E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

e550 sedan or coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2010 | 09:49 PM

NONE
e550 sedan or coupe

I dont no what to buy a fully loaded e550 sedan or coupe. im coming out of a 2008 dct m3. i dont like the jerky tranny and bumpy ride. i;ve drove both MB i dont need a sedan no kids. i like 4matic but i like the way the coupe drive a little better. i just feel the coupe is a little funny looking and maybe a little of a girly ride. not trying to offend so i'm sorry in advance. any help would be great.....
Old 05-16-2010 | 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by BRETT0429
I dont no what to buy a fully loaded e550 sedan or coupe. im coming out of a 2008 dct m3. i dont like the jerky tranny and bumpy ride. i;ve drove both MB i dont need a sedan no kids. i like 4matic but i like the way the coupe drive a little better. i just feel the coupe is a little funny looking and maybe a little of a girly ride. not trying to offend so i'm sorry in advance. any help would be great.....
Maybe you should base your decision on these questions :
How often would I carry passengers in the rear seat ?
How important is the styling (coupe v's sedan) to me ?

After seeing both coupes and sedans in the flesh, I have to agree with you that the sedan is the better looking car. It is also a real E Class, whereas the coupe is based on the C Class chassis (same wheelbase) and has a C Class central dash.

Depending on whether you plan to lease or purchase outright, it would appear that the sedan seems to be far outselling the coupe, which might be a factor in future resale.
Old 05-16-2010 | 08:23 AM
DHI

'10 ML550, 996 G T 3
I actually prefer the styling of the coupe over the sedan. Sleeker and more dramatic from the front, the back and overall stance. Definitely sportier.
However the coupe has ZERO leg room at the rear, eliminating that option for myself.
If you want something that looks sporty and still plush (as opposed to the M3) the coupe looks like would fit the bill.
Have you considered the A5/S5 ?

Last edited by DHI; 05-16-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-16-2010 | 09:42 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
IMO the Coupe is an awkward, goofy mess of a design. Plus it's really a C-Class with some E Tech, badge, and price.

Sedan all the way IMO.
Old 05-16-2010 | 10:19 AM

2010 E550; 2011 GLK350
I thought I wanted a coupe. The exterior styling is attractive. However, the interior is where the car is driven. The exterior is only for people who watch you drive. So, would you rather look good or feel good?

I had a 2005 E500. Although it drove superbly, it had computer problems that Mercedes would never resolve. So, I traded it in for a 2007 Lexus LS460. Sure, the Lexus exterior looked good, and the interior was certainly plush (many times more over the E500), but it drove like a boat. And, it was actually too roomy inside. My wifed enjoyed it, but she is oblivious to driving performance. The Lexus eventually revealed its flaws and Toyota/Lexus wasn't stepping up to the plate. So, I figured I would revisit Mercedes. Since it had been a few years since Mercedes ditched Chrysler, I figured Mercedes may have its mojo back.

After driving the boat and experiencing the pleasure of driving a coupe (BMW M6), I figured I should get the E coupe. So, I went to my dealer and made the deal. Fortunately, it was late in the day on a Saturday, so they couldn't prep the car and deliver it until Monday. However, I was to be out of town for the week. So, they loaned me an E sedan. Immediately I realized what I would be missing if I were to get the coupe.

The sedan is SO much better than the coupe AND it is a much better value. Mercedes essentially put an E badge on a CLK and raised the price. The E coupe and sedan are two entirely different cars, yet the prices are nearly the same. Although the 2010 E sedan has been stripped down compared to the 2005 E, the E coupe has even less to offer. For example, Drive Dynamic seats are a must have to me. It is not even offered as an option in the coupe. Sure, MBUSA took away the dynamic seat from the passenger side, but at least it is available on the dirver's side with the sedan.

So, it really comes down to, would you rather look good or feel good.
Old 05-16-2010 | 12:14 PM

2010 e550 coupe , 2010 ML550
its funny. he who drives a coupe will say coupe he who drives a sedan will say sedan.

its all in what you want !!!! sedans are everywhere. i also think age plays a big role.

im 29years old... in a sedan one might think its daddy's car.
Old 05-16-2010 | 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
I don't understand why people keep referring to the underpinnings of the coupe as being a problem. Sure, they're from a C-Class. Does that somehow make it a lesser car than the sedan?

I have both a 2010 E350 4MATIC Sport sedan and E550 coupe and while I completely agree that the interior of the coupe is nowhere near as elegant as the sedan, from a driving/handling/ride perspective, I would not have known that the actual unibody structure was different were it not from all the ramblings on the forums. The cars obviously drive differently, but the powertrain and suspension set-up is also totally different.
Old 05-16-2010 | 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
it's a pretty simple decision no offense do u need 4 doors or 2 doors? do you need a bench that can (maybe) hold 3 in the back or just 2?

i actually kind of regret not buying a coupe now, idk why. probably would've preferred a CLK500 or something.
Old 05-16-2010 | 05:29 PM

2010 E350 1999 Ninja ZX7R 2006 Ninja ZX10R
Even though their both an E class it's apples & oranges. I went to the dealer intending to buy a coupe for my wife and ended up buying the sedan . I was surprised that my young 5' tall wife chose the sedan . I guess at the end of the day it was the test drive that sold her.
Old 05-20-2010 | 11:59 AM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Get the coupe

Originally Posted by BRETT0429
If you don't need a sedan, then don't get one! I personally love the coupe's style and lines and find the back seat reasonable and I have three kids, 8, 6 and 2 so my older two fit fine. In fact if i do get the coupe in the spring my oldest will be legal to ride in the front, although it would not be my first choice.

I simply cannot see myself driving the sedan at my age. I am 38 and the car looks like it is made for people in their 50s. Don't mean to flame but is my opinion about the style...too square, too old looking, cadillac dts-ish frankly. It does have a great presence on the road, but like I said, if you are over 50, this is a perfect looking car.

If i go with a sedan, i have resigned myself to the fact that it will have to be either the XF, M56 or 550i. Leaning towards XF.