Phone Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soon to be E500
Phone Options

Hi all-
Going to take the plunge for the first time at the end of this month, with an E500. I have been having a hard time trying to figure out what phone option will be best for me. Ideally I would like to be able to use a non-MB phone and also be able to use the hands free, voice active utilities. I've read the posts concerning the Mikbox as well as the ones re: startac, v60 etc. If I am correct, mikbox is not an option with the 05 E500's. I would rather not go back to an older phone just to be able to do this. (Heck, I'm trying to consolidate my phone and PDA into one device!)
In short, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
TIA,
John
Old 12-14-2004, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
There are supposed to be some new phone options availble in Jan. It appears the V600 and V710 will be supported. Your other option is to contact Scorchie and get UHI kit which gives you more phone options. If you have the new slider console door the UHI kits will not work...
Old 12-14-2004, 01:50 PM

Soon to be E500
Do I order the car with the voice activated hands free option? Does the UHI replace this or is it added to it? This is what I am having trouble figuring out.
Thanks
Old 12-14-2004, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by lorinserbenz
There are supposed to be some new phone options availble in Jan. It appears the V600 and V710 will be supported. Your other option is to contact Scorchie and get UHI kit which gives you more phone options. If you have the new slider console door the UHI kits will not work...
Actually, if you have the slider console, UHI will still work, and you get to keep your TeleAid!

-s-
Old 12-14-2004, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RodeoClown11
Do I order the car with the voice activated hands free option? Does the UHI replace this or is it added to it? This is what I am having trouble figuring out.
Thanks
If you want UHI and the phone choices comport with your interests (or you believe one of the future choices will work for you), save yourself some money and order the car without any phone options. The UHI kit can be installed, you can select a phone from the list of available phones, and add voice control too. And if a new phone comes out and is supported, it's just a 2 minute procedure to upgrade.

If you want Mikbox, you'll have to wait for W211 support.

If you want to use Verizon or Sprint, you'll have to get a Mercedes-branded phone and the US-spec phone kit (for LOTS of money). Luckily with the new kits, if in 4 years Mercedes USA comes out with a new phone that we would consider current now, then you can upgrade to the new phone for only ... $725 or so. Wow, their ability to upgrade is so much better than before!

-s-
Old 12-14-2004, 04:43 PM

Soon to be E500
Is the UHI kit something that I can install myself? I have installed car alarms and trunk openers on other cars. Is it technically more involved?
Thanks
Old 12-14-2004, 04:53 PM

none
Scorchie,
My car is an 05' with the slider console. So I can put one of your UHI kits in and it will fit ok? Is the list of phones that will work any different than what is on your web site?
Thanks
Lawrnece
Old 12-15-2004, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Scorchie,
My car is an 05' with the slider console. So I can put one of your UHI kits in and it will fit ok? Is the list of phones that will work any different than what is on your web site?
Thanks
Lawrnece
You have two choices...

1) replace the console (yeah!). I checked the pricing and it is not terribly expensive, especially if adding rear screen.

2) mount it the way the US phone system parts fit. I will get those documents when I am back in the US next week. I don't care for how the phone sits in the console, but it does work.

The list of phones hasn't been posted on the site as of yet. I believe if you search in the Audio forum, there's a current list there.

-s-
Old 12-15-2004, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Is the UHI kit something that I can install myself? I have installed car alarms and trunk openers on other cars. Is it technically more involved?
Thanks
I can't really say if you can do it or not... because I don't know your skills, and it's really a subjective thing.

We will probably have a south-Georgia install date in late January/early February, and if enough people in Florida are interested we'll head there too. That would save all the install headaches for people in those areas.

So, any of you in FL who become seriously interested in phone kits, rear screen monitors, navs, or COMANDs, should probably start getting on a list with Wanda and if there are enough people, we'll schedule the date.

-s-
Old 12-15-2004, 01:13 AM

none
Originally Posted by scorchie
You have two choices...

1) replace the console (yeah!). I checked the pricing and it is not terribly expensive, especially if adding rear screen.

2) mount it the way the US phone system parts fit. I will get those documents when I am back in the US next week. I don't care for how the phone sits in the console, but it does work.

The list of phones hasn't been posted on the site as of yet. I believe if you search in the Audio forum, there's a current list there.

-s-
Scorchie
Spent an hour going through your posts and others regarding the phone options.. now I am dizzy

anyway.. You have stated the V600 acts buggy, can you elaborate? I dont have a problem switching to a Nokia or Ericsson its just I have a V600 already.
Can you PM me the cost of a console swap as well as the cost of the UHI install and kit. I am located in Tampa Fl.... You mention coming to Fl, whereabouts? My friend would be interested in getting a Euro Command in his 2003 E320 as well.
You can email me at ebayaudio@mac.com..
Thanks
lawrence
Old 12-15-2004, 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Scorchie
Spent an hour going through your posts and others regarding the phone options.. now I am dizzy

anyway.. You have stated the V600 acts buggy, can you elaborate? I dont have a problem switching to a Nokia or Ericsson its just I have a V600 already.
Can you PM me the cost of a console swap as well as the cost of the UHI install and kit. I am located in Tampa Fl.... You mention coming to Fl, whereabouts? My friend would be interested in getting a Euro Command in his 2003 E320 as well.
You can email me at ebayaudio@mac.com..
Thanks
lawrence
Lawrence, I'll post these answers here so people can see them, and give you an e-mail about our FL trip.

The V600 cradle is not available now, buggy or not, Mercedes stopped selling it due to the bugs. So the issues don't matter too much, the real problem is that it is unavailable.

Center console kit prices are going to vary on the type of console people want. With installation of a rear screen monitor, the center console is slightly cheaper. We only want to sell these kits installed because of some issues with the wiring. We would like to make sure it's all installed correctly. Prices start at around $500 and shipping will have to be extra because of the size.

The phone sits much nicer in the old-style console.

-s-
Old 12-15-2004, 11:20 AM

E55 Flint Grey/Merlot
I purchased a new V600 and cradle from the Dealer last night. I was told the bugs have been worked out. Will try it today to see.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vitaman
I purchased a new V600 and cradle from the Dealer last night. I was told the bugs have been worked out. Will try it today to see.
We're talking about UHI & V600, which is not available.

-s-
Old 12-15-2004, 02:36 PM
mhh

2012 MB E63 Wagon, 2012 BMW M5, 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2010 Ferrari 458
All I can say is bring on bluetooth....
Old 12-15-2004, 03:28 PM

Soon to be E500
Which gets me to another question...
Would it be better for me to get the installed voice act/hands free and modify it later (UHI), or get no phone system installed and start from scratch?
Thanks
Old 12-15-2004, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Which gets me to another question...
Would it be better for me to get the installed voice act/hands free and modify it later (UHI), or get no phone system installed and start from scratch?
Thanks
That's not another question, that's the same question, and is answered in post #5 in this thread.

-s-
Old 12-16-2004, 05:25 AM

'04 E500
Why Don't We Have Bluetooth Or A Bt Retrofit Capability For These Cars!

Audi Now Has It On The C6 Platform A6, And Acura Already Has It On The Tl's And Mdx's. What A Joke!
Old 12-16-2004, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PCH_4.2
Why Don't We Have Bluetooth Or A Bt Retrofit Capability For These Cars!

Audi Now Has It On The C6 Platform A6, And Acura Already Has It On The Tl's And Mdx's. What A Joke!
I am not sure which of "these cars" you're referring to... but I definitely have Bluetooth in my car (and it was retrofit). You might want to search the forums for things that you're interested in.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/87642-uhi-installed-pictures.html

-s-