Anyone else disappointed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:05 PM
mhh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 MB E63 Wagon, 2012 BMW M5, 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2010 Ferrari 458
Anyone else disappointed?

I haven't driven the new E yet, but after waiting 5 years to replace my E500 wagon, I'm underwhelmed at what I've seen in the showroom. With all this time to update the model, the advances seems slight. The interior looks cheaper than before, the styling is OK at best, there is no new engine excitement etc etc.

I was hoping for more. I'll wait and see what the E63 Wagon is like but I've lost the desire to update.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
It is hard to offer something totally new at current technology stay point. I like new E. Very good interior improvements with keeping driving and exterior impression up with previous model. Test drive one, I do not promise any surprises, however you can think better after.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:59 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Anyone who's been here more than a day knows that I agree with you. I was very underwhelmed as I was expecting the next E to be something great, as the W211 set the bar high.

I think the interior is overall a downgrade from an elegance/refinement/styling standpoint, and of course the exterior is even more subjective, yet I'm still not into that overall, although it does have a few pretty decent angles.

Where it shines is in its driving, it's no night and day difference from the W211, but it does everything a little bit better. I'd been toying with the thought of getting one, and I'd really like to keep myself in an M-B, but I just can't fall in love with the thing enough. Maybe as a DD one of these days.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Design is always subjective, some will like it, some will hate it. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the interior of my C when I got it, but it eventually grows on you to the point where older models seem ancient. The E class has went to the updated look and I can see how those traditionalists will cry foul, but products, especially cars, need to keep up to date or die off.

I've spent some time in the new E and its a vast improvement over the old car inside and out. The same can't be said for the competition such as BMW, for some reason they can redo a car from top to bottom and still insist on putting one of the worst interior experiences found in an automobile. What's with putting speakers in the doors that look like you paid the neighbor kid next door to put in?

There are however a few nit picks about the new E that could be addressed and frankly probably will in the coming years. The same thing happened with the C class at launch, to keep the price point the same as the outgoing model some features were skipped and later added, but that also resulted in a price increase. Guess the best advice would be, if you don't like it, don't buy it, after all your the one that has to drive it.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
I'm disappointed w/the rear end styling, I've said it a hundred times. However the car overall seems nicer. The new '10 E I drove felt very well assembled, tight, and responsive. The dual clutch MCT tranny in the '10 E63 should be very exciting as well.

The wonderful part is that the '07-'09 211 E classes will continue to fade in price, especially w/a new body style out now. That means we can cherry pick the 211s we want with low miles for a few more years.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
I actually like the new C over the old C vs I like the old E over the new E (exterior design wise for both). The C is very aggressive and it drove very well IMO. Firm, but way more comfortable than our previous 07 C230 sport. The C300 was pretty quick and the 350 was just great in that department. Even though I'm not a big fan on the looks of the E (more so the coupe than the sedan), I'm sure it drives better than a W211 in regards to throttle response, tranny operation (non of that 2 > 1 jump stuff hopefully), and other things of that nature. I think I'm gonna go drive one for a good feel of it. However, I really don't think I will ever like the coupe. The sedan I could get used to.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:30 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by gaazmon
I actually like the new C over the old C vs I like the old E over the new E (exterior design wise for both). The C is very aggressive and it drove very well IMO. Firm, but way more comfortable than our previous 07 C230 sport. The C300 was pretty quick and the 350 was just great in that department. Even though I'm not a big fan on the looks of the E (more so the coupe than the sedan), I'm sure it drives better than a W211 in regards to throttle response, tranny operation (non of that 2 > 1 jump stuff hopefully), and other things of that nature. I think I'm gonna go drive one for a good feel of it. However, I really don't think I will ever like the coupe. The sedan I could get used to.
That's weird. The '07 C I drove felt a lot more comfortable, luxurious, and quiet than the numerous W204's I've driven. Along with that, I found the overall interior of the W203 to be leagues above what's in the W204, and to be overall a lot less "harsh".

204 is definitely sportier though, handles better, and it feels like the car is solid as hell.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
That's weird. The '07 C I drove felt a lot more comfortable, luxurious, and quiet than the numerous W204's I've driven. Along with that, I found the overall interior of the W203 to be leagues above what's in the W204, and to be overall a lot less "harsh".

204 is definitely sportier though, handles better, and it feels like the car is solid as hell.
Idk, my sister's 07 C230 sport was pretty bad when it came to seat comfort.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
There are lots of them populating the taxi ranks in Germany.

Many interior parts are shared with C class. IMO look like a late 90's Hyundai ultra luxury attempt with a Star in the grill. Wheels are too small on most trim packages. Rear end / tail lights look like a Hyundai copy

This body need some redesign - simply looks like they built it the cheapest way possible. It is understandable since a majority of E class production will start out as taxis or mid level corp cars on 2 year leases and end their lives as taxis.

Get the most expensive one with the biggest wheels if you must and never travel to Germany afterward.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:05 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by whiteongrey
Get the most expensive one with the biggest wheels if you must and never travel to Germany afterward.
Haha. This is one of the reasons I've always been apprehensive to go to Germany.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 124 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
There are lots of them populating the taxi ranks in Germany.

Many interior parts are shared with C class. IMO look like a late 90's Hyundai ultra luxury attempt with a Star in the grill. Wheels are too small on most trim packages. Rear end / tail lights look like a Hyundai copy

This body need some redesign - simply looks like they built it the cheapest way possible. It is understandable since a majority of E class production will start out as taxis or mid level corp cars on 2 year leases and end their lives as taxis.

The wisdom from Alberta. I would suggest you drive a W212 and tell us if it is a Hyundai with a star.

Last edited by petee1997; 09-17-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:21 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Disapointed? Well yes...

Saw another new sedan today at the grocery store parking lot and the remark I made to myself was "hmmm, that's a pretty darn nice looking C Class" until I got closer and saw it was the new E sedan. This new model simply mirrors the look of the current C, and too closely for comfort imho.

I never really liked the new coupe much and posted when it first came out how much I disliked the little side rear cheater windows...these things were added because many CLK women drivers (a fairly large % of CLK drivers are women, especially 350’s and 350 cab’s) complained there was too much of a blind spot there with the previous last two series of clks (208's and 209's)...MB caved on the W209 and made the side rear window area much large over the 208's especially since the 209 became pillarless but the new model has simply taken it too far. I've always loved pillarless coupes and have owned a few, but I prefer them not to be interrupted by any distractions that break up the flow.

My Carrera S lease is ending in a few more months and I was hoping for a 63 new E coupe and when I heard there would be none it only added to my disappointment.

The positive news is the new cab will not have the cheater's and it could end up looking quite lovely...we'll soon see.

Last edited by RJC; 09-17-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:56 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
--
lol. I went the biggest rim route as well, factory rim at least. I'm taking delivery of a black on black E63, black ash wood, 19" rims, panoramic roof, driver's assistance, parktronic

Anyway, I'll be getting the car Oct 15th I'm told. Once I do, I'll blast you guys with some hi-res shots of the car in black. The only ones I've seen to date can be seen here: http://www.germancarzone.com/e-class...vealed-40.html

and here: http://www.germancarzone.com/e-class...vealed-36.html

thanks to the folks in that board, very nice group of guys

Last edited by bonboon; 09-18-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
MB really needs to update their 350 engine. At 62K for a nicely equipped E the only think that would hold me back is the engine.

3 liter twin turbo from BMW in the same slot as the 350 models from benz is a vast improvement over what MB has to offer. Even Audi has update the turbo engines in their A6.

For the current times, the E350 is too weak in terms of performance for the price (keeping the competitors in mind)

I like the new E. The rear styling is a bit japanese and the interior while everything is in place and ergonomically efficient, it lack a certain touch of luxury

This is a great car that will do what it claims to (daily driver) well. It lacks the agresssive presence of the C and the sense of occasion that the S has.

I fear that MB has lost it's design direction.....and then they throw something like the SLS out, Go figure!!!!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
Haha. This is one of the reasons I've always been apprehensive to go to Germany.
+1.

RJC, I love those W208's. My friend just got a W208 320 and it is beautiful. I can see how many women complained about the blind spots with not having the pillarless coupe thing. You guys know, that even a 650 coupe isn't pillarless? I was surprised when I saw that, thought for all the money you pay you should be able to role the back windows down. I think the pillarless design is great. I just don't get it with the new E coupe being pillarless but still have a piece of fixed glass
Old 09-18-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 GLE 450 4Matic, 2018 Jaguar F-Type R Convertible
Originally Posted by LETO
MB really needs to update their 350 engine. At 62K for a nicely equipped E the only think that would hold me back is the engine.

This is a great car that will do what it claims to (daily driver) well. It lacks the agresssive presence of the C and the sense of occasion that the S has.
You must be a writer or a poet - that "aggressive presence" and "sense of occasion" is pretty good stuff!

I want a car that:
looks sharp and isn't too big
has some panache
gets 35 mpg
goes 0-60 in 4.0 sec
carries big screen TVs and lumber home in the trunk
carries five or six people
is a hardtop convertible
has all-wheel drive
has nice interior

Sadly that car doesn't exist. The E350 sedan however, meets a nice compromise. The C is certainly sportier, but too small for me, the S is too big and sucks too much gas, but the E-class porridge is just right. Sharp, sexy, and refined.

Agreed that the motor isn't that strong. I had this same 350 in my 2006 SLK - that was a good match in a 3200 lb car vs the 3800 lb E350. I just traded in a Chrysler 300C Hemi - I loved the growl and the acceleration. But I hated the gas mileage. After a while, the buzz from spirited driving fell away to the pitiful gas mileage around town and on the 30 minute ride home on the freeway. I don't mind having the improved gas mileage one bit. BTW, I understand that women are more impressed now with the guy with the hybrid than with the guy with the high horsepower car

This is a sharp car in many people's eyes, in particular mine, carries some panache, although not like the S, but now I have a midsize sedan with fold-down rear seats to make the car into a pick-up truck, it'll go in the snow, the interior and the sound system are first-rate. I'll pick up a Z4 in the spring and have my folding hardtop, and I'm all set.

So Mercedes offered a product that I certainly wanted to buy. I prefer it over all their other products. In fact, I preferred it over all other car makers' products as well, as evidenced by the fact that I bought one. I'm a sample size number of 1, but I think the car is smokin' !
Old 09-18-2009, 07:27 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by LETO

3 liter twin turbo from BMW in the same slot as the 350 models from benz is a vast improvement over what MB has to offer. Even Audi has update the turbo engines in their A6.

For the current times, the E350 is too weak in terms of performance for the price (keeping the competitors in mind)

I like the new E. The rear styling is a bit japanese and the interior while everything is in place and ergonomically efficient, it lack a certain touch of luxury

I fear that MB has lost it's design direction.....and then they throw something like the SLS out, Go figure!!!!
Agreed.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by geoaero
BTW, I understand that women are more impressed now with the guy with the hybrid than with the guy with the high horsepower car
F*ck that. Well at least in LA, the coast, and urban cities that much is true You gotta love what 21st century liberalism does to the American mind. I would never buy a hybrid. I was behind a Lexus LS600h today and must say nothing really impressed me. Just a lot of flash and chrome, but nothing to backup up what you say with it. You can buy a decently performing car nowadays and get good mileage for something with performance. I mean the 335/535 is a great example.

Next time a girl says something when I drive my 06 yukon denali, I'll just tell her "at least it wasn't my idea to stop all the water going to the san joaquin valley, causing a 40% unemployment rate there with 40K+ farmers out of jobs and now food prices over the country gonna go up just because some fish were getting stuck in the water pipes."

Last edited by gaazmon; 09-18-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:23 AM

2010 E350 4Matic w/sport package
More power to you guys who are willing to buy a new E63 with the way it looks compared to the 211. I am still really annoyed with the back end and feels to me like it is nothing more than a Hyundai rear end on a C-class front end on steroids which btw, C-class front end is nothing to complain about.

Also as far as the E350, yeah MB needs to wake up on more than just design I mean even the new Acura TL has 300HP and this 268HP crap is not cutting it any more.

Oh well I am 90% sure I am getting the 2010 E350W4 but not 100% happy. I looked into the BMW 550 with M sport package but the 5 series are gross especially from the back. Another car company that has the lower models (335's) that look better than the more expensive 5's. Just like the C' vs E's.

If the new E had a more aggressive rear end I would be almost 100% satisfied, add in 300HP and I am a happy camper.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 GLE 450 4Matic, 2018 Jaguar F-Type R Convertible
Speaking of a car company losing its design way, be happy that Mercedes didn't destroy the looks of the E like BMW did to the 5 Series. That's a car whose looks I can't warm up to at all.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:23 AM

2009 Toyota Highlander, 2007 BMW 3-series
Not really understanding everyone down on the new E from a design perspective. The fenders mimic the S class, the B pillar back mimics the S class, especially how it looks on the flanks and how it looks like the sled the S-class has become. And it seems the S-class is universally loved. As far as interiors go the last generation E class always reminded of the old 90's cadillac interiors and look ridiculously cheap and old fashioned and the new interior is a revelation and beautiful. Sounds to me like people with the old model just wish they had the new one. The front of the car, while polarizing, is just an evolution of the previous sedan with a now even more efficient drag rating. With the exception of the rear taillights, I think the new design is more cohesive, generally more beautiful, and borrows heavily from the S-class, while providing a richer, more ergonomically pleasing interior.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:16 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Enthusiast1
Not really understanding everyone down on the new E from a design perspective. The fenders mimic the S class, the B pillar back mimics the S class, especially how it looks on the flanks and how it looks like the sled the S-class has become. And it seems the S-class is universally loved. As far as interiors go the last generation E class always reminded of the old 90's cadillac interiors and look ridiculously cheap and old fashioned and the new interior is a revelation and beautiful. Sounds to me like people with the old model just wish they had the new one. The front of the car, while polarizing, is just an evolution of the previous sedan with a now even more efficient drag rating. With the exception of the rear taillights, I think the new design is more cohesive, generally more beautiful, and borrows heavily from the S-class, while providing a richer, more ergonomically pleasing interior.
Man, funny how opinion can vary so much.

I think using "cohesive" with the new E is as mismatched as you can get. One thing the W211 is is very cohesive and "organic". I can post multiple pictures showing how the angular lines of the W212 when looked at from certain angles or up close show off how non-cohesive it is, actually I think it's M-B's most "messy" car ever, yet as the same time, one of the sharpest (literally) and "tightest" they've made as well.

Have you sat in both? The interior can be subjective, but the materials in the W212 in no way are better than the W211's, and it is a step down in elegance and refinement, areas where the 211 used soft carpet for example, the W212 uses plastic or harder rubber, etc. I don't know how a 211's compares to an old Cadillac's . The W212's interior has in fact been said to look "futuristic 70's".

I like the W221, and the new E does resemble it, where it misses is in the general "Mercedes"-esque fanciness and class the S has, the E is taughter, and more aggressive, but also is has a Korean/Japanese "durability/tough" essence to it that IMO cheapens the look a bit. The roof is very squared and formal, not as round or sweeping and classy as the 221's and 211's, which also is why I like the 221 more than it.

I don't hate the W212 as much as I once did, and appreciate what it is, but just being realistic.

Last edited by K-A; 09-20-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:20 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by geoaero
Speaking of a car company losing its design way, be happy that Mercedes didn't destroy the looks of the E like BMW did to the 5 Series. That's a car whose looks I can't warm up to at all.
I agree, I'm not into the E60, it has its good angles but it's overall far too much a messy design. Have you seen the spy pics of the next gen (F10?) looks like it's refining and honing in the direction they started with the E60.

Originally Posted by DieselNY
More power to you guys who are willing to buy a new E63 with the way it looks compared to the 211. I am still really annoyed with the back end and feels to me like it is nothing more than a Hyundai rear end on a C-class front end on steroids which btw, C-class front end is nothing to complain about.

Also as far as the E350, yeah MB needs to wake up on more than just design I mean even the new Acura TL has 300HP and this 268HP crap is not cutting it any more.

Oh well I am 90% sure I am getting the 2010 E350W4 but not 100% happy. I looked into the BMW 550 with M sport package but the 5 series are gross especially from the back. Another car company that has the lower models (335's) that look better than the more expensive 5's. Just like the C' vs E's.

If the new E had a more aggressive rear end I would be almost 100% satisfied, add in 300HP and I am a happy camper.
I feel your pain. Fortunately I didn't Lease my E so I don't have to make a tough decision at the moment. Have you checked out the Jag XF? Pretty damn nice car.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:24 PM

2009 Toyota Highlander, 2007 BMW 3-series
[QUOTE=K-A;3724963]Man, funny how opinion can vary so much.

I think using "cohesive" with the new E is as mismatched as you can get. One thing the W211 is is very cohesive and "organic". I can post multiple pictures showing how the angular lines of the W212 when looked at from certain angles or up close show off how non-cohesive it is, actually I think it's M-B's most "messy" car ever, yet as the same time, one of the sharpest (literally) and "tightest" they've made as well.

Have you sat in both? The interior can be subjective, but the materials in the W212 in no way are better than the W211's, and it is a step down in elegance and refinement, areas where the 211 used soft carpet for example, the W212 uses plastic or harder rubber, etc. I don't know how a 211's compares to an old Cadillac's . The W212's interior has in fact been said to look "futuristic 70's".

I can equally post as many pictures of the W211 and portray how it isn't necessarily cohesive as well. I believe that with the exception of the taillights, which essentially mimic the look of two generations ago, the overall design flows very well.

I have spent considerable time in both and the new elegance and refinement in luxury automobiles these days is technology, just look at any Audi. I'm not sure how carpeting makes anything more luxurious, much like I don't feel that way when I step onto the hardwood floors of my house and wish they were carpeted. I feel that the interior of the W211 is something my grandfather would love, but I simply think the W212 interior is more visually appealing and equally luxurious.

I don't feel the design is cheapened in anyway, just feel like it's the natural brand evolution. I feel that this new design can finally attract younger buyers as they've wanted to do for years. Overall I feel that the the new design is a step up from the old one in nearly every way.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by Enthusiast1
"Sounds to me like people with the old model just wish they had the new one."

It's this kind of garbage that is totally unnecessary. We can disagree on subjective issues such as auto design, flavor of ice cream, or choice of running shoes, etc.. And we can talk about our views, our differences, etc..

But when people add these weird personal attacks, it's totally uncalled for. Petee1997 did the same thing in an earlier post: "I think K-A and certainly 220S are sorry they are stuck with dated models."

(fwiw, I specifically bought a new W211 2009 E63 in May of this year only because I much preferred the body style over the new version. Plus I thought I'd wait until a few years to see how the new model fares out there in the real world. I could have easily ordered a new W212. I work in the recession proof film industry and can afford pretty much anything right now, but I made my choice with all options available. I bought the car knowing the W212 was here already.)

It's fine to praise or dismiss the W212, it's just a car. But there's no reason to act like a schoolboy with these kind of comments. What's the point? To make yourself feel good?

Let's stick to talking about the car and voice our opinions and agree or disagree, but stop with the snide personal remarks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone else disappointed?