E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Jalopnik First Drive: 2010 E-Class

Old 05-08-2009, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Jalopnik First Drive: 2010 E-Class

Now its Jalopnik's turn to the drive the new car. Article here: http://jalopnik.com/5245680/2010-mer...an-first-drive
Old 05-08-2009, 05:13 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Eh, I think the other reviews on the car are more insightful, looks like he was just writing all the things M-B would want him too, and listing all its technical wizardry all over the place.

Once again it looks like the Comments from people are mostly all negative toward the car. Also, this car is VERY sensitive toward what package it has, i.e it needs big wheels and an AMG kit to look okay IMO, this version they gave them just looks clunky in some pics and shows off what IMO are its Korean elements.

....Him saying it will age well couldn't be further from the truth IMO, I know only time will tell, but I am marking my own words, this will be the least gracefully aging M-B Sedan of recent times....
Old 05-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Wig

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E300 4Matic sedan 2018 E400 4Matic coupe
Originally Posted by K-A
Eh, I think the other reviews on the car are more insightful, looks like he was just writing all the things M-B would want him too, and listing all its technical wizardry all over the place.

Once again it looks like the Comments from people are mostly all negative toward the car. Also, this car is VERY sensitive toward what package it has, i.e it needs big wheels and an AMG kit to look okay IMO, this version they gave them just looks clunky in some pics and shows off what IMO are its Korean elements.

....Him saying it will age well couldn't be further from the truth IMO, I know only time will tell, but I am marking my own words, this will be the least gracefully aging M-B Sedan of recent times....
K-A. I'm amazed that you're not bored of criticizing the W212 yet.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:38 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Wig
K-A. I'm amazed that you're not bored of criticizing the W212 yet.
I am too.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 (W212) 2010
Originally Posted by K-A
I am too.
Tastes vary. But Jalopnik got it exactly right when he described the "feel" of the car.

Back in the day when W210 came out there were a LOT of folks like you who were chewing it up. Complaining... A lot.

When W211 came out I, for example, abstained from it altogether because I did not like it inside. I tried getting into W211 three times over the course of roughly 5 years and every time I thought it was not right. I actually thought that it felt fake....lexusy

Some on this forum say that W212 feels cheap inside. As a person whose family had two W124s, and who himself had W210, I beg to differ. It does not look cheap to me at all!

I remember when my dad brought home W124. I was so impressed. I loved the feel of the seats, door handles, that orange color so unique to MB, etc etc. Well, it seems that W212 is bringing back those memories very methodically.

It seems to me that MB is doing something right and nothing can stop the tide. Not even clever postings by Hyundai secret agents
Old 05-09-2009, 03:05 PM

E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
I love the looks of those seats that are a throw back to the days of what I think were the "real Benzes". I also like the contrasting colors on the inside. If it has the cheap feeling plastic of the C class it's going to be a buzz kill.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:16 PM

'12 ML350
I admit I was very apprehensive about the car when I saw the launch pictures like many others, but I reserved my judgment until seeing the car in person...and I'm glad I did.

In person, and in white which isn't one of my favourite colours, I am now very keen on the car - but the caveat is it needs the Sports package to give it the right aesthetic tone. Inside, I feel the quality of most of the material and the design is an improvement over the W211 in my garage right now. Both the E550 and the E63 I sat in seem to exude a higher overall quality in sense of looks and feel.

And just last weekend I saw an E550 coupe out in the wild with the manufacturer's NJ tag when we were out having a burger and I really liked it. It had the Sports package and though in the plain ol' silver colour, it looked both contemporary and vintage at the same time offering some of the W124 era solidity in its presence.

I'm seriously considering the W212 when my E63 lease ends next year, though I'll probably not get another AMG and will likely opt for the E550 RWD or 4matic with the Sports package.

I also saw a Jaguar XFR up close and personal (grey exterior with red leather interior, very sleek...) recently and that is one very neat piece of kit, never been a huge fan of Jaguar but I'll likely weigh that car in the R or 5.0 version against the W212 when the time comes.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:21 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
If it has the cheap feeling plastic of the C class it's going to be a buzz kill.
That is one of the things that I'm very eager to see. Everyone has a different taste in regards to what's "quality" and a different level of what to expect, I personally think the C-Classes interior is an abomination, so if the E's looks or feels anything like it, and even if I did somehow love the exterior in person, I think it would probably be a deal-breaker....

Originally Posted by chekaldin
Tastes vary. But Jalopnik got it exactly right when he described the "feel" of the car.

Back in the day when W210 came out there were a LOT of folks like you who were chewing it up. Complaining... A lot.

When W211 came out I, for example, abstained from it altogether because I did not like it inside. I tried getting into W211 three times over the course of roughly 5 years and every time I thought it was not right. I actually thought that it felt fake....lexusy

Some on this forum say that W212 feels cheap inside. As a person whose family had two W124s, and who himself had W210, I beg to differ. It does not look cheap to me at all!

I remember when my dad brought home W124. I was so impressed. I loved the feel of the seats, door handles, that orange color so unique to MB, etc etc. Well, it seems that W212 is bringing back those memories very methodically.

It seems to me that MB is doing something right and nothing can stop the tide. Not even clever postings by Hyundai secret agents
Exactly, tastes do vary. I think this E will be the most polarizing Sedan M-B has ever made, as if you see the reviews by people (who have even seen it) and the comments on Websites, you see one of two extremes, either people saying the car is a huge improvement (no contest technologically of course, but I'm speaking on refinement-quality and style) over the 211, and people who say that it's a big step back.

I love M-B's history but in the 80's and 90's when I was a wee-lad, I found a lot of models too boring, I personally got my interest sparked when the W210-220-211 models came out (I liked all of them upon first view) and took the styling into a much sexier and elegantly sleek direction, which I guess is why this return to the 80's in terms of inspiration isn't all too much my cup of tea.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 PM

E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
Originally Posted by rkao
I'm seriously considering the W212 when my E63 lease ends next year, though I'll probably not get another AMG and will likely opt for the E550 RWD or 4matic with the Sports package.
I'm curious why you wouldn't buy another AMG? I tend to like the normal V8's as a better daily car but I haven't owned an AMG long term.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:59 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
I'm curious why you wouldn't buy another AMG? I tend to like the normal V8's as a better daily car but I haven't owned an AMG long term.
Though I've not yet decided completely against another AMG, I am leaning away from it because of the following factors:

Being in northern NJ within metro NY area, the traffic volume, road quality and the enthusiasm of law enforcement agencies mean that my opportunities to enjoy an AMG regularly are few and far in between - I got a ticket for 41 in a 25 just before Christmas and that annoyed me to no end... So an E550 should be just as good to drive 90-95% of the times I'm behind the wheel of my daily driver...but I shall miss those 5% moments!

Therefore, the cost per enjoyment quotient has been very high in the time I've had my E63 though I admit I get a smirk on my face each and every time I start that motor. Plus with my businesses being in challenging environments these last 18 months and probably have another 18-24 months to go, I'm also trying to be more conscientious with my discretionary spendings.

Oh, and having a second child due in August is also sobering me to the responsibilities...

Lastly, going completely counter to my goal to be responsible, I'm missing having a 3rd car as a toy and my wife misses having a convertible - so I'm also considering an M3 convertible, which has the back seat for the kids of course, as my next motoring indulgence so a 'normal' daily driver would make more sense for us. Can't quite splurge for a 997S cabriolet so an M3 with the folding hard top will have to do.

And having not had a track car for these last 2 years, I'm also considering buying something like an RS America or E46 M3 so I can return to instructing at the BMW CCA and/or PCA driving schools again - had an E36 M3 that was basically an I-Prepared class club racer with a trailer that I sold because it had not seen the light of day for over 2 years.

Sorry for the long reply, it's like I was writing out loud to convince myself that not having an AMG next is going to be just fine!
Old 05-11-2009, 06:11 PM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by rkao
Though I've not yet decided completely against another AMG, I am leaning away from it because of the following factors:

Being in northern NJ within metro NY area, the traffic volume, road quality and the enthusiasm of law enforcement agencies mean that my opportunities to enjoy an AMG regularly are few and far in between - I got a ticket for 41 in a 25 just before Christmas and that annoyed me to no end... So an E550 should be just as good to drive 90-95% of the times I'm behind the wheel of my daily driver...but I shall miss those 5% moments!
That is exactly the same reasoning I have. When I lived in the city I had an M5 for the weekends and it was great. Then got married and moved to the 'burds and with all the pothole riddled roads I felt like the fillings were falling out of my teeth every day driving to work. Sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in a thirsty car with manual transmission was not my cup of tea. And having an M badge does not exactly say "I obey the traffic laws" around where I live. My past two cars were E350s and I'm much happier that the cops don't notice me and also the fact that I arrive at my destination fresh as a daisy. Maybe my next car will be a 550 but definately not an AMG. I prefer 4matics since we can get some nasty weather around here.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:44 PM

What is the reason that the sedan no longer has a shifter between the front seats where it belongs? I know that it is there on the coupe and the upcoming AMG.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by chairman
What is the reason that the sedan no longer has a shifter between the front seats where it belongs? I know that it is there on the coupe and the upcoming AMG.
It's a style thing. It gives the appearance of the cabin being more upscale with the shifter mounted next to the steering column. Rolls Royce and all Bentleys (if I remember correctly) have their gear selectors mounted on the steering column. In the E Coupe its in the middle because its a sporty car. I think I will like it mounted on the steering column because it will free up some space between the driver and the passenger giving the cabin a more "continuous" look/feel. I once had a ML loaner that had it mounted on the steering column also and once I got used to it I managed to work it without having to think twice about it.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:54 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by chairman
I don't mind the new location of these steering column mounted gear selector either.

On the W221 S550 4matic I had ordered before changing to the E63, it was pretty simple to use and it was second nature after a couple of test drives.

And on the 750Li that my parents own, it's pretty intuitive - even for my parents in their late 60's who still have some trouble with iDrive features after two years of ownership.

Either setup is fine, as long as the gearbox the selector is attached to is a good one!