E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Phone Conversation heard outside car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phone Conversation heard outside car

The part of the conversation which comes through the speakers (the person you are talking to) can be heard outside the car very clearly 20/30 feet away.
Of course distance depends on the volume. The sound comes out of the 4 door speakers.

Dealer let me check another car 2004 E class and the same thing.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?
Old 02-03-2005, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Can't you just simply turn down the speaker volume?????
Old 02-04-2005, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I will try it out when I call my stock broker to set some positions in the futures market. Maybe I can get some false hype going on and create some profitable fake market movements!

I have most of the phone sound come out of the center speaker (where the center vents are), there is some kind of setting to mess with when in the phone menu. But I will try and see if that is true. I will post later.

Steve
Old 02-04-2005, 12:10 AM

No, not if I want to comfortably hear the phone inside the car.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:24 AM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by dfcd
The part of the conversation which comes through the speakers (the person you are talking to) can be heard outside the car very clearly 20/30 feet away.
Of course distance depends on the volume. The sound comes out of the 4 door speakers.

Dealer let me check another car 2004 E class and the same thing.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?
Are you saying that the E lacks proper soundproofing? Based on the minimal road noise during driving, I would take issue with this statement.

Besides, if you want a private conversation in an office, you wouldn't use a speakerphone, would you?

Anyway, most time spent on a car phone is when the car is moving, and I surely doubt if any passing motorist can hear your conversation.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by MadManAboutTown
Are you saying that the E lacks proper soundproofing? Based on the minimal road noise during driving, I would take issue with this statement.

Besides, if you want a private conversation in an office, you wouldn't use a speakerphone, would you?

Anyway, most time spent on a car phone is when the car is moving, and I surely doubt if any passing motorist can hear your conversation.
I didn't mention soundproofiing, but it is probably designed to keep noise from coming into the car.

In my closed office I shut the door and the speaker phone can be used with privacy.

I'll have to remember to only talk on the phone when the car is moving, thanks for your help.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 S63 COUPE
Quote:

This is ridiculous. you should not be able to hear this outside the car.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:33 PM

2004 E500
I didn't mention soundproofiing, but it is probably designed to keep noise from coming into the car.

In my closed office I shut the door and the speaker phone can be used with privacy.

I'll have to remember to only talk on the phone when the car is moving, thanks for your help.
You are a smart ***, and your points are absurd. Net - it is obvious that if your speaker volume (whether phone- or car-sourced) is way too loud, anyone can hear it from 20 - 30 feet away.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:52 AM

2004 E55 AMG
20-30 feet.. wow.. how bad would it be if your wife rang up and was shouting at you
Old 02-06-2005, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
You are a smart ***, and your points are absurd. Net - it is obvious that if your speaker volume (whether phone- or car-sourced) is way too loud, anyone can hear it from 20 - 30 feet away.
Just as one can hear the music that most people listen to in their cars (and it doesn't have to be terribly loud in most cases).

-s-
Old 05-11-2006, 06:53 PM

You have no intention of helping. You just like to hear yourself talk.
When I caught you, you resort to name calling.

If you have nothing of value to contribute - shut up.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:27 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
It's the special "NSA" mod present in all new cars.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Originally Posted by chem0
20-30 feet.. wow.. how bad would it be if your wife rang up and was shouting at you
lmao i got those before !!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:00 AM
Almost a Member!

2004 E320 with AMG bodykit
I didn't mention soundproofing, but it is probably designed to keep noise from coming into the car.
Sound proofing can not be limited in one direction! If it was designed to be completely sound proof you wouldn't be able to hear what's outside nor would anyone outside be able to hear you.

I think that the vehicle was intentionally designed with a certain level of sound proofing: enough to comfortably shield off traffic noise while at the same time keep you aware of important things outside (honking of cars when you cut in front of someone by mistake!).

I don't think it would be much of a design challenge for MB engineers to completely shield out noise. The question is: Would it be safe? Answer: No

With that in mind, I think it was the right choice. Safety is of a higher priority than Privacy.. Besides, you can always turn off hands-free when you're at standstill (more privacy) but you can never "reduce" sound proofing when you're on the go!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:15 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
dfcd:

Getting back on topic.. yes, I have noticed that phone conversations are audible outside of the vehicle as well.

However, unlike music, which typically sounds distorted and other than the beat you can't make out much of anything else; voice conversations are quite clear from outside the vehicle, that is, the remote person's portion is clear, the local portion is barely audible from outside.

I've had many private, business conversations using the hands free phone while stationary (need to take notes, so it's not wise to be driving) and my only resort has been to reduce the volume so as to minimize the outwardbound effect.

Now, admittedly, I find myself tweaking the volume frequently during a single conversation (especially when I notice that a passerby might be able to listen in), but then again, I've gotten used to it.

Come to think of it, perhaps this might be alleviated by changing the [SOUND] setting for the phone to [VOICE] instead of [STEREO] or [LOGIC 7]? I'll have to try that.

All-in-all though, as AMG-Fanatic states: saftey takes precedence over privacy.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Try rolling the window up.