They tell you that the rack will not scratch it (probably true) but the crap between the rack and the paint will.

But to get back to your question; I don't know about any adapter for mounting a Thule rack on the receptacles of the W211.

Sorry,

Steve A.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500, 1998 Ferrari Spider

I have the Thule rack and although I do not plan on using it that often, the times I have used it I have been quite pleased. If you want a rack that mounts directly to the car you will have to get the MB racks from the dealer. IMO they do not look as sleek (a relative term) as the Thule but they will not touch your paint. I am **** about my car and so for there is not a trace of wear on the contact patch of the paint.

Cheers
Old 12-08-2004, 11:10 PM

'07 CLK 350 Coupe, '03 E500 Sport;'02 E320 4Matic; ,08 Jaguar XJ; 10 E350 '65 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT
Thanks for the input. I suspect that grit between the paint and racks can mar the paint. I will ask the dealer to see their rack mounts. I'll use the Thule racks on my 97 E320. I'll just make sure that I remove them when not in use (a real pain in the ***).

See you on the slopes.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Here's what the MB attachment looks like:

http://www.mbusa.com/media/images/by...2005/a5079.jpg

Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by TPAbnz
Here's what the MB attachment looks like:

http://www.mbusa.com/media/images/by...2005/a5079.jpg

Hope this helps.

Sorry to tell you, but that is the wrong picture. I don't think that is even a W211, it looks like a W210. The ski rack mount on this picture shows some black trip that wraps down to the doorframe. That is not what mine looks like.

On the W211 the rack screws into the receptacle threads inside the little covers. There is nothing else close to the paint of the car. When I get home I will see if I have pictures of this that I can post.

Steve
Old 12-09-2004, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
This is probably the best solution:

Get off those skis, learn to snowboard, and then you can throw your snowboards in the trunk (even without folding seats, as long as you stick with freestyle- or all mountain-type boards).

-s-
Old 12-09-2004, 11:23 PM

The Thule racks I have attach in a similar manner to the ones pictured in TPAbnz's post. My W210 must use this attachment since there are no screw in attachment points. I'll take the W210 on local trips but I need the Navigation in the W211 for trips to Vermont and Canada.

anyone have pics of the W211 racks?
Old 12-10-2004, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Thule racks I have attach in a similar manner to the ones pictured in TPAbnz's post. My W210 must use this attachment since there are no screw in attachment points. I'll take the W210 on local trips but I need the Navigation in the W211 for trips to Vermont and Canada.

anyone have pics of the W211 racks?
I will post picutres of "MY RACK" this weekend.

Steve
Old 12-11-2004, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SAguirre
I will post picutres of "MY RACK" this weekend.

Steve
Here are the ony two pictures of MY RACK:
Attached Thumbnails Ski Racks for Sedan-skirack-front-view.jpg   Ski Racks for Sedan-skirack-rear-view.jpg  
Old 12-11-2004, 09:52 AM

2003 E320
Question for SAguirre: I think your rack looks like the way to go! In the past, I have heard Thule accessories will fit the bar on the Mercedes rack but it does not appear that these bars are anything like the Thule. What do you think?
Old 12-11-2004, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pfphipps
Question for SAguirre: I think your rack looks like the way to go! In the past, I have heard Thule accessories will fit the bar on the Mercedes rack but it does not appear that these bars are anything like the Thule. What do you think?
My current Thule rack that I use on my Audi is older than dirt. It or its accessories will not fit the MB for sure. I have not looked at the newer Thule products to compare, but I am sure that there is still a way to clamp other non-MB products on it.

This MB rack has a Channel-groove on the top where the accessories slide in and out from either end. Then there is a set screw to keep it in place. Also, MB now has a snow board clamp that can also mounts on the rack next to the ski-holder. The cross members are very quiet, but the ski carriers are a bit noisy (wind noise if driving over 80 MPH which is only 5 over the speed limit here). This is noticeable because the W211 is so quiet to begin with.

The main reason I bought this rack is because the plastic pieces that go down to the roof are a few millimeters away from the paint. It would have to be very big pieces of dirt to cause any paint damage. I also think that it looks nice and blends with the overall car's design (if any rack really can). It is also the easiest rack I have ever had to put on. It is very simple to install! (IMO) Does you dealer have any in stock for you to look at?

I will be in New Mexico this New Years and might be in either Taos, Red River or Angel Fire to ski, but only if the snow is good. I will otherwise be in Cimarron for a reunion. Maybe you know what is there (in Cimarron).

If there is anything else I can help you with please tell me. My digital camera is gone for a while; I think that I need to buy another one.

I hope this helps,

Steve
Old 12-11-2004, 04:40 PM

2003 E320
Your rack does not look anything like the older Mercedes racks and to me, it seems the way to go even though I cannot use my old Thule things. The dealer does not have any in stock and your pictures are better than anything I have seen there.

As far as skiing, go Taos for sure unless your are planning on snowboarding. Taos is one of three or four areas in the USA that does not allow boards--skis only! Snow is very good there right now and the prices are right for another week. Half price on most everything, lift tickets, lessons, some rooms, some meals until Dec 17. I am going next week for a few days and since I am going alone, I just recline the passenger seat and lay the well wrapped skis there.

Angel Fire and Red River do allow boards.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:13 PM

none
Do they have bike mounts for the Mercedes Rack? Are the fork or wheel mount?
Old 12-11-2004, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pfphipps
Your rack does not look anything like the older Mercedes racks and to me, it seems the way to go even though I cannot use my old Thule things. The dealer does not have any in stock and your pictures are better than anything I have seen there.

As far as skiing, go Taos for sure unless your are planning on snowboarding. Taos is one of three or four areas in the USA that does not allow boards--skis only! Snow is very good there right now and the prices are right for another week. Half price on most everything, lift tickets, lessons, some rooms, some meals until Dec 17. I am going next week for a few days and since I am going alone, I just recline the passenger seat and lay the well wrapped skis there.

Angel Fire and Red River do allow boards.
I did not know that Taos did not allow snow boards. No big deal anyway since I was going to ski, I have very little patience for getting better at snowboarding. I am a little spoiled by the ski resorts in Colorado, but I will be in Philmont for a reunion and there might be a skiing trip that I will participate in. Some people need lessons and I am kind of good at teaching.

As per the question about bike racks, I have not seen any, but I have not looked for them either. I still use my Audi for that. I am skeptical about putting bikes on the roof of my W211 since too many people drive in the garage with the bikes still on the roof. I had customers drive into my carwash about 3 times last winter! The damage is really bad. I am not that forgetful, but I don’t want it to happen to me.

But, if they don't have bike carriers now, they will soon, the snow board carrier is very new.

Steve A