E550 slammed! (NOT on purpose!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by emilner
My problem is mostly that I am coming from a 211 E550, which was spot on and nearly flawless. If this was my first 550 I would probably chaulk most of this up to 'different car quirks'. But I can't b/c they are new from the old model. I also seem to have a VERY early build car- april, which might be some of the problem. I don't know, just venting...

I like the new 5, I hated the last melted block of cheese one. I don't know about the hood, looks like a bit wavy- but I will reserve judgement until I see it in person. They also fixed the other thing I could not stand about BMW's- the drab 80's interiors. Just judging from the pictures MB is going to get pounded. hard.
Hope things can get resolved. I got my W211 when the W212 was already available. I'm not a person who's keen on getting the latest thing and feel more comfortable with tried and tested. But that's just me.

But the Airmatic in the rear is basically the same as the W211. And also the 7-GTronic tranny. And the motor. The rest is new. Maybe the old parts don't fit into the new chassis quite right... LOL j/k....

Despite what people think, Airmatic was not a "known issue" with the W211. MB has been using Airmatic for a while now and not just on the E Class. The problem is that if a strut fails, it can leave you on the side of the road unlike a standard strut suspension (and they fail, too.) Plus MB isn't the only mfg to use air suspension (think Range Rover, as an example.)

The big issue is that when if it does leak, that it gets attended to since the pump can burn out (trying to fill the shocks.) Just keep an eye on the system. Plus most failures are connected to hit big potholes (streets suk here compared to Germany.)

I was hesitant about Airmatic at first but I asked several MB indie mechanics and owners of MB airmatic and realized the ratio of failure to cars sold and on the road is very small. Plus the system has been improved upon with current versions.

Anyway, I hope the car starts acting like expected. It's a drag to buy new and have this happen. But I agree that the BMW F10 has just set the new standard. And I'm not talking so much in appearance as I am in performance.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s
Better to have it done now while it is new and under warrenty. Sorry to hear this. Bring it to a Benz dealer. They will take care of it under warrenty and ask them for a loaner. If it makes you feel any better my aunt just got a 2010 Toyota and had to have it towed 3 times already . Good luck

Last edited by C280 Sport; 12-01-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 998 Likes on 730 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
The thing for me that is disappointing about this story is that Mercedes was supposedly improving the quality of the E Class. This sounds like a setback in that regard.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
The steering is WAY too light at speed!! I mean it is TWITCHY. The car can hold the same G's in a corner give or take, but you have to be spot on to look good. The slightest mm of movement in the steering wheel mid corner results in a large movement on the car (as you know in a hard corner its impossible to keep the wheel perfectly still). The wheel needs a little resistence to makes things more fluid. Thay may have did it to make the car more responsive, but they missed the mark.
I really hate how Mercedes is lightening up the steering of the newer cars. Its like they are trying to dilute the breeding of the car. People can complain about the sluggish response of the W211 but at least it feels like a Mercedes. The light weight of the W204 steering is one of my bigger objections to that car as well. I totally agree that it makes the car more difficult to position. I didn't notice it so much on the W212 but I wasn't driving it very hard either.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:42 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Agreed. I love heavy-ish steering feelings. I like my 211's a bit more than the F.L 211's actually, I think mine is plenty light, but still retains that heavy-ish, confident feeling.

Fact is all the soccer moms who buy M-B's need it to be supremely light so it doesn't strain their arms when maneuvering around grocery store parking lots, so many of us have to suffer.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
My problem is mostly that I am coming from a 211 E550, which was spot on and nearly flawless. If this was my first 550 I would probably chaulk most of this up to 'different car quirks'. But I can't b/c they are new from the old model. I also seem to have a VERY early build car- april, which might be some of the problem. I don't know, just venting...

I like the new 5, I hated the last melted block of cheese one. I don't know about the hood, looks like a bit wavy- but I will reserve judgement until I see it in person. They also fixed the other thing I could not stand about BMW's- the drab 80's interiors. Just judging from the pictures MB is going to get pounded. hard.
Sorry about your problems. I'm not a big fan of the 211. It's pretty drab.

As everyone gushes about new models, be it the 5 or the 212 it's always a good idea to not buy a first year. Having been thrilled and bought several first model year BMW's I learned the hardway about how unstable they are. The first year of the 211, current SL500 and a few other MB's had a lot more issues than later ones.

I hope your car stabilizes.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 G63
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
The thing for me that is disappointing about this story is that Mercedes was supposedly improving the quality of the E Class. This sounds like a setback in that regard.
Emilner may have some issues with his new E, but I highly doubt that this is a model-wide phenomenon. There are several others on this board who don't have any issues with our new 212's. I can't imagine all of the 211's rolled out of the factory trouble free either. These are complicated machines and issues will be present.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
Hasn't stabalized yet.

Now my garage door openers are no longer holding memory overnight. Yesterday they lost memory for the second time, I reprogrammed them and they worked for a few hours. This morning they are a no go, they are not working again!!

This to me is VERY frustrating!! These transmitters have been in the last 15 or so vehicles I have owned and I have never had nor HEARD of a problem with them!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 12-02-2009, 09:52 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I would seriously do everything I can if I were you to try and get out of that car. Probably an impossible task, but ya never know, that's a LOT of issues.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
it's always a good idea to not buy a first year.
Soooo true. I know this from hand because we have purchased a couple GMC SUV's first year and got burt with them reallly bad.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:47 PM
ipp

W166 ML350 BT
I think it looks hot!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by 303E550
Emilner may have some issues with his new E, but I highly doubt that this is a model-wide phenomenon. There are several others on this board who don't have any issues with our new 212's. I can't imagine all of the 211's rolled out of the factory trouble free either. These are complicated machines and issues will be present.
Quality is a statistical thing. Even one problem car out of such a small sample isn't a good. It is widely acknowledged that the quality on the early W211's was crap. The W211 improved over the years and the expectation was the W212 would be an extension of that improvement.

As far as the complicated machine argument goes, as far as I'm concerned Mercedes shouldn't overextend their capability to put together a flawless product in favor of uncontrolled complications.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 12-02-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:12 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

The real interesting thing will be how well all the incredibly extensive Standard, and especially Optional tech stuff (many/most of which are Safety oriented) will hold up, and in 5-8 years, how much of a "stay the hell away" aspect the 212 could have due to how much $$ it would cost to fix one of the many tech problems that can arise.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 G63
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Quality is a statistical thing. Even one problem car out of such a small sample isn't a good. It is widely acknowledged that the quality on the early W211's was crap. The W211 improved over the years and the expectation was the W212 would be an extension of that improvement.

As far as the complicated machine argument goes, as far as I'm concerned Mercedes shouldn't overextend their capability to put together a flawless product in favor of uncontrolled complications.
Agreed, but we would be living in a dream world if we thought every car coming off the line was flawless. I am sure that Mercedes, as with most every other car manufacturer, would love to have that be true and strive for such a goal. Unfortunately, these are still machines, the best of which aren't fail-proof.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by ESIX3POWER
Looks like they sold you a lemon, try to return it.
My 2003 E500 fits the same category on poor reliability. I won't buy another car with airmatic suspension. Don't care good they are suppose to be.

I think the 2010 E350 is a better car than the 550 due to no airmatic. Granted I like the power but I just won't buy another with that system onboard. SBC brakes well that's another horror story I won't go into here.

I am considering buying the E350 but the 550 is out of the question due to reliability concerns.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:40 PM
ipp

W166 ML350 BT
I think you just are having a bad battery. I saw a brand E-class at my dealer and it was slammed like your's and I asked the dealer and he said it happens when the battery is drained, that could explain why the homelink loses it's settings too.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Even though the car starts fine?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:53 PM

Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Exclamation Not at All Impossible.

Originally Posted by K-A
I would seriously do everything I can if I were you to try and get out of that car.
Probably an impossible task, but ya never know, that's a LOT of issues.

"Probably an impossible task" Not so my friend!

If he were here in our state, I could tell him exactly what to do.

Here in Kallieforneia, there is what is know by Lemon-Law lawyers as the Song-Beverly Act.
I'm sure that NY probably has one also. Do a search under New York lemon laws.

In some cases, and agreement may be reached without having to go to court.

It does take a while to get into court if that becomes necessary, but it is well worth the wait
because when you do prevail, the manufacture is 'forced' to buy it back and you get almost
all the monies you have spent from the first time you compained about the problem(s).
You are charged only for the earliest mileages before you first complained.
The manufacture is forced by law to pay most all if not all the attornies fees.

How do I know all this? I am presently involved in such a case with my Hyundai Azera.

We do know that MBZ has been forced to do this. Here are some examples:
http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...arch_type=both
You will note that there is an older E-55 that had suspension issues also.

As you can see, this dealer seems to specialize in 'buy-back' vehicles,
so we do know it is done by many manufactures.

Life is too short to fool around with this lemon.
The sooner you consult a firm that specializes in lemon-law vehicles, the sooner
you will be able to get something else that will not drive you to the funny farm.

Get on with it now. Good luck!

Last edited by Green E-300 DT; 12-08-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:30 PM
ipp

W166 ML350 BT
Even though the car starts fine?
Not sure... But it seems to have something to do with power loss. A bad battery giving wrong current can result in very strange behaviors from the car. I remembered that from a thread I read at the BMW E60 forum a couple years ago.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by stanatl
The owner of my company is German and he said that in Germany they call this a "Monday Car". Never could figure out why they call them that but it's basically a car that has an unusual amount of problems that are atypical.
because everyone hates going to work on monday, including people who assemble cars... so if your car has more issues than normal, it was probably put together at the beginning of the week by some grumpy germans who wish they weren't at work that day..
Old 12-08-2009, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Well, its at the dealer to figure out the crashing suspension (which happens after 3 days of sitting) and the garage door opener loosing memory and hopefully fix one or two rattles. I have a GLK as a loaner, but I miss driving a car...
Old 12-09-2009, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Well, its at the dealer to figure out the crashing suspension (which happens after 3 days of sitting) and the garage door opener loosing memory and hopefully fix one or two rattles. I have a GLK as a loaner, but I miss driving a car...
That sucks. No other way to say or see it.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
Well, I got it back from the dealer last week after having the pump changed and well you guessed it, the rear is sitting on the floor again.

Back to the dealer we go...
Old 12-20-2009, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Well, I got it back from the dealer last week after having the pump changed and well you guessed it, the rear is sitting on the floor again.

Three strikes, and MBUSA is out. Game over.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:32 PM

Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
And People Wonder . .

Well, I got it back from the dealer last week after having the pump changed
and well you guessed it, the rear is sitting on the floor again.

This is why I will not have anything to do with any vehicle that has this type of suspension.

Especially if it is no longer covered by a full factory warranty.

But you have a newer supposedly covered S class and the dealer cannot seem to fix it properly.

It is indeed too bad. What a shame! MBZ needs to address
these types of problems that are occuring at the dealer level.

Good luck to you.
I trust you like lemon pie. Here, have some more! (Sorry, kidding of course!)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E550 slammed! (NOT on purpose!)