E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Question regarding the w212 DRL's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 e550
Question Question regarding the w212 DRL's

Hey guys im supposed to pick up my new e550 this friday hopefully ( cant wait) and i was wondering why some pictures ive seen of the light switch (inside the car) have a button for the drls next to the turning light switch and some dont? sorry if its a dumb question but im just curious. does it vary on models or packages? i put the p2 package on mine and alot of other things but ive seen pictures with cars just like mine and some have them while others dont
Old 04-27-2010, 06:59 PM
DHI

'10 ML550, 996 G T 3
Could it be that the switch in question is for the rear fog light? DRLs are automatic.

Originally Posted by Elvisiano
Hey guys im supposed to pick up my new e550 this friday hopefully ( cant wait) and i was wondering why some pictures ive seen of the light switch (inside the car) have a button for the drls next to the turning light switch and some dont? sorry if its a dumb question but im just curious. does it vary on models or packages? i put the p2 package on mine and alot of other things but ive seen pictures with cars just like mine and some have them while others dont
Old 04-27-2010, 07:04 PM

2010 e550
hmm maybe? like some e classes you can turn the switch to the right one click and pull it out but others you cant?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:40 PM

W212 E350 4matic, E60 530i
The switch besides the turning light switch is for FOG Light (LED).. It is a new version for production start Feb/Mar.. The older version was integrated all light+Fog light in the turning switch (you pull the turning switch to turn on Fog..etc).

For Canada, the DRL is automatic,, for US, I think you can select.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:43 PM

2010 e550
Originally Posted by Stockwell
The switch besides the turning light switch is for FOG Light (LED).. It is a new version for production start Feb/Mar.. The older version was integrated all light+Fog light in the turning switch (you pull the turning switch to turn on Fog..etc).

For Canada, the DRL is automatic,, for US, I think you can select.
ohhh ok thanks alot now that makes more sense!
Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Clarification on the switch

For the new headlamp switch which is being phased in (A at 12 o'clock position and no 0 position). The buttons next to the light switch are in one of two configurations. Cars without BiX headlights (w/o USA P2) will have 2 buttons next to the switch. One for the front foglamps (the inner light on the double round setup) and one for the rear foglamp. For cars with BiX headlights (w/ USA P2), there is only one button next to the switch. This is for the rear foglamp.

The DRLs are controlled from the setting in the instrument cluster and are not changeable via the switch.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by silberrosa
For the new headlamp switch which is being phased in (A at 12 o'clock position and no 0 position). The buttons next to the light switch are in one of two configurations. Cars without BiX headlights (w/o USA P2) will have 2 buttons next to the switch. One for the front foglamps (the inner light on the double round setup) and one for the rear foglamp. For cars with BiX headlights (w/ USA P2), there is only one button next to the switch. This is for the rear foglamp.

The DRLs are controlled from the setting in the instrument cluster and are not changeable via the switch.
Thanks for that info. Can you clarify how the front fogs on cars with intelligent lights come on (I mean the foglamp mode, I know there are no separate front fogs)? Do the front lights change to fog lamp mode when the rear fog is selected or does the main switch still have the traditional "pull to activate fogs" mode (for the front)?
Old 05-01-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Palladium E350 Sedan
does anyone use the "rear fog light" fuction? i don't see a lot of use for it. probably just your car butt for visible to other drivers behind you?
Old 05-02-2010, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Originally Posted by icelandicmax
does anyone use the "rear fog light" fuction? i don't see a lot of use for it. probably just your car butt for visible to other drivers behind you?
In my experiences with the rear fog light, it seems to help other drivers see you in heavy fog/rain conditions.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The intelligent lights for USA cars lack some of the functions compared to the ECE and ROW cars due to legal restrictions. One of these functions is the foglamp mode which is no allowed by US regulations. Therefore, there are no separate foglamps on P2 equipped cars. Given the overall quality of the BiX lights, the benefits of foglamps are in my opinion minimal.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E400S4 '17
Originally Posted by icelandicmax
I use the fog lamps on my ML320 all the time driving in my neighborhood. They light the side of the road well for walkers, bikes and other hazards on the roadside. The ML500 has them lower down and they are not as effective. I have not tried the W212.

Has anyone compared the P1 and P2 lights?

DRLs would be useful here in Pennsylvania because the law requires lights to be on in work areas and it is easy to forget. I saw the P2 LEDs and they were very bright from a distance. Eye-catchingly white also.

I use my rear fog lamp whenever I have trouble seeing the vehicles in front within a safe distance due to rain. There is only one fog lamp that activates in my driver side brake light assembly. It is super bright and not mistakable as a tail light. A driver behind would prefer it was off under normal driving conditions. IIRC in some countries it is illegal to drive with fog lamps during normal conditions.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
E350 with P1

Not sure how your car works, but on mine, you have to turn the lights ON (not on auto) to pull out the switch once for front fog and twice for front and rear fogs. The Operator's manual shows a completely different switch from what is in my car.
Also, with my DRL's "activated," the headlights and taillights will come on when it begins to darken, even though switch is set on O.
BTW, cannot drive with just fog lights on.

Last edited by El Cid; 05-08-2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: addition